My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1986 Wheel Horse 417-A
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '86 417-A from eBay primarily for use with the 42 inch Snowthrower it comes with (the setup was cheaper than your average new snowblower).

I am now working through the forums and see a lot of discussion about buckets and plows and etc and etc. I am not sure how a 417-A compares to the more common A-D Series, 520H, etc with respect to size and frame strength (beyond the statistics).

What are the realistic limits of a 417-A in moderate condition? Should I stick to mowing and snowblowing? What about a receiver hitch to pull my small boat around? A Johnny bucket for landscaping? What about garden implements?

Any commentary is appreciated.

-Mike

·
16,524 Posts
Hello--Glad to hear you fopund yourself a Wheelhorse. As far as your questions--I will give what little knowledge I remember--
I looked @ a burn-job 417-A (local)about two years ago (but never acted on it)..anyway--seems they were only made two years--mid 80's...Hopefully yours has the series 11 engines --there were some oiling problems, I believe with the series 1 engines > Check the engine seriel numbers.

It should power a snowblower easily--still a '400' series tractor/frame. Also a clevis hitch can be added to the rear--with the right parts--it would be a hyd. lift. I don't know about the Johnny Bucket--get it touch w/ that company--see if'n , maybe they make one for the 300/400 series yet??

Good luck!

glenn

·
Oldbie
1,605 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Your tractor should be able to do about anything any other wheel horse tractor can do,
provided that it is running well.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Glenn thats the series 2 kohler the way you put in in there it looks like 11

A 417-A pretty much any thing you want fel, plow , grader blade, front blade, tiller, and yes it will pull a boat or trailor around as lnog as its not down hill,
as the trailor may push you and the 417-A

·
Registered
46 Posts
The 417-A is a very capable tractor. I believe that may have been the biggest Wheelhorse offered for a couple of years, or perhaps the 418-A. Basically the same motor though. Not sure if the 500 series was available then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts