My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Small Engine Collector
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a wheel horse reo. The tractor it self is not to bad but the engine did not look good. The engine was a 6 hp tecumseha. Also that same day I picked up a junk sickle bar mower for parts. The engine was a 5 hp briggs & stratton quantum. I was not expecting the sickle bar mower to run because the previous owner said it had been sitting for 3 years and he had not worked on it. I was pretty lucky because on the first pull it started right up. So I figured why not put the engine on the sickle bar mower on the reo. So I took the motor off the reo in about a half an hour and stored it in the shed for parts. Then I realized the 6 hp engine had two shafts coming out the bottom. The main one is for driving the tractor and the small one is for powering the mower deck. So what I was thinking was to run every thing off the same shaft with the new motor. Any way my question is does the smaller smaller shaft spin faster or slower than the main shaft. If I know what speed the small shaft spins at compared to the big shafts speed I can change the size of th pully to make it around the right spped. So if anyone has one of these mowers running could you some how tell me the speed at wich the shafts spin at. :thanku::greendr: I will post some pics tomorrow!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Here is my Reo I am not sure about the motor I will take a look at mine today and see how it is setup.

Attachments

·
Small Engine Collector
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my wheel horse reo. The engine in the pictures is the origional engine. Here are the Pics!

Attachments

·
Small Engine Collector
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is what im taking the new engine off. It is a 5 hp briggs&stratton quantum. I am also going to use the tires on the back of the reo. Here are the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
I checked mine and the smaller pulley that is run off the camshaft is for reverse the main crankshaft pulley runs the forward motion and deck I am not sure how you could switch it unless you don't need reverse.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Ive also looked into a engine but there hard to find used found new engines but I aint going to buy a engine thats more than the reo
good luck

·
Small Engine Collector
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive also looked into a engine but there hard to find used found new engines but I aint going to buy a engine thats more than the reo
good luck
Where did you find these new engines! I would really like to know so I could look in to one.:thanku:

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Yeah, the stub shaft is off the cam, it spins 1/2 speed, and spins opposite the crankshaft.

I do not beleive briggs made many like this, nor tecumseh, generally for Tillers though.

If you do somehow find a new engine, Id expect someone would want 400+ for it, if they know what they have. My R-26 Wheel Horse had one, it was a V60 tecumseh...had a nasty rod knock and finally one day the governor stuck and it blew a fist sized hole in the block.

·
Small Engine Collector
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good luck
Where did you find the new engines? Are they for sale on the internet? What is the website?:thanku:

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Im wondering, why not just use the engine you already have that has the right shafts and pulleys already on it?

File the points, put a kit in the carb, will probably fire right up, and make alot more power than that old quantum briggs.

·
Small Engine Collector
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I need a few parts for the carb. Actually I probably need an entire carb. Mine had water in it and it is totally rusted up. The guy I got it from took the air filter off and left it out side. The motor is not siezed up so that is good but the carb is shot. If you knew a website where I could get a new carb I would definatley use the old motor. Thanks!

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts

·
Small Engine Collector
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the link. I actually dont mind the manual choke. I think I would actually prefer a manual choke. $54.00 is more than I wanted to spend but I guess that is how much carburetors are. I will definatly buy it if it means I will be able to use my reo but I might wait awile. Im a little low on cash right now and I have more important things to take care of first. Thanks!

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
I was kinda surprised at the prices, Ive paid, in the past 65-80 dollars for these carbs. Ive got a half dozen H and HH Tecs that could use new carbs...haha

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Ive been using them for abouit three years now beats the heck out of the 69.00 for the tecky carb it always pays to shop around
Ive used 10 at my special price of 48.00 and the tecky price of 69.00 you do the math
210.00 saving aint bad

1 - 19 of 19 Posts