My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 320 Posts

·
Professional Homeowner
7,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a post from mike dub. He made mention of a really ugly noise when he picked up a dog tether with a Kubota MMM. I can only imagine the ensuing racket that produced. That gave me a great idea for a threat: What's the ugliest noise you've ever heard from a piece of equipment?

The worst thing I've ever heard was when I worked at a local ice rink. One of the tasks on the Zamboni driver's job description is Zamboni maintenance. Every week, the blade that scrapes the ice has to be changed. The blade is about 7 feet wide by 4 inces long by about 1/2" thick, and they are RAZOR sharp. Goofing around, one day, I picked one up and shaved my chin with it. Bad idea. Anyways, they are bolted to the underside of the machine in the back. At the end of the shift before mine, someone else changed the dull blade. Unfortunately, the left the 1/2" Craftsman combination wrench on top of the conditioner where the blade mounts, just below a shroud out of view. There is a horizontal auger at ice level that drags the shaved ice to the center of the machine (similar to a single stage snowblower), and a vertical auger that blows the shaved ice into the hopper on the front of the machine. About half way through the resurfacing, that wrench fell off the conditioner, made it through the horizontal auger, and into the vertical auger. :banghead3 That was one ungodly tink/rattle/bang/rattle/bang/rattle/silence/machine dead when that wrench got stuck in that vertical conveyor. Machine had to be partially disassembled to get our wrench back. Amazing what a hydraulic motor and steel auger will do to a wrench. When it was all said and done, Sears wouldn't honor their return policy on the mangled tool. Zamboni: 1. Wrench: 0. :crybaby:

·
15,000 +posts!
19,772 Posts
I hate the SCREEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIICHHH! a Briggs and Stratton starter clutch makes when it decides to seize to the crank,usually due to rust--and it usually causes the recoil rope to spew out and the spring to bust too..sounds like a combination of chalk on a blackboard,and a 5 year old girl who just had a frog stuck down her pants...at least an hour of misery reassembling it follows..:(

Another not so nice sound is when you "find" that missing length of chain you lost with your riding mower while mowing the lawn!....CLUNK!!!----BBBBLLAAAAHHHTTTTTT---KUH--KUH--KUH----..WUMP!...(seize!).. :(

Last year,one of the deck wheels on my MTD fell off,the ones that look like a black egg..I heard a WHACKKKK! ,and saw something fly out like a missle,I never saw where it landed..I found it yesterday,in a pile of torn up sod my snowplow had piled up, now that the snow is finally all gone!..to my surprise,it's fully intact,still had the bolt in it too!..had a gash in it,but it can still be bolted back on and used!..

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Watched and heard my future FIL pick up 40' of dog chain and screw in anchor. He was aboard one of those old Sears single 30" blade riders with the steering bail handle. Near 3' high above the lawn arms flapping, legs waving, dog chain whizzing around in the air with the anchor on the end... He landed safely, gathered himself and looked around... Sure enough I was there watching and whatta laugh we had. I'll hear that "CLANG" the rest of my days!:D:D:D

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
Well not from the machine...but from the JD Service Manager..."Need to pull the head on your JD2640...:(

·
Registered
855 Posts
the crackle of fire...we were blasting on a DOT job near albany,ny...drilling out the last few holes for a large cut...already had a couple tons of powder spread out on the shot and loading holes when my rig lost air...before i turned around i heard it....looked up the slope to see the 850 CFM compressor engulfed in flames....never any danger of the powder going off...but scary anyway

·
10,401 Posts
Blowin' the turbo on a CAT 345BL, losing a rod or two on a JD 544B, lost a track on a D8 pushing 631's in blasted rock (boy was that a boom), and my wife saying that she is holding the last beer.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
The worst sound I ever heard was the engine on a C-124 tearing loose from the wing after it caught on fire off the coast of Australia. At least it put the fire out and we made it back to Amberly Air Base O.K. I don't think I will ever forget that.

·
5,535 Posts
A turkey buzzard in the co pilots windshield on a C-141B taking off from Nellis AFB, NV in 1986

I was crewing on that plane and all we heard was thunk and the head of the bird went thru the window and stuck there 8" from the co pilot, We did a quick turn around and returned to the base.

I never want to hear that noise again.......

·
Registered
748 Posts
Worst I've heard was the universal on the the pto shaft on a neighbors feed grinder. Was doing chores for them while they were on vac. and the universal shattered sending the pto shaft flying before I could get around the grinder to the tractor to shut it down.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Nothing major, but I ran over a large burried boulder with the lawn mower last year. The mowe immediately stopped. The end of the blade was bent 90 degrees. I feared the shaft was bent. Took three weeks to get a new blade.

The sound I almost/should've heard during the winter...after the snow melted, I found a 10" file on the edge of the driveway. I must've gone over it with the snow blower 5 or 6 times over the course of winter, and never picked it up.

The sound of the water pump failing in one of my daily drivers last year, and knowing I can't afford to pay someone to fix it.

As a rental associate at home depot, the worst sound is "I'd like to rent a blow-in insulation blower", they're always in a little disrepair.

Or, "I'd like to rent a 20" chainsaw, and I've never used one before".

Or, while you're by yourself on a satuday morning, and people are starting to line up "I'd like to rent a floor drum sander, and I have no idea what I'm doing". That's at least a 30min how-to right there, all the while ppl are lining up.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Total silence when you try to start something.

Got that problem right now. Didn't charge the battery long enough the first time, now it seems the power light doesn't come on when I set up and plug in the charger.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,772 Posts
Another noise I hate--that "Crunch" or "Snap" when you yank the rope on a small engine or bend over and lift something--or stand up after squatting..doesn't matter if it comes from your back,neck,arms or knees,your gauranteed to be in agony long afterward!..

I think yanking a recoil rope HAS to be one of the worst things you can do,as far as injury to arms,hands,fingers,and your back,myself..I'm getting to the age anything without electric start is highly undesireable!..

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,639 Posts
I bought a pretty neat old Roof Lariat RER at an auction for $50 once just because it was in good shape. Mowed around the yard with it the one time and it did great, started great but was recoil and I already had a good Snapper Comet with electric start for trimming so I put it on ebay, sold it for $100.
The guy was on his way to get it, went out to start it right where I had shut it off, and no compression!
Must have had a valve stuck or something. I apologized to the guy and said it ran fine the last time i ran it, he was happy to buy it at $50 and I came out even, but I will have to agree than no noise at all is the pits.

·
Registered
639 Posts
When I was young, Dad and I used to cut silage corn around utility posts by hand and feed it into the chopper. Once, we were talking above the noise of the tractor and chopper, and Dad cut off an armful of corn, turned and fed his scythe into the chopper by mistake! :Stop: That was an ugly sound, and there were bits of steel all through the load on the wagon. It took the rest of the day to re-sharpen the harvester and dispose of that load of silage. I don't think he said another word the rest of the day.

1 - 20 of 320 Posts