My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy advertised a "absolutely MINT" Hodaka Road Toad so I went to take a look.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/mcy/1956152174.html

$1000 is a good price for a "MINT" Road Toad. But - it doesn't show up on the picture but the tank has some rust pitting so it needs repainting. The seat cover has a rip in it. The entire frame needed repainting - rust. Pipe was completely rusted. It was in a dark barn so at that point I gave up and called it a day. The only thing good about the bike was the inside of the tank was not rusted. The guy said "it just needs a good cleaning". I say it needs a total restoration. I said your idea of "mint" is not mine idea of "mint". My idea of mint is in nearly new condition, Yours?

·
Member 800 post club !!
953 Posts
Mint condition means just what it says. It is just like it left the mint (coin mint). So it is the same as brand new or "Newly minted". Not many used items can come close to that tag.

·
Super Moderator
32,621 Posts
Mint would mean "like showroom" new to me! That certainly wasn't mint condition by any stretch of the imagination!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had cash - the guy needs to check the dictionary. Killed a good part of the day - 90 miles one way :fing20:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I am going to agree that many people I've run into way over-state the condition of the items they are selling. When I sell, I attempt to give the best description I can... but for something to be in excellent condition (or mint), I expect to see something that is practically brand new... no rust, dents, chips, etc, etc.

·
Old Guy With Old Toys
1,178 Posts
Mint is new or like new. No flaws.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
yep mint to me is if you take it to a show, its a winner

should be perfect, no less than 95% perfect

i would post a reply to his add on CL and say its not mint :trink39:

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
Anything from 76 that has not been kept in a bubble or completely restored more then likely is nowhere close to "mint". Always sucks when people think they have a gem and it turns out to be a turd.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Mint condition means just what it says. It is just like it left the mint (coin mint). So it is the same as brand new or "Newly minted". Not many used items can come close to that tag.
Exactly! There's no room for fudging on this. "like new condition" is the next closest and maybe 2-3% of used equipment can meet that standard. The really fun one is "restored" meaning they threw a spray-bomb paint job on it after running it through the car wash!

Most any vehicle over 5 years old will meet the "good condition" at best, but few even rate that high.

Larry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts