My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a Wheel Horse 701 (I think) and recently took apart the gearbox to find that one of the shifter forks has sheared of. Can anyone suggest where/how to find a replacement part? Also a ghasket/seal set might be good while I'm at it. Pictures below to help identify. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Chad

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If you want to go with new parts you can get to the parts lists here
http://www.partstree.com/parts/
Type Toro in the 2nd box and 701 in the 3rd box. The parts that are still available from Toro are priced. You have to look at both #4 pages to see all the parts. There was a change made to the shift rails and believe the detent parts also changed. You can read about it in product service bulletin "WH61-90 #060 New Shift Rails and Stop Pin 1965". It is posted in the Files of
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals8/

Your transmission should be a model 5007.

You can download the transmission service manual from
https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm
Enter the 701 model number and type the word none in the serial # box.

If I remember correctly you are supposed to split the transmission cases with the right side down (from the operators position). That is likely the only way you can load the detent spring, stop pin and balls back in.

Garry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Garry,

Thanks so much for that information. I had found the service bulletins at wheelhorse.org but would have never known to look through them for that shifter fork supercedence. Thanks again for taking the time to respond. Would you recommend purchasing the shifter forks (which are available new for something like $90 both) new or is there somewhere I can get them used that you would recommend? I had thought about attending a tractor parts exchange or meet in the area to potentially get the parts but they're pretty far to drive for a hit and miss opportunity.

Thanks again,
Chad

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I'm in that foreign country to the north of you so would likely have to buy new as everything is scarce. I would think you should be able to find good used ones as it is usually the differential that fails if something is going to break. We all push these things to the limit. You may even find a good complete transmission for that money and keep your original as a parts donor.
See if this fellow has what you need - he parts out tractors to keep others alive
[email protected]

Garry

·
from South Jersey
601 Posts
You could come across another 1961 tractor that is for parts and still has a good tranny.
It wouldn't have to be from a 1961. Almost any 3 speed uni-drive will bolt in. I think the 953, 1054 and 1054A have longer axles.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I know where there is a 61 401 that could be had pretty cheap. No rear wheels and the tranny does have a problem but maybe it has a good shift fork.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for all of the replies. We bought replacement parts and are assembling the transmission this week over our vacation (yes, this is fun for us :) ). I need some assitance, I looked in the manuals for both the 5007 transmission and 701 wheelhorse and neither indicates how much transmission oil you should add. Instead, it says "fill to proper level." However in the 6 speed transmission section it says fill to check plug height, is this the case with my 4 speed transmission (not even sure there's a check plug) or is there a specific amount? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The cast iron 4-speed holds 1-1/2 quarts of SAE-90 or heavier GL5 gear oil. Try to find one that states on the bottle it is safe for yellow metals like brass and bronze. Today's GL5 is different than it was 10 years ago. Valvoline's cheapest gear oil is OK but their more expensive is not.

The plug that sits at an angle behind the left axle housing is the fill level.

You can pour the oil in the shifter hole before you install the shifter to speed things up.

Garry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts