My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked this up last night, the owner didnt know much about it other than its from the 60's.The engine is the one he gave me with it im not sure what it is either. My wheel horse knowledge isnt that expanded so i definitly appreciate any help. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,752 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
gwest ca: Would it matter what size motor came on it? Looks like a k141.

Im a newby and I am asking this out of a lack of knowledge. Would changing the motor from a 7 hp to 8 hp change the model or could you have a 552 with the same engine as a 702.

I am not sure how wheelhorse did their model #'s.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The 552 model number format was used through 1967 but the 701 and 702 missed for some reason.
The 1st 5 is the engine hp. (Lauson 5.5hp) Electric start with magneto ignition.
The 2nd 5 is electric start.
The 2 is the model year - 1962

The 702 is the same except for the 0
7 = 7hp and was a Kohler K161S-28626E with electric start and battery ignition.
0 in 1961 model 701 and 1962 model 702 does not mean recoil start
The 2 is the model year - 1962

There was also a model 502 in 1962 that used a Lauson with recoil start.

Since the ignition wiring is different for the 2 models you may be able to determine what it was by that.

All three models used the same manual you can download from the Files of
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals1_1/

Later a middle number 6 was used for electric start and 6 forward speeds (3+hi-low)
A 7 was used for electric start and hydro transmission.

There are other exceptions but this is enough confusion for now.

Garry

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses first of all. I have had a couple people tell me 552 but i dont know the the suttle differences to tell them apart. I will use the wiring to try and figure it out, i love this part of it learning everything about the machines. look for more questions to come.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have never seen either of these models but the ignition switch will be key to what engine it had. The original keys for both switches would be a 2-prong key.

The 552 switch for magneto ignition if it has 2 terminals connects the ignition wire to ground in the OFF position. If only one terminal it will be connected to the body of the switch in the OFF position. When ON that ignition terminal is not connected to anything.

The 702 switch is a normal ON OFF that powers the external ignition coil. Since the 702 with a Kohler used a combination starter/generator there is extra wiring for that.

Garry

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Are there any letters stamped next to the terminals on the switch? They may be B for battery, I for ignition and L for lights or A for accessories. I am surprised to see 3 terminals.

Garry
The only letters i see are S and M on the top two terminals. i couldnt find one on the lower terminal. Would that be starter and magneto? The only wire on the switch is on the M, im guessing that would be power to the mag? If so that would make this a 552?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The only letters i see are S and M on the top two terminals. i couldnt find one on the lower terminal. Would that be starter and magneto? The only wire on the switch is on the M, im guessing that would be power to the mag? If so that would make this a 552?
Correct but the M terminal does not power the magneto. The magneto is self powered and the ignition wire from it is simply grounded by the M terminal to kill the ignition.

The S terminal would be for a starter circuit unlike the one the 552 used because the push button takes care of that. There is a battery tray there so it should be an electric start model. This S terminal leads me to believe the other unmarked terminal would be B for battery. That would also indicate this switch is a 3-position OFF-RUN-START version with the start position spring loaded to return the switch to the run position.

Is it a 2-position or 3-position switch?

Thought I had these early switches figured out but guess I was wrong. I'm thinking now the switch you have is a replacement for the original
but what one?

Garry

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats right kills the power just like on my big tractors, brain fart. haha

I dont have a key for it, so i im not sure of how many positions, im going to see if i can get my CAT master switch key in to turn it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i cant get the switch to turn to see how many positions it has, i also need the mounting plate to mount the engine to the frame so i can use the H60 i got with it. How difficult would it be to make the H60 electric start?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went and picked up a charger 12 and lawn ranger today from the same guy i got this tractor from and had a surprise for me, the belt cover to answer the question of this thread! Its a 552, i just smiled when i picked it up.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts