My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question -- picked up a pair of plastic & concrete wheel weights for my 312 but they did not come with the bolts to attach them to the rear rims.

What length bolts do I need to install them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Easiest is to get a length of the correct diameter all-thread and cut to fit using nuts and lock washers on both ends.

Usually careful measurement leads to buying sized bolts that are too short or too long :fing20:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea -- I was thinking about that as my parents have that setup on their Cub Cadet. However, I saw the same wheel weights that I have on eBay with installation bolts included, and therefore I figured I would ask. :thanku:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Horses have deep offset rear rims and the included bolts are usually too short.

BTW, next time you need wheel weights get them from Sears when on sale. Their 55lb GT weights fit most 12" rear rims.

·
16,487 Posts
I used the same tractor ;last year--I believe the bolts I used were

3/8" X 6 1/2"--and I cut about a inch off where they protruded.
I bought the galvanized deck -carriage head bolts @ Lowes. Put them in from the back side--put flat washer and nut on the outside of the weights...

·
Registered
390 Posts
I used the same tractor ;last year--I believe the bolts I used were

3/8" X 6 1/2"--and I cut about a inch off where they protruded.
I bought the galvanized deck -carriage head bolts @ Lowes. Put them in from the back side--put flat washer and nut on the outside of the weights...
3/8 sounds smaller than I used. Thinking it was 1/2".

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Horses have deep offset rear rims and the included bolts are usually too short.

BTW, next time you need wheel weights get them from Sears when on sale. Their 55lb GT weights fit most 12" rear rims.
I like sears -- I've got an old Craftsman II with 55lb weights on it and I fear the day I have to remove them because they've been on there for 20 years. I'll keep this in mind if I ever get another tractor and need to install wheel weights.

As for the ones I just got, they came as a combination with a dozer blade and wheel chains.

·
16,487 Posts
3/8 sounds smaller than I used. Thinking it was 1/2".
You are correct__my boo-boo! I went out and measured them yesterday, just to ck, and they are 1/2" X 6-1/2"..
Tks for bringing to my attention...

glenn

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Next Question...

When you mount the wheel weights onto the rims, where do the bolts attach to? Are there pre-drilled holes in the rims or do I need to fabricate a clamping method (such as on some newer Cub Cadets)?

(Obviously I haven't yanked the hub caps off my tractor yet -- Haven't needed to pull it out to mow in over a week).

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I've found that if I get my hands dirty and look, that most of my questions are answered without having to hunt and peck for letters.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Next Question...

When you mount the wheel weights onto the rims, where do the bolts attach to? Are there pre-drilled holes in the rims or do I need to fabricate a clamping method (such as on some newer Cub Cadets)?

(Obviously I haven't yanked the hub caps off my tractor yet -- Haven't needed to pull it out to mow in over a week).

Thanks!!
There should be holes already.

An idea to get the right bolt length, get a stick, or a piece of wire or string and put it through the wheel weight and tire, cut it flush then ad 1" or so to the final length.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fair enough.

What do I have to go and do today on July 4th? A wedding... Fireworks... I've already taken apart the greasy deck spindle on my old Snapper Comet. I think I can swing working on another filthy tractor :D

·
16,487 Posts
Fair enough.

What do I have to go and do today on July 4th? A wedding... Fireworks... I've already taken apart the greasy deck spindle on my old Snapper Comet. I think I can swing working on another filthy tractor :D
Yes--look in from back side of steel wheels--four square holes in there--use two of them and run the carriage head bolts in from, the backside---put the washer and locknut on the outside of the weight.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts