My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good morning to all-- i have a model 310-8 kohler engine- all of a sudden i keep blowing the 5 amp fuse when i turn the key switch to the on position- ? i just cannot pin down the cause- should this fuse be energized in only the on position i would think it would only be when you turn the key to the start position- i am thinking i may need a starting switch/ any suggestions thank- you !!

·
16,804 Posts
Sounds more like a 'dead short"--can you trace that wire? Do you have the diagram for that tractor? That can be had from TORO website..

Also--can't be much draw--with only a 5amp. fuse..

glenn

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was also thinking a 5 amp is`nt much- i do have the wiring diagram i was thinking the switch is shorting out- put a nwe switch on it and it still pops- wrong switch?

·
16,804 Posts
Yepper--you could install a new switch, but , basically--that's just throwing parts at something that might not be....

I would want to knmow what is going on, first..

Let me interject another idea--as this happened to my Scott's mower.
Little mites , or some insect--got down in the key hole, and made a nest (twice)--I cleaned it out best I could with an ice pick--then compressed air, then gave it a shot of CRC electronic cleaner---now I stick a little wedgie in the key hole when done mowing....

Stuff never ends...

glenn

·
Registered
250 Posts
check to make sure the bare parts of the switches spade wire terminals under the switch are not touching each other, they can get bent when installing a new switch too, they bend easily... is the battery holding charge?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
What is the long model number of your tractor? Some of the wiring diagrams Toro has posted are not correct for the 310-8. The engine spec number would help.

Garry

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
In the instructon booklet that came with my WH 211, it has a schematic for the 310 which shows a 5 amp fuse in the hourmeter/voltmeter circuit and a 15 amp in the solenoid/start circuit. Not 310-8 specifically.
The 5 amp would blow if the hourmeter or voltmeter is defective. Attaches to a pink wire. It's energized in the 'run' position, only.
The 15 amp would blow if the solenoid/starting circuit is defective. Attaches to a red wire.
Headlights are AC, off the engine with no fuse, right?
UNLESS, as Garry says, published 310 schematics sometimes aren't correct.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts