My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
10,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was 8-12 years old, I mowed 4 1/2 acres with a Ride King 32" mower. The backup mower was a 22" push mower. :praying:

·
Registered
443 Posts
It involved a 14.5 hp Murray riding mower, a 2 wheel trailer and about 1/2 yard of dirt. Add descending a steep hill to the equasion. :swow: :praying:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
When I was a teenager I had a full time job mowing a friend of my Mothers estate. It was about 5 acres, and I had a 20" push mower. I mowed continuously from about 9AM to 5 PM with breaks and lunch. Wherever I finished one day I would start the next day. When I got finished with the lawn I just started over. With Sundays and rain days off that yard kept me employed for 2 summers.
steve

·
Professional Homeowner
7,838 Posts
When I was a teenager I had a full time job mowing a friend of my Mothers estate. It was about 5 acres, and I had a 20" push mower. I mowed continuously from about 9AM to 5 PM with breaks and lunch. Wherever I finished one day I would start the next day. When I got finished with the lawn I just started over. With Sundays and rain days off that yard kept me employed for 2 summers.
steve
Can't top that. I've only done 2 acres with a push mower. For 8 years.

·
Registered
639 Posts
We mowed 2.5 acres with a Snapper Comet 26, mowed around 14 buildings, around the house and both sides of a 1/4 mile lane. Took about 7 to 8 hours a week. Rough, but nothing like the 5 acre estate.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
It involves a Old John Deere tractor and a trip across the country....

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Take Wayne's story and substitute a honkin' big load of free wood for the dirt... I put the usual load that I always considered safe on the Sears cart pulled by my Gravely L... Then I started the ¼ mile trip home downhill from the free wood guy. Too bad I selected from the stable my little Craftsman LAWNMOWER tractor-ette for the haul instead of the Gravely. Was going along nicely until I tested the brakes for the right turn into my driveway...

The moment instantly reminded me of an "Our Gang" home made wagon episode where Buckwheat says to Spanky,

"Panky, puh onna brake!!!!!"
"Uhhh, we ain't got no brake, Buckwheat!"

Yes I became the subject matter for that famous hit song by C.W.McCall entitled "Jack Knife"... but that was after one of the rear wheels was chirping loudly turning in reverse with the entire tractor hopping up and down and about ½ of the 90º completed as I tried to pump the "brake". So much for slowing down in 3rd gear with that combination. I should have just gone a bit farther and done a 45º right side up onto the neighbor's lawn to get 'er stopped.

That evening over malt beverages, my neighbor asked me what happened to that nice 7' cedar tree that "used to be at the end of the driveway"? I told him "it went away"... along with the section of 2 rail fence that used to be there too...

"So that explains that bunch of sawdust and bark chips on my side of the property line then... and the gouge in the grass?"

"Yeah, all that AND the oil and gas stain which should green up again in a few months...!"

Never send a "Boy Tractor" to do a "Man Tractor's" work!:D

(My elbow and knee healed up way before that grass got green again!:ROF)

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
steve
DING..DING..DING .... I believe we have a WINNER !!!

·
Super Moderator
32,049 Posts
LOL!!!! MAN sadixon.... bet you were in GREAT shape that year!!!!!

I did about 3 or so acres for a year with a push mower. All my other stuff was dead, and it was all I had!!!

·
Premium Member
9,874 Posts
I guess the first year I bought my house and did the snowbound 600' driveway with a SHOVEL during one of our snowiest winters ever would be my underkill story. Maybe the mental scars from that explain why I have 3 tractors and 4 snowthrower attachments plus the walk behind.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Wow GGSteve, does that bring back memories of why I bought my first Gravely L! My future BIL and I lived nextdoor to each other and always teamed up to dig out those 50's-60's blizzards. The last straw was the day President Kennedy was inaugrated, it was an entire NE blizzard. Finished one 250' driveway and over to the 150' one... back and forth all day.

The following winter he'd watch out the window sipping a beer while I had big F-U-N then come out and we'd triangulate the fire hydrant and then Gravely that out. Dang, I still miss him...

·
Super Moderator
16,753 Posts
Can't beat you Cat. But when I was a kid we had a Firestone, 5hp with what had to be a 30inch deck or 1&half acres. which was the biggest yard we had when I was a Kid sometimes the rider was over kill where we were living Depending on my Father Duty station. My First rider I bought was JD R70 and it was underkill for the first house I rented when I was Stationed up in Alaska Because it had a OEM snowplow for it and winters up there Plowing the driveway was nuts. But I did it.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ah yes, snow shoveling...last 1.75 winters shoveled around 200" of snow over an area of 2,000 square feet before my low back said you need to buy a snow blower. This is nothing compared to many of you other guys.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,652 Posts
Can't top that. I've only done 2 acres with a push mower. For 8 years.
It took EIGHT YEARS to mow 2 acres? Musta been some really tough land:ROF

I couldn't resist, the wording reminded me of the old joke about a guy who assembled a jigsaw puzzle, and was proud of himself that it only took 3 weeks. After all, he said, the side of the box said "3 to 5 years"

My dad steadfastly refused to get a riding mower. Our largest yard was about an acre, so maybe we really didn't need one, but it fell on me to push the old 19" LawnBoy, and bag the grass every time. That was the only mower I ever knew until I moved out on my own and bought my first one. Dad bought that L-B when I was about 3 years old, it was still running great more than 15 years later.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Well, I don't know that this will beat some of the other stories. My Dad had a Wheelhorse GT14 that we used hard. We mowed about three acres, pulled a garden cart overloaded with rocks, etc. But, the most underkill thing that I remember doing with it was hooking a logging chain to it & skidding logs out of the woods for firewood. We used to pull more than one log at a time with it too. About three, not real large ones, was the most that I remember it being able to handle. One time, my friend & I were down over the hill trying to bring a load out & it was too much for the tractor to pull without front weights on it. I forget if it was him or me that was driving the Wheelhorse when it happened, but the front end came up & kept coming up until it was "bail-out -time". No one got hurt, but we limited how much we tried to pull after that.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Watched a couple of guys one time cut 20 acres of hay with a hand-held sickle.

Saw another guy with a perfect lawn, perfectly trimmed, over small bumps, and dips, even around rocks and trees - of which there were many. Never saw him on a mower or with a trimmer. And then one day I saw his "mower". A small pack of goats.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts