My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went to do the first oil change on my new CC XT2-GX54 with the Kohler KT-745, I discovered that the steering rod had been contacting the top of the filter and put a noticeable dent in it. At this point, I'd done one full mowing on four acres and had 4.4 hours on the engine.

I used the filter the dealer gave me with the sale for the first oil change, and after another full mowing, now at 7.8 hours, I checked the new filter. This time, there was just a small nick, but the steering rod still could make contact with the filter. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact part # of the filter the dealer gave me.

I talked to MTD, who told me that they had no service bulletins on this issue, opened a case with them, and sent the mower back to the dealer.

The dealer just reported that there is, in fact, a service bulletin on this issue, although they'd never seen this problem before. They said the problem was that the mower shipped with oil filter KH-12-050-01-S, and that the fix was to use oil filter KH-12-050-01-S1, the difference between the two being the "S" vs. "S1".

There's a good chance that the new filter the dealer gave was an S1, which is why I didn't get the same damage after the change. I also notice that the filters I ordered and received from Kohler are marked "S1".

What's the difference between these two filters? I can't find specific information online that tells me why this is supposed to fix my problem. The dealer claims the S1 is shorter than the S. I'd like to independently verify.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Almost definitely shorter.. Lot of small engine filters are shorter for that reason ( or hood clearance )... A good example of this is a common filter used on many Fords, Chrysler products and even Toyota.. Also fits most B&S engines as the 'long' filter version. a specialized pancake filter is what Briggs sells but they are interchangeable if you have room

1 - 2 of 2 Posts