My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going throught craigslist and found this listing.
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/grd/1904685440.html

Now I have a 1988 John Deere 165 has a hydro with 38" mower deck. It has been under cover and not started for a few years, I know it will need a good carb cleaning. When I was using it it ran fine the cut was great for such a small deck. I also got a 38" or 42" blower with it, now some of the under carriage for the snow blower is missing. I have all the manuals and parts manual for the snow blower. Now I sent a reply to the ad stating even swap, with no money at all for his C-85.

What do you think?

·
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK seeing as no one has replied. I got a reply back from the owner of the C-85, he says even swap where are you located, Hmmmmm, maybe I`m giving to much or his C-85 looks better in the picture then in real life. I hold off for some advise before calling him.

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
I'd make the trade. You're kinda stuck with the deal you offered now anyway. It would be awkward to back out or try to change the deal. I have a C85. You'll be happy with it I think. Very easy to work on and parts are available.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I dunno, it sounds to me like you're losing out. Do you have any pics of the 165?

If he said "YES" without even seeing yours then why do you think he'd do that? hint: it's better for him

·
Registered
203 Posts
One more thing. I see your John Deere has a FB460V engine and if it's in good shape I've seen them go for $200+ just for the engine. They are a very sought after engine because they are on many walk behinds in addition to John Deere's and Wheel Horses.

·
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My JD 165 is far from perfect, It needs to be restored to do it up right. Yeah I know the motor is used on other equipment, One thing I`m not crazy about are some of the prices that parts for a Kawasaki go for, check the price of a new starter it cost more then what I paid for the tractor. He has a JD 175, I`m guessing he wants to go green an build up his collection. I`ve had the JD 165 long enough and I don`t use it at all anymore. a garden tractor with a high and low transmission and better ground clearance would be better for plowing snow with a blade.

I have though about using the JD with the snow blower. But the little tractor sits to low to the ground, and that snow blower is heavy. I have a 28"walk behind snow blower so I got that end covered. Plus where my shelter is located it`s easier to load the equipment onto my truck before it snows, that is the way I`ve been doing it.

It`s loaded and locked up and them covered up. With the C-85 I`ll just use my small 5 by 8 trailer load it up and cover it and I`m ready to go after the snow stops. I`ve written him back and asked how he wants to handle the swap. If I don`t like what he says he doesn't know where I live and that will be the end of it, but I`ll tell him why. But I really don`t thing that will be a problem.

·
Wheel Horse Junkie!
158 Posts
Throw a blade, some ag tires, and wheel weights on that Horse and I know you will be pleasantly suprised on what that 8 horse can do. :thThumbsU

Since you really don't care for that Deere and don't really use it, I think both parties will be very happy with their transaction. Is it an even swap???? Who knows........but if you are both happy when you walk away, then that is all that matters.

·
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Throw a blade, some ag tires, and wheel weights on that Horse and I know you will be pleasantly suprised on what that 8 horse can do. :thThumbsU

Since you really don't care for that Deere and don't really use it, I think both parties will be very happy with their transaction. Is it an even swap???? Who knows........but if you are both happy when you walk away, then that is all that matters.
Thanks for the reply, yes both parties are happy, even swap. Bob sent me another email with some more info. on the Wheel Horse. He gave the model # 01-08K802 of the tractor; also the tractor was just serviced including a new drive belt and complete engine and trans-axle service. motor oil, all filters, 2 Qt`s. 80-90 gear oil. New spark plug.

I found a sicker with 10110721 stuck on the motor blower housing, below Kohler model #K181S serial #30743d.

I went to Toro.com to see about getting a owners & parts manual, they both are no longer available free or to buy. I have down loaded all the drawing of the tractor, at least I can see if some thing is missing or needs replacing, plus I can see how things go together.

It also turns out that it`s not a C-85 but a C-81. Here`s what I got from typing in the model # 01-08K802 this is copied and pasted below from Toro`s web site.

Model Number 01-08K802
Serial # None - None
Model Year 1981
Product Name C-81 8-Speed Tractor
Product Brand Wheel Horse
Product Type Riding Products
Product Series Garden Tractor, 3/4/500, C, GT
Swath Deck Optional
Discharge Deck Optional
Engine/Motor Manufacturer Kohler
Engine/Motor Size# 8 hp
Transmission Speed 8 Speed
Transmission Type Gear

Mechanically, it`s in great shape, it`s tight and the steering has no play in it and all the wheel bearing have been replaced, no play in them as well. Just driving it around my property it didn't rattle at all.

I sent Bob another email stating, what I found also told him it not a problem just wondered why the mistake. I got a reply back from him and this is what he said about the C-85. Still strange that Toro still lists it as a C-81, I don`t know.

Bob`s email reply.
It's a little confusing but Toro calls the C-85 a C-81? Wheel horse built the C-81 from 1978 to 1979. then in 1980 they changed the body a little and added the plastic rear fender and called it a C-85 (8 HP) a C-105 (10 HP) a C-125 (12 HP) etc.

I am a moderator in the Wheel Horse club. Wheelhorsegardentractors. I'll send you the link.
End of his email to me.

I also told him about this forum and he should stop by and take a look at MTF.

It`s a little strange about the model #`s because model #01-08K803 if entered in the search box on Toro`s site comes up as a C-85 and the year is 1982, I was also hoping that the manuals would be available, but there not. I found that model # looking EMPARTweb electronic parts catalog on a equipment parts web site. confused.......

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Well I got a garden tractor that I can hang a snow plow on, a set of lug rear tires would be nice. Tire chains will be a must. I have some weights that I picked up, that I can build a carrier for the rear to bolt them to.

He wrote; tractor was just serviced including a new drive belt and complete engine and trans-axle service. motor oil, all filters, 2 Qt`s. 80-90 gear oil. New spark plug.

The trans shifts smoothly, Now is this a shift on the fly or stop and change gears, I`ve been coming to a complete stop. The brake peddle doesn't come up after being released, maybe the spring is stretched or missing.

I was surprise that the rear fender pan is plastic of some sort. I need to drill some new holes to move the seat back to get a little more leg room. The motor starts up good only smoke is from using to much choke because it clear right up. The amp gage not sure if that works or not? wish there were manuals available but it`s a 1981.

Any one have a photo of how the plow would be attached and the linkage to raise it. Not sure if the plow frame goes completely to the rear hitch or not.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
hyou can go to toros website and order a manual it not a new one it will be a copy but its CHEAP

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The blade sold in 1981 for your model was 06-42BC02 (1981-85). Here is the history on that blade and notice they went from 42" to 48".
06-42BC02 Replaced by 06-48BC01, 06-48BC02, 06-48BC03, 79350 and 79364

You can download the manual for the 1990 06-48BC02 blade from the Files of
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals7/
The file is named "Blade Dozer 48in 1990 06-48BC02 #810748R1"

Wheel Horse started to sell the 01-08K802 in 1980 and continued in 1981. This info is from an engine useage service bulletin #301E. If you can read the serial number on the plate I might be able to pick the year.

Garry

·
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only label I found was below the Kohler info tag. The was just like the decals used on the body of the tractor. That number was 10110721, Toro has updated their web site where you go to get a manual. You only need the model number now, not the serial number any more, the serial gave when it was built.

Now the brass tag on the Kohler has model #K181S serial #30743d. hope this is what you need.

On the snow blade I entered that model# in Toro`s master parts viewer and this is what came up. I guess this is what I need for the plow set up.

I went to Vermont Toro they sell a 79364 plow and the frame for the Classic series garden tractor and there price new is $699.99 it`s on sale, the skid shoes are and optional. For that kind of money I`ll need to plow a lot of snow.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Mower_Man42, you'll like that 8 sp. I have 2 8hp WH's ( 4 sp) and neither lacks for power. I don't get much snow around these parts but the snow I do get my 856 w/42" blade handles very well.

er. front plow. They come up on ebay all the time and I'd recommend for you to watch craigslist etc as theres alot of WH's up in your neck of the woods. I gave $100 for my 1st blade and had it shipped to the nearest terminal where I picked it up.

Generally the blade will come with everything you need to hang it on your tractor except the rear quick hitch assembly ( item 46 and it's associated parts in your print above). They also come up on ebay all the time. Other rear mount attchments such as the tiller also utilize that rear quick attach.
Basically hookup is a very easy tooless mounting. You snap the blades rear mounting bar into the rear quick attach and close the keepers, then attach the lift bar to the attachment bracket just slightly behind item 21. You can change the angle from your seat.
A pic of the blade on the 856 http://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5759&d=1139769451
You should also see blowers available up your way but they can get pricey if they're in good to very good shape.

·
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info. I`ve been watching & searching craigslist, everything seems to be in up state NY. There is one in Ma. but owner wants to sell everything as a package deal.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The 101 in the 10110721 Kohler serial number tells us the engine was made in 1980 so it still could be a 1980 or 1981 model tractor. The 1981 models would have been released in October of 1980 just like they do today with cars.
Will try to attach a picture of a tractor's ID plate. The serial number 7191 follows the model number and below that is the Julian build date - 284th day of 1979 making it a 1980 C-85.

Adding - the ID plate should be on the hood stand below the dash panel and almost up tight to it. Could also be around the corner on the left or right sides.

Garry

Attachments

·
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Volfandt

Thanks I like the tool less nice and easy, you plowed your driveway with just turf tires and no chains? 18 pages going to take me a while. thanks for that link.

Thanks for the info. Now the brass tag on the Kohler has model #K181S serial #30743d. hope this is what you need. Whats the serial #30743d tell you? I was sure that the 10110721 was the serial number for the garden tractor

I can`t find the model # or serial # on the tractor, maybe when the owner painted it he did put them back on or messed them up trying to remove them. I sent him an email and asked about that and the one number that was on the motor that didn't look like it belonged.

I was going to go out today and take so photos of the C-81/C-85 today but thankfully it`s raining which is good for my business. We need the rain, looks like 3 days of it suppose to get thunder storms along with the rain.

Right now the tractor is covered up with nice heavy duty green tarps sitting next to my commercial walk behind mower, covered with one as well, They are both red so they should get along just fine.....LOL

·
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 18 of 18 Posts