My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this old Gilson a few weeks ago.The owner says he will sell it and tells me to let him think and call him back in a few days.Made several calls and he keeps saying that he doesnt have a price in mind but doesnt say he wont sell.Getting tired of trying to nail him down but do want the tractor.Whats he waiting on? As you can see he hasnt used it in years and has no intention of doing anything but letting her sit there and rot.What a shame as its a nice tractor to restore.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Call him up and make an offer. He is waiting for this. He is afraid he will sell it too cheap and be a sucker.

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
sound like he's baiting you. waiting to see what you'll offer to get an idea of what he can bilk you for. stuff like this happens all the time. he has no plans to do anything with it, but now that someone is interested, well.....

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never make offers i let the seller start out and go from there.When i ask him if he has a price in mind his words are always...Well i havent thought about it much....If he doesnt want to sell why dont he just say so instead of hum hawing around? I not gonna keep chasing him. He either wants to sell it or he dont.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Not trying to be rude WHM, but since you are the one who asked and started the whole thing, I believe you should either make a reasonable offer or just forget it. It may help him get off the dime if you print out something showing what a rough non-running similar tractor sold for.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,270 Posts
I never make offers i let the seller start out and go from there.When i ask him if he has a price in mind his words are always...Well i havent thought about it much....If he doesnt want to sell why dont he just say so instead of hum hawing around? I not gonna keep chasing him. He either wants to sell it or he dont.
You never make offers and he probably never states prices... You already know what you top price is so you can make an offer or loose it to being a bull head... Sorry just stateing facts...

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Offer the ole fard $100 and go from there. slkpk

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my experiance when someone puts you off they either dont care if they sell it or they have a very high price in mind thinking its a precious and highly valuable antique.I am just gonna call him and take the plunge with an offer.Be willing to bet he will refuse and say he just cant sell it for that.My thought is that 150.00 is plenty fair and if he refuses leave it alone.Please tell me if that offer is a fair deal in your opinions.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
$150 is my limit on any non-running GT. I don't care what it is (ok, I might go $175 for a non-running x585). Needless to say I miss a lot of deals, but I try not to fall in love with anything. There is always another down the road.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I too would find it difficult to come up with an offer. All it has going for it is that it's vintage. Around this neck of the woods (MTF) it may not be considered overall desireable. So what do you offer?

I personally like them. Bare bones, slung low to the ground, and round fenders.

Offer what it's really worth in the condition it's in and risk insulting the guy, and that'll be the end of that. But perhaps he's hoping to swindle you out of $50, and you offer three times as much. You get what you want, and he thinks he's ripped you off. Everybody's happy.

I agree, $150 is more than fair, but for all we know, he wants either only $50 or as much as $500. He's got the upper hand, because now you look despirate, and he's got the tractor. Makes no difference to him.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Offer him $150 straight out or walk away. If he changes his mind, he'll call you back or sell it to someone with more than you'd like to spend. Just my 2 cents.

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I too would find it difficult to come up with an offer. All it has going for it is that it's vintage. Around this neck of the woods (MTF) it may not be considered overall desireable. So what do you offer?

I personally like them. Bare bones, slung low to the ground, and round fenders.

Offer what it's really worth in the condition it's in and risk insulting the guy, and that'll be the end of that. But perhaps he's hoping to swindle you out of $50, and you offer three times as much. You get what you want, and he thinks he's ripped you off. Everybody's happy.

I agree, $150 is more than fair, but for all we know, he wants either only $50 or as much as $500. He's got the upper hand, because now you look despirate, and he's got the tractor. Makes no difference to him.

I like for the seller to set a price first.I have had folks make offers to me on stuff and if its a dirt cheap offer { and the buyer knows that} all that does is make me mad. I do know the guy said his wifes dad bought it new and that kinda tells me he thinks its very valuable and he would rather not sell it but dont want to come out and say so.Maybe he figures if he puts me off i will give up and forget about it.If i keep bugging him he may think this guy will pay big bucks because he really wants the tractor.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
like everyine else has stated, offer him $150 if he wont take it move on. If your not willing to make an offer than you dont want it very bad cause it dont cost a dime to make a serious offer.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Continued visits to this guy will convince him you want the tractor badly enough to pay his price when he makes one.

What is your top dollar? Decide and stick to it. Take that amount of cash with you for one final visit. Lets say you will give $120 or $125; have no more than that with you. Offer him $100 in form of a hundred dollar bill--money in hand when you make offer. He will most likely raise the price from your offer; add the 20 or 25 to your offer and tell him that is all you will/can give due to condition. Leave your name and phone number if you have to leave without the tractor.

It sounds like he is thinking he will price it to you lower than what you are willing to give; so he waits for your offer

·
Registered
377 Posts
Ain't no telling what this guy is waiting on. I might tend to agree with ar2stp48 in that he might not have any idea what to price it at (mIght not know much about trading/selling stuff) and he'll probably jack it up 25-50 after whatever you offer. Do like the other poster said and show him the $100 bill and see where that goes.

He apparently doesn't care about the condition of it if he can watch that thing turn further into rusted junk than it already is. I don't think he cares a lick about it. My $.02

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
imho you are both being stubborn.

He won't set a price, you won't offer a price. From the pic, he could care less about it. At scrap prices thats a $35 tractor. That might be what it is, scrap. Or parts. Or it might run with little work. It's a Gamble. If it's woth $150 to you offer him that, and if he denies, walk away. At this point you look desperate to buy it, which is making it more valuble to him.

Personally I wouldn't go higher than $50 on an unknown potential basketcase. But I'm cheap,............... and realistic.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Polish your best gruff Marlon Brando voice, call him and say you'd like to make him an offer he can't refuse! :ROF

My experience has always been in these situations that you have to be ready to walk away at any point, that way you don't make any costly mistakes just because of impulse buying. There's plenty of "restorable" tractors out there sitting in someone shed or yard. Another thing I keep in mind as a buyer is the fact that obviosuly there isn't anyone else lining up around the block to buy this guy's tractor thats been sitting in the weeds for what looks like to be years and years.

Depening on whether or not the engine is ceased and the fact that you'll have to spend a bit of money(belts, filters, tires possibly) just to get it moving, I'd offer him $60. I'm not implying the seller is like this (since I don't know him), but you'd be suprised how many sellers I run across that will actually try to sell me tractors that look as though they've been sitting at the bottom of a river for 20 years for $200-$300 with a straight face just because I'm interested and do re-builds.

I usually walk away and in a week I get a phone call and usually get it for what I want lol.

Best of luck!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts