My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm going to buy a used snowthrower for a 425 john deere, can I use it without wheel weights and chains. I'm about 300 lbs and am sitting right over the rear wheels. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
:MTF_wel: I'd say it won't hurt to try. If you find out you need more traction you can always add weight and chains later.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I believe you ought to buy the chains as a minimum (2 link spacing). If you hit ice your weight won't help much.

Also if that is a 47 blower you're talking about I don't think you outweigh it.

Loading your tires with a liquid medium is a cheap alternative to weights. There are quite a few threads on here about loading tires.

I'd just hate to see you in the middle of a snowstorm without enough weight.

·
Registered
722 Posts
You'll be alright without the weight but you will need the chains

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts

For :crybaby: crying out loud DDogg he weighs 300 pounds!! maybe the tractor would need more weight,,,,,,,,,,:lalala:
I was wondering what Helium in the tires would do ??:banghead3

·
Super Moderator
35,729 Posts
Katt, I weigh 285 and with the 37A snowblower on my 212 I had to have chains or it wouldn't go anywhere! I tried the 318 last year with my Ag's and no chains or weights and although it did better than the 212 it still needed the chiains on it. I'm hoping this year with filled tires, wheel weights and the cab that it'll be enough that I won't need chains!

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts

For :crybaby: crying out loud DDogg he weighs 300 pounds!! maybe the tractor would need more weight,,,,,,,,,,:lalala:
I was wondering what Helium in the tires would do ??:banghead3
I'm just a svelte 230, and I run 252 on the rear in suitcases, 75 plastic weight on each rear wheel, loaded ags at another 65 lbs/wheel, and I am still going to buy a set of 2-link chains before winter hits.

·
MTF Member
255 Posts
I use 4 suitcase weights, wheel weights, chains (2-link) and a cab on my 345. I love it and have no traction problems at all.

I have recently acquired a 318 and model 47 blower. I will be using chains (2-link), wheel weights and six suitcase weights.

Chains are an absolute must for ice. You could probably get away with running less weight if you had chains. But, where I live we get freezing rain and a lot of snow so I use weights and chains.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I weigh in around 265 and have 2 75lb weights on my wheels and ag tires on my 110 and made it through most of last winter without chains until one of the last snow storm we had. Had some ice mixed in and couldnt get back up into my driveway. Finally after about 15 4th gear takes offs I got up it. It wasnt pretty but chains got ordered as soon as I got back in the house. After installing the chains I struggled a lot less and glad I bought them. If it was me I'd go ahead and buy them if it's in the budget. Better to have them on hand then be without them when a doozie of a storm blows through. Plus what could be wrong with more tractor goodies?

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
I know DDogg knows but for those who don't with my back i can't take a chance.
My 318 had wheel weights and chains and metal enclosure. Had in reserve 6 suitcases but never used them, ( model #49's are front heavy). Now with an X520
I admit I way overkill still. My X520 has wheel weights chains dif-lock HDAP's weather enclosure and this year I am adding a bucket holder with sand. So have I been stuck.....
NO. but I have had to use the split brake on the 318 MANY times.

I am very interested, since I am restoring a 175 with 37a?? snow blower, how yo guys did and are doing. Very interesting and much different.

·
22,744 Posts
Hey guys, I'm going to buy a used snowthrower for a 425 john deere, can I use it without wheel weights and chains. I'm about 300 lbs and am sitting right over the rear wheels. Thanks
:MTF_wel2:

I tried running a tractor and snowblower with chains and no extra weight precisely one time. Never again!!!

My winter rides have been equipped with calcium or RimGuard loaded tires, wheel weights and chains, or equivalent traction enhancement, ever since. With enough weight on the 3PH I have foregone the wheel weights on my MF1655 and GC2310, and the 4wd 2310 doesn't wear chains, but both are readily available and can be installed in short order.

As a minimum, rear tires get loaded with the heaviest fluid available, that isn't calcium, before the tractor is qualified for snow clearing in my book. The 26x12-12's on my 1655 carried more calcium than you weigh, 160 lb. each, and if it was snowblowing, it would get the wheel weights as well as the chains that it wears all the time.

Our tractors are comparable in size and I weigh 220. Believe me when I say that you cannot have too much traction for snow work, and it is way too easy to not have enough.

Weight in and on the rear tires and wheels is for traction, weight on the rear of the tractor is to counterbalance the weight of the snowblower in the carry position and add traction when the blower is on the ground.

If you have a backblade, as I do, you need all the weight in the rear wheels that you can get so that you can use both implements at the same time.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
When I had my 425 I used AG's with rear wheel weights and a FEL for snow removal. I've used chains in the past and I hate them. I don't think you need the chains. slkpk

·
I color outside the lines
2,159 Posts
You need chains. I don't care if you weigh 700# you still need traction. Weight does not help much on ice. The weight helps offset the blower hanging over the front but you still need something with bite.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,319 Posts
Pushing snow, as opposed to blowing it, with my 445 needed wheel weights and chains. Upgraded to 4wd x728 before last winter and as a test, I left weights and chains off to see if I really needed them. After second storm, and just as the third was predicted, I sold to a sellers market for more than I paid originally (20 years ag0).

Here is a shot of the 445 pushing back the sides of my 3000' drive in prep for a next dump.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Use chains, wheel weights and SIX 42 lb weights hanging off the back of the 332 with my model 49 blower. Works great.

·
Registered
417 Posts
:MTF_wel: I'd say it won't hurt to try. If you find out you need more traction you can always add weight and chains later.
I tried that, did OK during the first snow storm last season, but it kept getting stuck during the second storm (slipped on my side trying to pull the tractor back, I hurt for weeks afterwards). I rushed out right before the 3rd storm of the season and was able to get my hands on the last set of chains and that was a life saver for the 3rd and 4th snow storms of the season.

So you can try to get by without them, but if you have more than a few snow storms this season, you may find the dealership out of stock when you decide to buy.

I plan to order my snow plow and wheel weights in October for this coming winter. If you plan on waiting, the chains, weights and plows go pretty quick when the weather man is forecasting snow storm. They don't normally stock a huge amount of this stuff. It's more panic buying before a storm type sales I think.

·
Registered
865 Posts
i push snow with the 345 and only use chains, no weights.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts