My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
OK this is a little embarrassing. Figured this would be easy. Remove front tie-rod end, turn to bring some toe in, repeat on other side, no problem. Except I can't for the life of me turn the tie-rod end. what am I missing here? Do I need heat it up (maybe they use some Loctite on it?). I turned pretty hard but the other end of the tie rod was still attached to the frame and I didn't want to go all out He-Man on it.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
high speed turns tend to make for an uncomfortable ride with the operator hanging onto the steering wheel for dear life
now that is the really fun part of an AWS. It makes it really easy to do a high speed turn. It is almost as much fun as a rear wheel drive car in the snow.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Use one wrench to hold the tie rod end and another to loosen the jam nut. It should not be on too tight, but I would expect you might need 60 lb-ft to loosen it. It doesn't look rusted and I hope someone didn't put red Loctite on it. Did you use two wrenches?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Left side is left hand threaded and right side is right hand threaded if I recall correctly. Also if they have never been apart, they can corrode a bit and get stuck together over time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
got it. i was trying to loosen the jamb nut with the rod-end detached and couldn't get enough torque on it. while still attached it was almost easy. made a correction to the right front only. it's measuring about 1/8" toe in now. the set positions on the tie rods are quite different on the left vs the right. won't really know for sure until I put some new rubber on there.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
if you go for a ride on flat clean uniform pavement, and let go of the steeringwheel, you can tell how it it is by how well it will track. bad toe out or in, will make it unstable - it will want to go slightly left or right, and it will be hard to keep it straight. It wont be a strong pull but it will be noticeable.
If you go straight down a paved road for a few hundred feet, you should be able to tell.

if it's good, you shouldnt have to make steering adjustmnets to keep it tracking well and not trying to shimmy.... right down to being able to let go of the wheel and it should just keep going..... "Look Ma! - No Hands!!"...

·
Registered
347 Posts
When I listed my method the only reason the tire is off the ground is to spin the tire to get the mark on it.
Both tires should be on the ground when you measure, front and back.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sounds like you got it and a ride should confirm.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts