My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Cub scene....just got a 2130......fixed up/running just fine. And, the question is....just what does it take to run/power a Johnny Bucket Jr.? Could I do it with a 2130 and only 13 Hp? I figure I'd need different rear tires and weights too.

Info and guidance appreciated. Thanks.......Mike

·
Registered
758 Posts
The JBjr actuators are electric powered, (jbjr sr can use a tractor's hydraulics) connected straight to the battery, so you can go a while on battery if your charging system is not enough for the jbjr current draw. If you are a very heavy jbjr user and find you wear down the battery, I guess you may want to get a larger marine (deep cycle) battery, but I've not heard of anyone doing so.
HP wise, do you really think you will be scouping a larger load than a 12 horse team can handle? Don't think so.. messmaker is correct. The other factor is steering axle strength,
Tires and weights depend on where and what you're digging (may not need any change if you are moving a load of mulch or rocks that were delivered onto your driveway. Digging into established stuff or dealing with hills, then you need more traction). If you do not have power steering, you may want some counter-balance weight on the rear.

·
Registered
542 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The JBjr actuators are electric powered, (jbjr sr can use a tractor's hydraulics) connected straight to the battery, so you can go a while on battery if your charging system is not enough for the jbjr current draw. If you are a very heavy jbjr user and find you wear down the battery, I guess you may want to get a larger marine (deep cycle) battery, but I've not heard of anyone doing so.
HP wise, do you really think you will be scouping a larger load than a 12 horse team can handle? Don't think so.. messmaker is correct. The other factor is steering axle strength,
Tires and weights depend on where and what you're digging (may not need any change if you are moving a load of mulch or rocks that were delivered onto your driveway. Digging into established stuff or dealing with hills, then you need more traction). If you do not have power steering, you may want some counter-balance weight on the rear.
Good info...thanks.

I'd be digging into driveways (rubble/stone) to even out after snow plows push the stones out. I thought I'd get the "tooth attachment" to help there. Counter balance on rear....good thought.

Should you ever increase air pressure in tires beyond side wall PSI?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
mhdi22, if you're paranoid like me (love that cowboy troy tune), then some 4 ply front tires are a good thing (not that you'll be exceeding the capacity of 2-ply with a jbjr).

I'd suggest some firestone tri-ribs as they look totally cool and will make your ride steer like it's on rails. For the rear, add some filled Carlisle true powers if you like the tractor look, or all trails if you prefer the HDAP style. Depending on the fill media, you can get 60-90 pounds in each 23x10.50-12. Nice thing about liquid is that it does not increase the rotational intertia of the wheel, and is therefore easier on both the operator and the transmission.

As notime pointed out, if you are going to use the jbjr for extremely long sessions, then you might be a candidate for a deep cycle battery upgrade. With lighter use the stock battery is fine.

ditto messmaker on the tranny and the front end. There are a bunch of guys running 10 inch moldboard plows on 12 hp tractors.

You should never exced the recommended maximum tire pressure. If you're squishing your stock 2 plys, then get the 4. You would need to be working hard to flatten properly inflated 2-plys.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Johnny's instructions in the delivery materials mention inflating the fronts a little more or use the max (I'm thinking 10 or 12psi if memory serves) to help with steering effort, and I always make sure to hit the steering grease zerks before a jbjr session

·
Registered
339 Posts
Having a friend that has used a plow (snow) on his tractor (Sears) for many years. He told me that 2 of his friends have had to completely rebuild the front ends of their tractors plowing snow, and could not understand that he has not done anything to his. He told me that he greases his tractor before every plowing session. Meaning if he goes out to plow today, and it snows again tonight he will shoot the grease fittings again in the morning before it leaves the garage again. Because I also plow, I plan on using that thought for me, grease is cheap, parts are not.......
By the way, I checked I can get a JBJR for my LTX1045 also..... Would love one, however I just cannot justify one, just another toy......

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:thanku: ....all good info and stored in my memory bank...:ROF .......yup I'm old......Initially I'll have a heavy work load for the bucket.....then taper off to the puttering type of chores. Grease is good.....4 ply tires = OK

·
Registered
901 Posts
Johnny's instructions in the delivery materials mention inflating the fronts a little more or use the max (I'm thinking 10 or 12psi if memory serves) to help with steering effort, and I always make sure to hit the steering grease zerks before a jbjr session
Not sure how beefy the steering components on the 2130 are but I would add to avoid turning the front wheels under load until you are moving. Turning the steering wheel under a front load while stopped puts a ton more strain/wear on the steering system.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good info...thanks to all.....I just hit the enter key on the Johnny B purchase. Couldn't stop myself....new toy.
Pics when I get it. :trink39:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mhdi22: You're going to love your Jbjr. I have one for my Simplicity Landlord, and it has made my mulching chores a pleasure.

I also bought the quicker dump actuators, and later the snow shoe attachment JUST in case we ever see significant snow in my area. Hasn't happened for sometime, but who knows? :crybaby: :ROF :drunkie:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts