My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and neighbor had a Suburban 12 (which he bought new) with 42 inch mower, snow blade, snow thrower (the bigger Haban, from 1977), cart and, most importantly, the generator attachment. He passed 6 or 7 years ago and his widow is reluctantly considering selling the whole lot and has asked me how to price it. I had the tractor running a couple of years ago (cleaned out a mouse nest - no wire damage - changed the oil, added fresh gas and it started right up after 5 years being stored), but it has worked hard for 40 years and would probably need a full restoration. The mower deck, blade and cart are well used, but in better than average condition with primarily surface rust because, like the tractor, they have always been stored indoors. He had two of the snow throwers so the remaining one was only used for a few years and is in very good condition. I don't think the generator attachment was used more than a few times.

I have some idea what the usual components are worth based upon following the forums, but I don't think I've ever seen a generator attachment price.

I'd appreciate your inputs on the value of any and all components, but especially the generator attachment.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
It's worth what someone is willing to pay... Location and condition has a lot to do with it.

The Tractor if it's running and in good shape, probably $300-350
Mower deck - if its the old style, $50-75, if its the scissor lift $100-125, Dozer blade $75-100, Haban blower $150-200, cart, $75-100, Generator anywhere from $150-250 maybe

Like I said condition and location... If she wants to sell it all as a package, she'll get offers between $300 and 600 or 700 maybe... individually selling stuff will bring more money but takes time.

If I were buying, I owuld probably offer about $500 cause I never pay full price. Most people are in my category. That being said, I have a buddy in NH who is swilling to spend more on nice stuff, and he's looking for a nice suburban with snowblower and deck... I may have a buddy interested in a plow, and I would love a generator, but i am "frugal" (cheap) and don't think they're worth what most people pay for them.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, GT_80.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Definitely will get more if you sell things individually. People looking for a particular thing will pay for it. If they have to buy other stuff to get it, they'll lower total offer as they'll get stuff they don't want and will then have to try to dispose of. Problem with "vintage" equipment is, no one is going to buy a house then go looking for a tractor and all the attachments of that age. You have to be a "collector" to appreciate Suburbans and attachments. That being said, if you're a collector, you've already got a lot of them. Real "catch 22." I gave away a '66 Gravely walk behind with some attachments, ran great, everything worked, no one wanted it, certainly not if they had to pay. Check CL to see what Suburbans go for in your area..

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Everland,
I agree with you on selling separately, but the owner is finding it painful to sell in the first place so I think she wants to sell as a lot if possible.
Jim

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a detailed list of the part numbers today. The owner copied them from the original manuals (which will go with the lot).

Suburban 12 Tractor: 917.25550
12 H.P. Engine: 143.592072
42" Snow Thrower: 842.260052
BullDozer Blade - Snow Plow: 917.253330
42" Rotary Mower: 917.253150
Dump Cart: 402.98700
4000 Watt Alternator: 580.58011

As suggested from my signature, we are in Rhode Island (near Newport).

The attachments are stored in the back of a shed, but I will still try to get some pictures next week if possible.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a detailed list of the part numbers today. The owner copied them from the original manuals (which will go with the lot).

Suburban 12 Tractor: 917.25550
12 H.P. Engine: 143.592072
42" Snow Thrower: 842.260052
BullDozer Blade - Snow Plow: 917.253330
42" Rotary Mower: 917.253150
Dump Cart: 402.98700
4000 Watt Alternator: 580.58011

For reference (as suggested from my signature), we are in Rhode Island (near Newport).

The attachments are stored in the back of a shed, but I will still try to get some pictures next week if possible.

·
Premium Member
10,543 Posts
I think the prices above seem very close, however I have seen generator prices all over the place. 3 years ago I saw just the 4000W generator head without the bracket sell for $600 US on a Facebook auction. I'm not saying they all go for that as they definitely don't, but a bidding war can do crazy things. I paid $125 US for my generator head that needed new bearings and I had to build a bracket for it.

Personally I think a complete, original running generator is probably worth 200 to 300. But as everyone else said, pictures with the condition is everything :)

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the input MikMan48. I agree.
I am trying to get pictures, but the owner is not available until later next week.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got to take the pictures today.

Every thing seems to be complete (mule drives, rods, brackets, handles, etc.) with the exception of the removable grill piece, but the owner is still looking for it. Given that we found the original tractor seat, all the manuals and even the original invoices, I think it will show up yet.

It appears that all rust is surface rust, or as a friend who helped get everything into the open said, nice "patina". Definitely no rust through on anything. Looks like the dozer blade edge may have been replaced. The mower blades turn easily and don't appear to wobble so I think the bearings are good. The original owner was meticulous about mechanical maintenance.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on values and asking prices.

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More pictures. There is even what looks like a NOS mower cover plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More pictures. The alternator and manuals.

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Note that the belt guard assembly (a.k.a. motor housing) is also included (not shown in pictures).

·
Premium Member
6,094 Posts
Got your message Jim... wow you sure came through with the pics!

Looks very nice to me... needs some buffing and paint fo' sho' but it all looks pretty straight, and very complete.

As to value... I dunno but if that showed up in my neighborhood I'd be very interested, be an excellent restoration project.

🍻

·
Premium Member
10,543 Posts
Just saw your message as well, that is in fine shape! The rear wheel weights look like John Deere double notch weights which will be worth something too. The generator is the older style 4000 watt model, which appears to show up for sale much less frequently. I would say the higher end of GT80's price points would be right for all that. The only wild card is the generator which may be a little higher

Can always start high and work down!

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
I stand by my previous prices. Snowblower looks like it's in pretty good shape, the lawn roller in that shape, $100-150, the generator, still maybe $150-250.

The whole package probably worth $850-1000 to the right buyer, but that is premium pricing...

If I were making an offer, I'd be in around $600-650 honestly... and I'm not making an offer, I'm pretty broke right now. A few weeks Furlough have hit me pretty hard lately... I was doing pretty well as I am still working, but on furlough with unemployment, even the "extra" to me, means I am losing money still.

·
Super Moderator
11,155 Posts
Priced at $700 I think it would be gone in a flash...waiting it out I could see it fetching $1,000 for all. if the tires are decent and with all the literature ........but, ..as pointed out....to the "right buyer"

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In case anyone is interested, the entire package is now posted for sale.

Thank you all again for your help.

Jim

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
I saw the generator on Craigslist, I would love it, but I really don't have the money right now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts