My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Can anyone tell me what size wheel weights I need for a 520H rear wheels. The tires are 23 x 10.5-12? I had and ad on Craig's list and someone responded wanting to know what size I needed. How are they sized?

Also a quick question on tire chains. I have them, but how do you put them on? Lay them out and drive over them, then hook?

Thanks

David

·
Oldbie
1,605 Posts
Also make sure you have the width of the chain evenly distributed on each edge of
the tire. The stationary hook goes on the inside of the tire. The sinch hook goes on
the outside. I know it is trial and error.... Hook the inside stationary hook first.
"Hopefully" you can get the sinch hook on with mild resistance on the outside.
If your chain is loose....try again. Move the stationary hook up to the next chain loop.
And so on until the chains are on snug. Sometimes.....I even will tension the chains with
bungy cords stretched across the inside and out. Sometimes...unexpected slack will
cause the chains to shift and fall off at an in-oportune moment.
Good luck.

·
Member #495
3,827 Posts
I take my tires off to put the chains on. If you have impact tools and a floor jack we're talking no time at all to do. I drop the pressure in the rear tires and then install. Get them really snug if you can. Once its cold, you don't want to have to touch them until you take them off in spring.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
David...no need to put the chains on this winter. We're not going to get any snow to push around. Maybe a small dusting, sweepable, but nothing to push.

Find a warm place whee you can work.
I lay my chains out over a 2x4, leaving no chain on top of the 2x4. Pull the tractor backwards, centering over the 2x4. Apply parking brake, hook up the 'S' hook on the chassis side, then the 'bugger' on the outside. Check the tire pressure, add if needed. Apply tight cords across the outside of the chains to keep frpm slapping. Wire any extra chain to the existing chain so it doesn't catch on anything, ie. chassis, brake rod, tranny rod, etc.
Put cover over machine.
You're done until the spring.

While you're at it, put a couple coats of good automotive wax on the snow blade or in the blower chute. Snow will move more easy with it, plus, you're not doing it when it's snowing out.
Now you're done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.