My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you remember my "idea for a sticky" thread that's what this is about.

so here goes

post in this style.

Model (model here)
Year (year here)
Condition (A for best F for worst)
What you think its worth (price here)

So... what are you waiting for?

Kori

·
Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,404 Posts
Hi all! I'm not sure with regards to mowers but from what I understand about assigning value in the diecast collectible world the prices are set based on the buying and selling track records of any given model and are updated periodically as the items are tracked. For example if there are only two of a particular model and one sells for $100.00 then that is the value until the other one sells. If the second one sells for $300.00 then the new value would be $200.00, the average of the two. We could possibly use this as a start to build a what it's worth database by submitting any mowers we have bought or sold by model number, the approximate condition, and the price sold or puchased for. For example if I submitted a 5247 Lawnboy in average condition for a purchase price of $150.00 and another person submitted the same model in the same condition that they sold for $180.00 then the value between the two mowers would average out to $165.00. Then if a third member submitted their 5247 that they bought for $240.00 then the average would be $190.00. Members could post their models, condition, and prices and these figures could be averaged out as more entries are made. This is just a suggestion and would certainly take someone with a good knowledge of creating a spreadsheet such as on Excel or something and the time to do it. Hopefully this will start the wheels turning. Bill

·
Banned
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:ditto: couldn't have said it better Nazi!

See! That's what I'm getting at.

Kori

·
Registered
395 Posts
One thing to worry about is unknowledgeable buyers and seller. I have picked up LB's for nothing because the seller did not know what they had. I think does prices should not be reported and if reported they should be thrown out. The same goes for someone who does not know what they are buying. If a mower sells 2 or 3 times what the rest of them are going for without a difference in condition the full price should not count toward the average. In these cases I think the average price should increase by a percentage of itself.

e.g.
Current "Blue Book": $100
Selling price: $350
New "Blue Book": $125-150

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
It's kind of tough to put such a system in place as price varies greatly by area. I sell a ton of mowers and I generally get quite a bit more than most guys on here think they are worth simply because of where I live and who I sell to. It's also not uncommon for a buyer or seller to be super low on price. I suppose you could take an average to give a good estimate but they are all worth whatever someone will pay for them. Condition is really an opinion as well, I've seen mowers listed in excellent condition that are roached out in person, I've also picked up mowers that were said to be junk that ended up being total gems.

One other thing to consider is time of year, here in Va. we sell the most items at the highest prices during Spring and Summer. The market drives the price and around here these things sell super fast. In the Spring and Summer I can almost ask whatever I please and it's not uncommon for me to sell 4 or 5 machines in a day. In the Fall and Winter I cant give things away so if I do sell something it's at a steep discount and sales are few and far between.

I guess what I'm getting at is one particular item will have a very different value depending on the time of year and area it is in. Because 3 guys in Kansas say my Toro Proline is worth $150 doesnt mean the landscape contractor in DC wont pay $400 for it. It may help establish a base price but it may also hurt your actual profit if you are uncertain how the market in your particular area at that time of year is.

Look at it like this, I got an email from a guy who wanted a Toro tractor I had. 2010 model that needed a new motor, flawless otherwise. He told me it wasnt worth more than $200 and that he sells them for $600 when they are up and running. The buyer that took it paid $400, put on a new motor and sold it for $1200, who was right on its value?

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
I picked up my 10323 for nothing so does that make all 10323s worth $0? Still mowing with it 5 years later. I also have a Toro 2 stroke (LB engine) that I paid $40 for and that is my back up push mower. Whats it worth ideas/lists are great on paper but really have no real value. Roger

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
I agree, there is a flaw in finding the values because of the highly fluctuating prices they sell at. Ebay is a terrible guage to use because it's an auction for one, and two it depends on the time of the year as to how many bidders there are usually. Winters I notice them selling for less, spring they go sky high! Basically each LB is worth what someone is willing to pay. If I was trying to sell one locally I'd never get Ebay prices either. $100 to $150 is about the cap on any of them, and on the local craigslist the model and "vintage" doesn't matter at all to the guy that just needs a mower.

·
Lawn Boy
1,583 Posts
At the risk of repeating the words of others, I am throwing another vote in for "they're only worth what someone will pay for it right then and there." It's not like we have old Dusenbergs which go for 75 Billion dollars (give or take) at high-profile auctions where we need a database and full time staff of Mower Appraisers -- as far as I know, that's not part of our mission.

LawnBoyKS, you must have read my mind. I was just going to post that same thing about $100-$150 as the average going rate for most LB's, aside from some sought-after commercials or collectables in recent years.

The way I think it's done currently works best. Someone restores an ABC123 mower and wants to sell it. Look through the site and ebay and wherever, see what others like it are selling for, and base it off of that personal research.

·
Banned
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:ditto: lets drop it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.