My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey gang,

I don't want to get too far ahead of my self regarding attachments and so forth, and in an effort to not hijack another thread for this (including my own) I have some questions about the hydraulic system of our beloved tractors.

I was giving my neighbor the rundown on my tractor the other day, we were out in our yards and struck up a conversation. He was amazed at the design and build of the tractor and made a generous offer to help me get the most out of my machine.

He works for a large company that does utilities maintenance. He explained to me that the service trucks had on-board hydraulic systems and would power many different types of tools they had on hand, jackhammers, cutting tools and so on....

He said that the company was converting the trucks to electricity and were discarding the old hydraulic tools in cycles. He said the company would let any of the employees save or salvage what they could use with no problems.

He just never had a practical way to use anything like that before, and offered to see what he could do. I explained the systems limitations as being between 8-10 gallons per minute to cover the range of these tractors.

So hopefully that will be something I can aquire soon.

I think it would be great to just pull up somewhere and start jackhammering. Or get the jaws of life or something (probably NOT) or some other really useful industrial grade stuff. Matched with this tractor, then it becomes really portable.

The question I would have is this... I would probably need to purge and clean each tool to remove the normal hydraulic fliud and not contaminate my system, other than that and being sure the rating is matched to the power of the hydraulics, are there any caviats or drawbacks to using somethng like this?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
If he comes up with one I always wanted a hydraulic chain saw. Would probably be a little much for our tractors but my skid steer could run one.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
He mentioned that. Thanks for reminding me. Man that would be sweet if it could work or be modified.

He also mentioned things like ratchets and impact wrenches, wheel grinders/cut off tools, and possibly a winch. He went on about a bunch of different things they use on the truck, nearly all of it going in the dumpster.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
These tools are generally well suited for the hydraulic capacity on these tractors. Most operate in the 5-10 GPM range, with 2000-2500 PSI. The tractor will easily run the generally small (under 20") chains saws.

Check out Stanley Hydraulic Tools on the internet. These are also available as accessories for the Kubota (and maybe Deere) utility vehicles in special 5 GPM models.

I get this designation wrong sometimes ... so somebody please correct me if I say it wrong: You need to be sure you have open center tools, not closed center. Many of the tools are either selectable, or convertible.

Remember how the Case/Ingersoll PTO operates: Once you throw the PTO on, 100% of the available oil is headed to the attachment. The tools itself must have the valve (open center ... I believe) which allows the oil to bypass when the tool is not being used.

Great find ... I'd love to have some sent my way ...

Brian

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
I can`t imagine a chain saw tethered to a tractor with heavy hyd lines being user friendly for ground work. It`s cool though. JMO

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
The tree service that maintains our city here, they been using those hyd. pole saws. Those thing are really neat no real weight to them and easy to work with out of a bucket. One property I maintain just had the city cut down one of their white oaks. That tree had to be 90 or more years old the tree had grown right over the mere stone. When the trunk was cut into over 10 gallons of water poured out of it.

Just one of the many different uses of hydraulic power.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, now that I know what the possibilities are, I will try to talk to him next time I see him, and see what he found out.

I wouldn't want him to be hauling loads of this stuff out at a time, but I will suggest that he grab a few extras if he can for "spare parts" and maybe eventually use them for trade fodder or whatever.

Mostly I am interested in the chainsaw, since we talked before about the ignition interfering with my pacemaker.

The cutoff tools and grinder would be my next choice, and shears of course, but a jackhammer was what I dreamed about last night....... who wouldn't?

Been thinking of names for these new tools, what do you think?

Jackhammer: HyJack
Grinder: HyGrind
Cutting tools: HyChop
Shears: HySnip
Impact wrench and Ratchet: HyTorque
Chainsaw: HyBuzz
Tamper: HyTamp

You know..... in keeping with the naming trend that C/I instituted.

I guess I can honestly say that my 224 is a "HyWheeler"

But what does that make us devoted followers of the engineers designs? Could we be referred to as "HyMen"? :D:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I can`t imagine a chain saw tethered to a tractor with heavy hyd lines being user friendly for ground work. It`s cool though. JMO
I can......if it's part of a firewood processing machine, powered by the hydraulics of the tractor. Cut, split, & dump onto a conveyor that loads your truck or wagon. :fing32:

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
trucker, I knew what it meant and so did a lot of others, it was only sarcasm. thats' why the cheesy grin and laughy guy are right after the word.....

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is from the Random House Unabridged Dictionary

Sarcasm, a sharply ironical taunt
Thanks for the english lesson. wow, one funny comment and the thread gets derailed.

Guess who won't be getting my extras?

Who will end up being left "Hy and Dry?

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CP7, just being sarcastic.... or a smart-aleck, or whatever term floats ones boat.

99 knows I am just being a ****. (insert expletive of choice here...)

I gotta see what my neighbor can do about these. haven't seen him since friday.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update on the tools.

I talked to my neighbor this week and he says the next cycle of re-fitting tools is scheduled to start around the first of the year.

That is also when he is supposed to be at that facility for training (annual thing...)

The building where they re-certify and have their yearly training classes is where these tools are serviced/maitained/located,(also discarded) so hopefully when he gets there he can do some good in the used hydraulic tool department.

Just wanted to give everyone an update, no I have not forgotten about anyone, and the project is still very much in my mind.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts