My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there are some guides out there on the best way to remove wheels from the transmission but can any of you give me some insight/help on this.

Hope the photos help. Also, the tires are original and about 45 years old. Can you typically still buy tires and maybe tubes, they are made by Carlisle. Does Carlisle carry all there old size tires as well. I know Sears sells the tires for around $45-50 and the tubes for $15.

Any help would be great!!!
Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that but I am in the process of dissasembling the whole tractor to attempt to do a restoration. And was wondering how to remove the entire wheel so then I could strip the rust and paint off and then repaint.

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
160 Posts
You could take 2 pieces of 1/4 inch flat stock, cut a U out of the center of one of them so it can slide over the back side of the axle and drill a hole in the center of the other. Bolt those pieces together across the mid section of the tire. Put a large bolt through the hole you drilled and put a nut on the other side. Tighten the bolt down, which will start to push against the end of the axle, hit it with a hammer every now and then and continue to tighten until the axle comes out.

Though the easiest way probably would be to take the transaxle apart, remove the axle from the transaxle and pound the axle out of the rim.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
I'd be really careful about hitting the wheel while it's on the axle. You could break something in the transaxle, or knock a snap ring off, meaning you have to disassemble the trans, at the least.
The use of a puller, such as jroy described, is much preferred to hammering.

·
Banned
2 Posts
when they are stuck on they are a real pain in the a$$ to get off ...what ever you do ..DO NOT HEAT THE RIM WITH TIRE ON IT ..It may blow up in your face and cause some serous injury's ...If you are going to use heat please remove the tire from rim ...Then use heat on the center of the rim but be careful not to burn the plastic spacer that gos in the trany

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
when they are stuck on they are a real pain in the a$$ to get off ...what ever you do ..DO NOT HEAT THE RIM WITH TIRE ON IT ..It may blow up in your face and cause some serous injury's ...If you are going to use heat please remove the tire from rim ...Then use heat on the center of the rim but be careful not to burn the plastic spacer that gos in the trany
He could always remove the valve stem prior to applying heat, no pressure build up. Fast, easy, simple.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm familiar with these type...the axle end is peened so the wheel will never come off that way. The trans must be opened,the axle taken out and the wheel slid off the opposite end. If theres an easier way, I havent found it yet. No circlip at the outer end of the axle,that would be too easy...

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
I'm familiar with these type...the axle end is peened so the wheel will never come off that way. The trans must be opened,the axle taken out and the wheel slid off the opposite end. If theres an easier way, I havent found it yet. No circlip at the outer end of the axle,that would be too easy...
Could you grind off the "mushroom", slide it off and then re-hammer the end?
Or after grinding/removal, drill and tap the axle to install a retaining bolt in the center ?

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
I read a thread somewhere that strongly stated that removing the valve stem may not be enough! They were talking about welding on a rim, but there is a point where the tire/tube starts gassing, and the pressure buildup is enormous. Tires have literally exploded, causing injuries, so I will not heat a rim while a tire is on it.

Here's the link:

http://www.msha.gov/Accident_Prevention/Tips/TireHeating.asp

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
You might want to get some"PB blaster",lay it on the side and wet it good.Do that for a couple of days then give it try.These boys will **** near weld themselves to the axle,via rust.Sometimes you have to cut the wheel off the axle--tough--but doable.:trink39:

·
Registered
685 Posts
He could always remove the valve stem prior to applying heat, no pressure build up. Fast, easy, simple.
BAD advice do not ever heat/weld on a wheel with the tire in place .Look up Pyrolysis !

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DID IT!!! Just jacked the tractor up and removed that snap ring (don't know the real name for it), and pulled and the two back wheels came right off. No heating, PB Blaster, and the wheel was only held on by that (snap ring?). Never did anything like this before and just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to damage any part of the transmission or wheel or anything else by just pulling.

Thanks for the responses!!!
Nick

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
When you put them back on, be sure to grease the axles so they don't rust. I use anti-sieze on mine, just because I have a lot of it. It works well.
I would assume that someone in the past greased your axles, which is why they wheels came off so easily.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Remember, I'm pullin' for ya! We're all in this together!
:00000060::00000060::00000060: Naaah, you're not!

Restore said he pulled it off all by himself!:sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
:00000060::00000060::00000060: Naaah, you're not!

Restore said he pulled it off all by himself!:sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sidelaugh
"Everybody wants to get into the act!" - Jimmy Durante :fing32: :trink39:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts