My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sears Aficionado
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1976 WheelHorse A-100
62-10BP01

While we're trying to figure out the massive wiring problem on our 76 A-100 restoration I thought that I'd pull the mower out and give it a good lookover. Honestly I'm a bit disappointed.

The center mandrel/spindle is the only one out of the mix that spins freely. One of the other two is super hard to turn and the other won't move at all. All of the idler pulley's attached are extremely brittle. I tried freeing up the pulley's but ended up warping the pulley's(they're seized on there pretty good). I folded one pulley over and took an impact wrench to the bolts that hold the housing bearing on. I got one off out of 12, the other two(on the same assembly) stripped out and I'm guessing that this is going to be the case for the rest.

After checking over e-bay and Toro it looks as though with replacement cup bearings (if they're even needed), spindle bearings, hardware and possibly the assistance of a machine shop to press the bearings I'm looking at more than a $100 per assembly (out of 3) on top of misc. hardware. We'd love to actually use the fully restored WheelHorse.

Tips,ideas, suggestions?

:trink39:

~Ed

·
Oldbie
1,605 Posts
Ed.... I have looked at your tractor on partstree.com. (made in 76 &77).
There were a couple of mowers available. But the 36"
rear discharge deck seems to be the one used by a majority
of wheel horses with the tach a matic system.
You could likely pick up another whole 36" deck for $50 to $100
in good condition. Save your old deck for parts. Perhaps there
is something unique about your deck hanger system that you
may need when you find a new-used deck. You can find a used
deck from another member close to your location, craigslist or
go to a local tractor swap meet.
Let us know how you make out. This is an easy one (depending
on what area of the country you live of course).
Whatever you decide to buy MAKE SURE YOU STICK WITH
A DECK MADE AFTER 1973! You won't have any surprizes.

·
Sears Aficionado
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ed.... I have looked at your tractor on partstree.com. (made in 76 &77).
There were a couple of mowers available. But the 36"
rear discharge deck seems to be the one used by a majority
of wheel horses with the tach a matic system.
You could likely pick up another whole 36" deck for $50 to $100
in good condition. Save your old deck for parts. Perhaps there
is something unique about your deck hanger system that you
may need when you find a new-used deck. You can find a used
deck from another member close to your location, craigslist or
go to a local tractor swap meet.
Let us know how you make out. This is an easy one (depending
on what area of the country you live of course).
Whatever you decide to buy MAKE SURE YOU STICK WITH
A DECK MADE AFTER 1973! You won't have any surprizes.
Thanks for the reponse. What's funny is that the deck that we have is definitely side discharge. I just assumed that the pics (on the Toro) website were universal between the two. The deck itself is in great shape. Unfortunately the mandrels are going to be the problem. I've been checking over E-Bay and Craigslist. They get plucked up pretty quick.

:trink40:

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
ed, if you can get the mandrels off the deck, replacement bearings are available, the non greaseable ones, for a set of 3, is about 68 bucks on ebay right now, plus shipping. to get the pullies off, drill a hole down through the collar, then fracture it with a punch. they'll come right off, the open a vise and put the mandrel over it and drive the bearing out with a hammer. to put the new bearing in, start it by light tapping it , then use the vise to drive the bearing into the housing. this is how i've changed them. good luck, hope this helps. pullies ar a few buck apiece at your local dealer.:thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
ed, if you can get the mandrels off the deck, replacement bearings are available, the non greaseable ones, for a set of 3, is about 68 bucks on ebay right now, plus shipping. to get the pullies off, drill a hole down through the collar, then fracture it with a punch. they'll come right off, the open a vise and put the mandrel over it and drive the bearing out with a hammer. to put the new bearing in, start it by light tapping it , then use the vise to drive the bearing into the housing. this is how i've changed them. good luck, hope this helps. pullies ar a few buck apiece at your local dealer.:thThumbsU
Fan, I think we'll give this a go. Any leads on a seller on e-Bay that stocks these mandrels? Or is it hit and miss?

Thank you for the great info! :fing32:

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
joe, here's a link to an ebay sale for the bearing. see if this is the one you need. if so, ask the seller if he has more. i'm sure he does. i've dealt with him several times, he's a straight shooter!:thThumbsU

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spindle-Bearing-fits-Wheel-Horse-103119-230-078-TORO_W0QQitemZ300319210441QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ec6b7bc9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A7|294%3A50

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
sorry joe, can't get the link to work, the seller is: antchip49ju. go to wheelhorse on ebay, search the seller. in the meantime, i'll try again on the link.

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts