My Tractor Forum banner

301 - 318 of 318 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,560 Posts
This nuke plant warning siren sits along my driveway. In the past, they tested it for 2 minutes every first Monday of the month. It wasn't so much a sound as a vibration in the chest. Some smart guy on the staff suggested they could just grunt them each month, and do the full 2 minutes twice a year; June and December. I suppose if I heard it other than on test schedule it would be even worse. Anyone watch the Chernobyl series?

Attachments

·
Collector of many tractors
15,248 Posts
Loved the Chernobyl series....

The sound the ladder makes when it's sliding out from under you....

The sound the deck blades made when you hit pond water....

The scraping sound you truck makes when you don't make your turn sharp enough.

The alarm in the morn when you did not sleep well...

Glass braking when cutting grass....

The sound of the tape taring when carrying a box of 20,000 nuts.

·
Premium Member
7,896 Posts
The sound the deck blades make when they hit a rock.

Or worse, the sound the entire machine makers when you hit something solid enough to actually stall the blades...

Mike

·
Handshake Seals the Deal
243 Posts
The sound of a blade breaking of of a 10ft bushog while I'm bushogging. ? That thing went flying. Knocked a hole through the mower deck. It was LOUD. Second loudest sound in tractor history. The first one was me hollering.

Mebbe not... you folks judge.

·
Registered
774 Posts
The sound of a "custom connecting rod delete" on a 60 year old engine. Running, then a slight knock, then a rattly huge crunch followed by the sound of the crank and cam free spinning to a stop.

·
Premium Member
7,896 Posts
Been there, done that a few years ago with a Tecumseh HH60 on a TB Horse splitter. My fault for playing with the governor without a tach first.

Then I had a Briggs ventilate itself on my American CLS splitter early this year. Didn't love watching the smoking rod remnant / shrapnel fly 8+ feet and land next to my (then) 8-year-old son who was sitting in the cart waiting to help load wood...

Mike

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
The noise yesterday of opening a letter from the IRS. Nothing huge but I need to make a phone call to them soon.

·
Premium Member
7,896 Posts
The sound of my RV tranny slipping while on vacation, 3+ hours from home. Followed by multiple towing companies refusing to come out on a Saturday evening on Labor Day weekend...

Mike

·
2,615 Posts
Probably the worst sound while I was using outdoor equipment was about 30 years ago ...I was cutting my grass one night with a Lawn Boy just before dark...when I saw something wiggle just as I ran over it.......it flew out from under the mower like a belt...I had run over a snake and I must have let out some scream.....my wife came running out telling me I sounded like a little girl :tango_face_surprise

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
The sound the deck blades make when they hit a rock.

Or worse, the sound the entire machine makers when you hit something solid enough to actually stall the blades...

Mike
Hit a piece of rebar one time with my old Huskee LT out in the field. Blades twisted it in two as it went thru the deck. Sounded awful but only dinged the blades. That thing has some tough spindles.

·
Administrator
4,910 Posts
When I was a kid, my dad would have me cutting field grass with a Mott mower.....Hitting a big rock with one of those is an awful sound.....and then him yelling at me as we had to replace the broken blades.....lol

·
Registered
159 Posts
Two different sounds - same type of situation:

Clamp (fork) trucks in a warehouse. Keep in mind, these drive "backwards"

1) Trucks hitting each other like bumper cars

2) Trucks hitting a support I-Beam in a warehouse

Either one will make you check yer pants and definitely get everyone's attention

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
One of the nastiest sounds I've ever caused when working was cutting composite semi-trailer plate-side panels with a worm-drive circular saw. 2 layers of galvanized steel with plastic core 1/4" thick. Many times bent/kinked, and in a bind after a wreck.

Between the shrieking 28T carbide blades cutting it until the teeth fly off and the frequent whaaa--yamppp!! of it grabbing and kicking back with 30lbs of force it is a very nasty sound. You basically push with all your might until the tooth braze overheats and the carbide teeth let go and fly off, switch blades, and continue. I estimate I'd trash 10+ blades when cutting a wall apart.

This is the kind of abuse that made me realize that the SkilSaw worm drive is one BA piece of machinery.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My daughter on the other end of the phone saying, "Dad, I'm alright but did you know that airbags taste like burnt popcorn?"

Kiddo okay. Subaru Outback sacrificed. Fair trade.

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
My daughter on the other end of the phone saying, "Dad, I'm alright but did you know that airbags taste like burnt popcorn?"

Kiddo okay. Subaru Outback sacrificed. Fair trade.
I've had too many of those phone calls, from parents, kids & neighbors. I learned very quickly that there is a car for sale on every corner & you can't replace your family, I'm very glad for you that your daughter if fine.

301 - 318 of 318 Posts