My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Wheel Horse 877 that is having a carburetor problem most likely due to the fact that it has sat for quite some time. When i got the tractor from my neighbor, i had noticed he had the idle mixture screw all the way in. Its a Carter Model N carburetor. When i backed out the idle mixture 1 1/4 turns, and accelerated, sparks flew out the muffler. It did not do this when the screw was all the way in finger tight, it would just die if the choke was all the way in. Can someone tell me what the screws need to be set at turnwise for both the idle mixture, and high speed (Main screw)? Thanks!:fing20::thanku:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Here is the manual, but here's the purpose and positions of both the High Needle and Idle/Low needle. The one on the top is the high-speed needle and should be preliminarily set to two turns open from seated, the side needle is the low/idle needle and should be set to 1-1/2 turns open. Section 8 of the manual contains the carburetor procedures.

I would suggest you rebuild the carburetor if it has sat that long, or at least completely disassemble and clean it.

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphic...91-141-161-181-241-301-321-341_tp_2379_SM.pdf

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i have tried the adjustments, and they are not seeming to solve the issue, because when i release the parking brake, and the belt starts spinning the trans, the load makes the engine RPM go low, and it stalls. If i try to accelerate under the load, it stalls. Does this mean a carb rebuild, or just a good cleaning? Thanks.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Carburetor rebuild kits are only $20.00 as stated above. I suggest you rebuild the entire carburetor and make sure the fuel lines from the fuel tank are not clogged.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, you fellas were correct. A good rebuild kit paid off just an hour ago. New filter, tank valve. and some hose too! I rebuilt the carb, adjusted the screws to the proper setting, and the ole' Kohler fired right up, no smoke, and a big increase in power. No longer stalls when load is applied, so it's great! Thanks fellas!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts