My Tractor Forum banner

Which is more fun, lawn mowing or snow removal?

• Lawn mowing

Votes: 40 28.2%
  • Snow removal

Votes: 102 71.8%
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, today's poll wants to know which you enjoy more, mowing or snow removal? There is a huge third category here about working the land, but I have chosen to leave that out for this poll to keep it simple. Even if you've never seen snow I'm sure, by virtue of being a MTF member, that you have a thoughtful, cogent argument on the subject, or at least a two-bit opinion.

Personally, while I enjoy the seat time of the weekly mowing in my shorts and Hawaiian shirt, and the beauty and smell of a freshly cut lawn, it's not as much fun as the anticipation and uncertainty of an approaching snow storm, and then donning the winter gear, climbing into the cab and blowing or plowing what ever falls out of the way. For some reason I get a greater sense of satisfaction clearing the drive than grooming the lawn. That's just me, your thoughts?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
There is something about snow duty that I prefer. Maybe it's the excuse to get the tractor out of the shed and do a little work in the winter time.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Mowing for me. slkpk

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Last year was the first year I had the pleasure of using a tractor mounted snow blower. I like the way that keeping the snow cleared in the drive, gives the driveway that "finished" look much as the way mowing does to the yard. Plus my wife runs her embroidery business out of our home, so I must keep the drive cleared for her customers to get in and out of the driveway.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,653 Posts
The only snow moving I've had the joy to perform was this past winter, and all I have to move it with is a box blade. It was a real hoot, but not much different than moving and spreading a big pile of wet dirt.....except it was cold as a well digger's derrierre,...and still snowing 2"/hr,.....yeah, I enjoyed it. I'd love to give a blower a try, looks like fun throwing the snow into the neighbor's yard.

But based on the volume of mowing I do vs. the volume of snow removal/ relocation, I'd have to say I enjoy the mowing more. I could complain about having to mow in the 95+ degree heat and humidity this summer, but I just started waiting until dark, when the temps drop to the high 80's, and mowing with lights on. The X748 has great lights for mowing after dark.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I like the snow clearing. Maybe it's just because I remember shoveling the dirveway years ago. Then got a walk behind snowblower,and now I get to sit.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Mowing for me, because we just don't get enough snow.

·
Roll Tide Roll!!!
62 Posts
Mowing! Left the Great White North years ago, and ain't been back....

Saint

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Snow for me. We don't get much. But the last 2 years have surely honed my snow removal skills! We got a lot!

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,599 Posts
This is a tough decision because I enjoy both very much, but in the end, I guess snow blowing has the edge for me, especially since I started using the BX. Maybe it's just the feeling of power, being able to move all that heavy snow with no effort at all. :thThumbsU

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Snow removal is soooo fun!! :fing32: Last winter I was climbing over the huge snow piles and it was fun too. And the funest is is when you get stuck and you try to get out. :snowing:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Snow removal is a necessary evil here, and it HAS to be done. Dread it more and more every passing year. I'd rather mow twice a week than blow/dozer snow any time.Can't beat being out in the sun with the smell of freshly cut grass in the air!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Moving snow was always a blast for me. The 24" walk behind with heated hand grips was ok, but the ATV with a 48" blade was the best. We lived on a court in the back so I would always plow the snow to the island and make the kids a good hill to sled and play on.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
I wouldn't mind dealing with snow if I didn't have to drive 15 miles each way to work in it... Driving in it, is what takes all the joy out of snow...

I'd much rather cut my grass, but suffice it to say, when the snow comes this season, I'm ready for it!

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
i like snow removal better because for one thing it makes me money; two i get to use my "rusty old tractor" to clear out my neighbors' driveways.. and i get some satanic pleasure of plowing through snow in 3rd gear

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
If I plowed snow as many times a year as I mow the lawn, I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy it as much. This will be my first winter with four wheel drive, can't wait. If I had a paved drive instead of gravel, it would be even more fun. It is hard to keep from pushing the gravel into the grass.

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
i dont see much of my tractor in the winter time, blowing snow is my only excuse to use it durring the season.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts