My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my first Wheel Horse its a 1977 with a 8 horse power tecumseh engine on it, its smoking (white smoke) pretty badly. I am assuming its burning oil. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Not sure if its worth re-building or replacing a ring, or if should just start looking for another motor. What's your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
White smoke usually indicates water. That is an air-cooled engine. Could there be quite a bit of water hiding in the muffler and you just need to steam it out?

I thought it was blue smoke that indicated oil burning. It is always nice to keep it stock if you can. Might look around for a shop or a motorcycle enthusiast that will help with the rings and bore.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I heard that blue smoke was oil as well. I got the mower on Tues. brought it home and cut grass for bout an hour, the smoke stopped and I thought great the smoke was just from the motor sitting for awhile. Then the motor started to strain, then it shut off and when I tried to re-start all that happened was the starter would click. So I got a socket and a breaker bar and turned the motor it was locked up. I put some oil in and the motor freed back up and now starts and runs but the smoke is back. So I cut with it for about 30 minutes. Then checked the oil and the oil level is defiantly lower. My first true garden tractor and I am excited to get out and till up my garden plot with it but this issue is putting a damper on that. Just wondering if there is an estimated cost for new rings, and if has to be bored?? Thank you for you time

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
It sounds like an overhaul is going to be needed. If it's the cast iron Tecumseh motor it can be overhauled and probably an over bore would be best, depends on what shape the cylinder is in. Standard rule is white smoke=water, blue smoke=oil, black smoke= too much fuel but sometimes the blue smoke is real light colored and looks white.

·
MTF senior member
203 Posts
Yep,It sounds like that tecumseh needs a bit of work,Are you planing on doing the work yourself?I know there are usualy tons of parts avalable for these engines through sites like eBay,you can probably even find an entire rebuild kit.The price to bore and hone a cylinder can usualy go from $25 from the more general machine shops,up to $50.00 and even $75.00 If you were to get the work done from a high end automotive or racing machine shop.There are also plenty of books out there that could also help you in the process of rebuilding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, I plan on doing the work myself except for the boreing and honing. Where would I find a book on re-building this motor? I am looking forward to this project, I have a friend that's going to help me between the two of us I feel sure we'll get-r-done. A book and some research before starting is the goal now. Thanks again. On an added note I started Ole Red up today and killed every misquote in a two block radius. :fing20:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Back in the day a 70'ish WH was our 1st tractor. It smoked too, my buddy said just keep the oil up and keep mowing with it. Well I did until it wouldn't start anymore.

When I got it fixed it is was so inexpensive that I cursed myself for inhaling all that smoke for so long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts