My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 or so Wheelhorse 416-H with a 42" deck. It has just shy of 1000 hours. The engine starts and runs great, the tranny whines a little, especially up hill and under acceleration, and the steering, hydrostatic drive lever, deck linkage, etc has 30 years of looseness, if you know what I mean. Everything works still and for 30 years old, I think it's still a decent tractor with a lot of life left in it.

What would you say the value of it is? I also have an old PECO leaf collector (with a engine that runs great once its warmed up, but is a royal PITA to start), a dump cart, and fertilizer spread (that I never use) I could sell with it to sweeten the deal. I'm thinking for $1k someone could get a sweet setup.

The reason I want to sell is because I recently bought a Cub Cadet XT2 GX54D. I love it. Mows great, very powerful, K62 locking tranny, 54" fabricated deck. I feel like I should keep the Wheelhorse, because it's a cool old tractor, but I don't have the room for two tractors and with this new tractor, I don't have a need for the Wheelhorse...unless I buy a tiller for it, which I could use seldomly, but that's even more stuff to store.

Restoring the Wheelhorse would be a fun project...****, I hate being indecisive haha

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 416 Wheel Horse is a lot more tractor then the lawn tractor you just bought.
I know, but the Cub Cadet has a bigger deck, much easier steering, a much tighter turning radius, and foot pedal style fwd and reverse (and a more powerful engine). All this make it much more enjoyable to use. When it comes down to it, the Cub Cadet does what I want and need a tractor to do better. Being 30 years newer has something to do with it too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think $1000 would be a very fair price for it, the only thing that would cause pause for me would be that onan engine

The biggest problem you're probably gonna have is finding somebody who can or will recognize the value in it. A lotta of today's folks will see it as old, prone to break down, and half way to the cost of a new mower.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive got an old wheel horse I would give away, no rust, pretty , but the belt drive on the mower deck is absurd. never sat out. im in northern Il. can send photos by phone number but have not learned how to post photos here... from the 60's I would guess

·
Member #495
3,826 Posts
$1000 is easily what it's worth. I sold my 416-8 with a 42" deck for $800 to a friend, but had it listed at $1000 in similar shape for anyone else. In my area, Wheel Horses don't come cheap but as John C said, you have to find the buyer. Our market is flooded with Craftsman LTs and those beat up go for $500-600. Very nice tractor, industrial engine, heavy duty rear end, they're worth it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts