My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a allis chalmers 5015 a few miles away for $1200. Its been sitting outside for 10+ years. Previous owner took apart injection pump cause it wasnt running right then lost pieces. Guy selling it said he found a pump for the toyosha engine for $450 or a yanmar would bold right in. Also has electrical issues, hydraulic cylinders for the snowblower attachment are missing. Deck is rotted, but might be salvageable. Seat is destroyed. one of the front tires need a tube. Still has my interest, but this is a weird find. I see parts availability isnt that great. Sadly it only has 380 hours on it. Should i walk away or make an offer?

·
Administrator
17,825 Posts
Well it certainly does have a serious set of problems, even for an '82-'85 era tractor and with all that is wrong there is no way to know what else may be wrong with it. Previous owner doesn't seem to be the most meticulous in either maintenance/care or apparently of keeping track of stuff he takes apart. Just in replacing pmp, seat, hyd. cylinders, and few other pieces you will have another $1000 min in it. And that's without diving into a messed up electrical system or even if engine is good cause it obviously didn't "run when I parked it!" I guess I wouldn't go more than $600/650 if that. But since I haven't seen it, although you do make it sound trashed, that's just a WAG. As an aside, this tractor is the same as a Simplicity 9518 so before biting the bullet you could check on parts for that Mdl. BTW in 1985 they went for $6549.
MikeC

·
Super Moderator
10,567 Posts
I agree with Newsman...but my offer would be closer to about 500 ....sounds like you will have to go for tires also...those alone will be between 5-600 dollars...150 for a decent battery...by now the radiator is probably shot...then the engine work...I do not believe that tractor has power steering....if you got it for 500...it is a good frame from which to build up....but then the cylinders for the snow blower will be at least another 300 bucks...IF the mowing deck can be rebuilt it will be a little more...I wonder why a diesel with only 380 hours would have a problem that would dictate taking the injector pump off....sounds like you found a new (used) one...that is not a bad price for it....but you would want to have it rebuilt before putting it in the engine.........if you want this to put a FEL on it...or drag a trailer or tiller it COULD be worth a 500 dollar investment....but forget reviving the deck or the blower ....with the expectation that it is going to run you at least another 2k or so to get it running...and that is if you are at least willing to learn how to work on it ...if you are not familiar with a project like this you should pass on it...it really sounds more like a parts tractor for someone who has one already and needs a source of replacement stuff

·
Professional Homeowner
8,042 Posts
I would put it somewhere between free and scrap price. From what you describe, it’s what you might call a basket case. There are so many unknowns. Engine might even be stuck at this point. The wiring issue is probably going to end up resulting in extensive rewiring but that will be more time to do than money for the supplies. Tires/rims are a huge unknown common expense if needed. Many other valid expensive potential issues have also been mentioned.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I offered $400. Waiting on response.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yeah, maybe........I came across one, basket case, I put it back together, runs pretty well, little smoke after start up, then it clears up. I think that I need a hydraulic pump, 3pt arms don't seem very strong. I'd like to find a pump that I could use........or, sell it to someone like packrat. Thanks MARK (LI) thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts