My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fellow locally contacted me saying they were trying to get rid of their Gravely equipment. I am going to look at the lot tomorrow, but was wondering if you guys could give me some help on what it is worth.

When I spoke with him on the phone he described the follow:

A 'machine like yours'- which I took away as a newer Kohlar model most likely a C 10, 10a, or 12 as I know where this machine was used back in the day. He said it runs, smokes a little at start up.

A parts machine- I took this as a Kohlar model as well.

An older L or C that has been taken apart for ring replacement.

Rotary Plow, Rotary Cultivator, Snowblower (I think it is a Ma210), Brush Hog, 'a mower', and another attachment or two.

He gave me a price that was very fare- almost too fare. So I am wondering what you guys think a lot like this is worth?

I will try and post back tomorrow with pictures.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went and looked at the machine on Thursday night. I only got to snap one picture before the camera died. But here is what he offered me:

A Gravely 5460 (Pictured below) It runs good, smokes a little on start up. Appeared to be a card out of adjustment.

Brushhog in good shape- same era as the tractor.
Dog Eater Snow thrower.
Cultivator and Plow.
A Commercial 10a parts machine
And another machine at a different location (I didn't get to see it), but he said he took the jug off it to replace the rings.

He is asking $500 for the package- but I think I could get him around $400, is it worth it?

Also, what is the size motor- He siad he was positive it was an 11hp... but that cant be right. Is the 5460 a 10 or 12 hp machine?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
I went and looked at the machine on Thursday night. I only got to snap one picture before the camera died. But here is what he offered me:

A Gravely 5460 (Pictured below) It runs good, smokes a little on start up. Appeared to be a card out of adjustment.

Brushhog in good shape- same era as the tractor.
Dog Eater Snow thrower.
Cultivator and Plow.
A Commercial 10a parts machine
And another machine at a different location (I didn't get to see it), but he said he took the jug off it to replace the rings.

He is asking $500 for the package- but I think I could get him around $400, is it worth it?

Also, what is the size motor- He siad he was positive it was an 11hp... but that cant be right. Is the 5460 a 10 or 12 hp machine?
The answer is "Yes" - at $500 or $400. The 5460 is a 10HP tractor - same block as the 5600 series machines, just a slightly smaller piston. Hopefully your guy hasn't listed anything publicly - that equipment is priced very competitively.

·
Registered
390 Posts
VERY fair price. I would have been at his house an hour ago and waited for him to wake up.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts

·
Gravely1964
4,023 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yeah, the 5460 is the centerpiece of that deal.

·
Gravely1964
4,023 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a quick video of the tractor with the dog eater running. Do you guys think that is oil smoking or is the carb running too rich?

I'll get pictures of the rest of the loot up when I get on the computer.

Kyle

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Burning oil, valve seals, or rings would be my guess.
Thanks, thought that might be the case. It clears up at higher rpm. I am going to change out the oil with a decent heavy weight oil and call it good for now.

Here are some pictures.

Some one stole the motor off the 10a in the last couple of years, the tranny is good. So I will likely be parting this machine out.

The L8 needs new rings STD size, no scouring in the cylinder, so if I have any time this summer I will replace those.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Fantastic deal! Congrats! Even has the good 106 deck with chain guard.
Nice haul.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
How complicated is it to change the rings on these Kohlers?
Not much worse than any other small engine, although there's a chance you'll get in there and find out you need an overbore and oversized piston and rings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts