My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finall came up with an idea to help me mount the wheel weights. Haven't got what it takes anymore with only two hands to hold it up there till I can get a bolt in. This is much easier. I already had the hydrulic motorcycle lift sitting doing nothing and some old angle iron in the corner. All I had to get was some 5/8 all thread and some nuts from Menards.

Attachments

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
14,107 Posts
Oh WOW! I NEVER thought of THAT.... I did the wheel weights on Ernie using my ATV lift (very similar to your motorcycle lift), but those heavy buggers kept shifting and falling off at the most inopportune times! That's a HECK of a good idea! And I even have some 1/2" threaded rod kicking around! Do you just have the weight hanging on the rod? IE, you don't have it bolted on? So that you do the top and bottom bolt up onto the rim then pull back the lift?

·
Super Moderator
15,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh WOW! I NEVER thought of THAT.... I did the wheel weights on Ernie using my ATV lift (very similar to your motorcycle lift), but those heavy buggers kept shifting and falling off at the most inopportune times! That's a HECK of a good idea! And I even have some 1/2" threaded rod kicking around! Do you just have the weight hanging on the rod? IE, you don't have it bolted on? So that you do the top and bottom bolt up onto the rim then pull back the lift?
No, it is not bolted on. I just set the wieght on the floor and manuever the lift into place to where it will insert the rods and lift it till it fits. I also put a jack under the tractor so I can rotate the wheel to line it up for the first ywo bolts then back the lift out and install the last tow bolts.

·
Super Moderator
15,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is another view. Now that I know it works I need to clean it up and paint it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Simple and effective. :fing32:
Yes it is. I was thinking about making something for several days but I was over thinking it. Was doing some cleaning in the garage last evening and when I moved the lift it came to me!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Thats a great idea, you're always thinking. Work smart not hard thats what I always say.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Looks good! :fing32:

If you don't have a lift of some kind, a piece of 1/2" smooth rod & a jack-stand (or blocks) work well. Just put the rod through the top hole in the weight, then the top hole in the wheel, lift onto the jack-stand & slide weight across:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

If you don't have a lift of some kind, a piece of 1/2" smooth rod & a jack-stand (or blocks) work well. Just put the rod through the top hole in the weight, then the top hole in the wheel, lift onto the jack-stand & slide weight across:
That's a good idea also. Simple and effective!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

grnspot110: Looks like an easy way to line up the holes!! It seems like liquid ballast in tires and rear wheel weights is the way to go. Is that less stress on the trans axle, also do you have wheel spacers on your tractor?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
grnspot110: Looks like an easy way to line up the holes!! It seems like liquid ballast in tires and rear wheel weights is the way to go. Is that less stress on the trans axle, also do you have wheel spacers on your tractor?
Personally, I don't like liquid in tires, holdover from calcium chloride days! I prefer cast iron.

No spacers, just a 420 set in wide position. ~~ grnspot

·
Super Moderator
15,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Super Moderator
15,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ahh I see. thanks KJD
I guess they make weights for these tractors but my old ones will work, just have the nuts sticking out, but no farther than the weight protrusion. If I wanted to put chains on it I would have to buy wheel spacers because of the AWS. With the AWD and HDAPS and weight I don't think I will need chains.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts

I got to try this and so simple.

I use to run double rims weights on one of my tractors before I went to liquid filled tires,
and they were a nut buster to install.................:thSick:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Great idea

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.