My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am new here and looking for some info. My dad bought a Wheel horse 417-A back in the 80's and never used it. He only used it to pull trailers around the yard. The tractor was given to me but it does not charge the battery. Can any one tell me what I might look for to resolve this situation? I did a search to avoid asking a question that has already been answered but came up empty. I will post pics when I figure out how. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

·
Registered
185 Posts
Check all the wiring first, then try charging the battery to see if it will hold a charge. If all the wires are fine and the battery will hold a charge, then check the magneto with a multi meter for resistance.

·
from South Jersey
601 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jeff,
I was unable to get info for the 417-A Thru the above link from buzz (maybe you did),
I also have a 417-A 3117KE01, mine is from 1985. I have the parts & service manual for that year and may have some info you are looking for. I am a new member and I am limited with what I can do in this forum, (I don't think my account is activated correctly so dont PM me). Unless you already figured it out, post your actual model number/ serial number and I will let you know if the info I have is right for you.
It's hard to believe that someone would have a 417-A and not use it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Jeff,
I was unable to get info for the 417-A Thru the above link from buzz (maybe you did),
I also have a 417-A 3117KE01, mine is from 1985. I have the parts & service manual for that year and may have some info you are looking for. I am a new member and I am limited with what I can do in this forum, (I don't think my account is activated correctly so dont PM me). Unless you already figured it out, post your actual model number/ serial number and I will let you know if the info I have is right for you.
:MTF_wel2: Jeff, I have the same tractor but mine is a 1987 Wheel Horse 418-A 31-18KE01 Twin Cylinder Kohler MAGNUM 18 HP engine

Attachments

·
from South Jersey
601 Posts
Jeff,
I also have a 417-A 3117KE01, mine is from 1985.
When you were trying to get your information did you remember to put the dash (-) in your model number? It should be 31-17KE01
A very common mistake.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks all for the replies.

kaptain krunch said:
Check all the wiring first, then try charging the battery to see if it will hold a charge. If all the wires are fine and the battery will hold a charge, then check the magneto with a multi meter for resistance.
The tractor was brand new condition wise when it was turned over to me and I have gone through and traced all wiring with nothing to be found. I was wondering if the starter is also the alternator on the tractor as I don't know a lot about them. I have to charge the battery every couple times I mow to keep it topped off and I can't use the lights or it's all over.

Buzz said:
I'd check the connections first and make sure they're not corroded, and also check the fuses.
I have checked all connections and none are corroded unless some are hidden that I cannot see. The fuses are also fine.

Fritzofnj said:
Jeff,
I also have a 417-A 3117KE01, mine is from 1985. I have the parts & service manual for that year and may have some info you are looking for. I am a new member
I have not checked it out any more but I will as I am on vacation this week. I think mine is a 1985 as well. I have all the paperwork that came with the tractor but it does not really tell me much. I am also new to this forum and so far love it. I think I can get through just about any situation will all the knowledge here. I too think its hard to believe but that is just how my dad is. We had (now I have also) a Simplicity 707 broadmoor that just kept plugging away. He bought the Wheel horse as a replacement but just never needed it. When I brought the tractor down here two years ago from Michigan, I was the first one to cut grass with it. The bottom of the deck still looked/looks like brand new.

Thanks again

Jeff

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Wow, looks brand new. I could never have resisted the temptation to at least mow with that horse if were mine and new since 1985. I'm sure you'll get the charging issue figured out, then enjoy that better than new machine (since they don't make like this anymore).

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
WOW nice looking machine, I would have to say I would have mowed with it, no way around it!

·
Registered
357 Posts
So thats what my parts Tractor looked like when it was all in one piece!
Nice looking machine have fun with it!
C-175 :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wow, what a beautiful tractor! :eek:mg: It's almost a shame to use it since there certainly aren't any in that kind of original condition anymore.

Regarding the charging issue:

Pay particular attention to all your ground connections and make sure the fasteners that hold various bits and pieces of electrical components to the tractor are tight. Most all of my electrical problems (well, those that weren't on a 520 at least) have always been ground related. And check your fuse holders too for corrosion or dirt that might be blocking good transmission of power. Being in a vertical orientation as they are they can trap and hold moisture from any bath the tractor ever received.

If you find yourself wanting a "beater" to use in lieu of that one which you can park in a corner of your garage to admire, let me know!

Good luck with that!

Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts