My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas,
I am trying to find the best and safest machine to mow on steep slopes that are about 2 to 2 and 1/2 feet fall every 10 feet for 60 feet or so. I would like to mow the whole thing across the slope as going up seems to take too much power or not enough traction for the mowers I have tried. My Small Kubota will mow up and down and across for part of the way but it seems a little top heavy and it would just be easier to mow across all the way. Any suggestions for me to look into? I have thought of a good Z Turn but have heard different things from different people about them on slopes.
Thanks,
TPS

·
Junk Collector
420 Posts
While I do not recommended mowing across slopes, it is sometimes necessary.

I know that at my local high school they use a ZTR mower equipped with aggressive tires and a roll cage in order to mow across the many steep hills. They seem to do pretty well, though.

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
TPS,

How much lawn do you cut in addition to this area? If it isn't much, then there is no reason to suggest an expensive solution (Steiner, DewEaze, Kut Kwick), or even a 4WD tractor. Perhaps, changing the landscaping in that area would be the best solution. :)

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Gravely walk behind. With dual wheels, they are extremely stable and have a bunch of different attachments that can be put on.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Any pics of your hills? My X500 handles mine will no problems.

Right about where the birds are in the pic, the hill gets a LOT steeper than you can tell in the picture. I was worried about getting a new tractor this year about what could handle it... X500 feels even more stable than our old Ariens GT did on that hill.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
My John Deere F935 front mower would have no problem with that hill as long as not wet. The 935 is basically a heavy garden tractor turned backwards with deck out the front. Very low center of gravity and very stable. Many ZTR's are dangerous on slopes like this, but the 935 shines. No flipping backwards at all.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I guess it gonna depend alot on how big an area we are talking about here,, how much human effort you wish to expend and your budget. We are Very good at spending others cash! :thThumbsU

·
Registered
104 Posts
my JD La 145 would handle that as well...... I had to mow the neighbours grass the other week and he had let his grass grow 3' high.... I cut it first with the whipper snipper and then mowed the entire thing..... at a slow pace mind you... His side of his house for about 50' up and 80' across the hill.....the slope is at least 30 degrees and in one part almost 40 degrees and I still managed to mow up that hill ..... the grass was dry and we had hardly any spin at all from the wheels.... only when the weight was shifting from the traction tire........... I was worried that I wasn't gonna be able to mow it!!!!!!!!!!!!! especially with no weight at all

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
my JD La 145 would handle that as well...... I had to mow the neighbours grass the other week and he had let his grass grow 3' high.... I cut it first with the whipper snipper and then mowed the entire thing..... at a slow pace mind you... His side of his house for about 50' up and 80' across the hill.....the slope is at least 30 degrees and in one part almost 40 degrees and I still managed to mow up that hill ..... the grass was dry and we had hardly any spin at all from the wheels.... only when the weight was shifting from the traction tire........... I was worried that I wasn't gonna be able to mow it!!!!!!!!!!!!! especially with no weight at all
I sell the LA145 at work... I couldn't possibly see it handling that hill I posted a picture of, it's steeper than it looks in the picture, at one point, it almost feels like it's straight vertical, at least when you're actually ON the tractor itself, pictures never do justice. I bought the X500 because of the transmission. The LA145, while a good entry level mower, would not make it more than 1 season doing a slope like that up and down AND side to side along with 2+ other acres of land.

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
At the Illinois Tollway, we used to mow some places that would make you wet your pants; using Fords w/ Woods mowers or Motts. The slopes around overpasses and such. Just because they told us to. Most of the time we would have to mow side to side. It can be done. However, the tractors would crab sideways at a 45 degree angle and spin the tires. It took multiple passes to get all the grass cut; and the erosion became bad from the grass being torn up. Eventually the Big Shots decided that it wasn't a good thing. Don't forget to have a ROPS. If you have a loader bucket; keep it down, not up.

It's better to plant something that doesn't need mowed; something like Crown Vetch.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I sell the LA145 at work... I couldn't possibly see it handling that hill I posted a picture of, it's steeper than it looks in the picture, at one point, it almost feels like it's straight vertical, at least when you're actually ON the tractor itself, pictures never do justice. I bought the X500 because of the transmission. The LA145, while a good entry level mower, would not make it more than 1 season doing a slope like that up and down AND side to side along with 2+ other acres of land.
You're right.No rear drive tractor will climb 30 deg without spinning out or pulling the front end up if it has enough traction.Won't go across without sliding down.4-wheel drive will slide at 30deg also.4-wheel drive will go up or down if it has sufficient power and braking ability.

The OP has 10-15 deg slope.Most any tractor or Z will handle that.Some are more stable and comfortable than others.I use a Kubota GR series and am well satisfied with its slope mowing capabilities.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses guys,
I have to mow tomorrow and will have the BX1500 on the hill and will get a picture to post. Most of my yard is a hill!
JD Fanatic,
I have thought of Steiner etc. as they are real hill working machines, but I really can't justify that much money just for my yard.
dj2cohen,
I might check out one of the Gravelys you mention, but I am trying to get away from walking. I push mow some of the hill now just to cut in and would like to be able to ride it all.
Chris,
I'll get soome pictures tomorrow I hope. The hill I have to contend with seems about that steep or maybe a little steeper and is longer. I know pictures do not give you the real feel for how steep they are either.
olcowhand,
I will check into that model JD or one like it. I talked to a guy yesterday that was using something like you are talking about. It was a JD and front mower mount ZTR type but I did not get the number. He said it handled the hills well too and he was cutting commercially.
Lilysdad,
I have seen some of the places they mowed on soome of the overpasses and I would not feel safe doing it. Believe me if it was not my whole front yard I would plant it in something.
Thanks for the input guys I'll get pics tomorrow.
Take care,
TPS

·
Once was a Super Member
13,692 Posts

·
Banned
852 Posts
I don't have a flat spot on my property, E TN mountains. My 1811 and 982 go everywhere I want it too, scarry in places. Yeah and same here pics just don't tell the story. It's about the weight.

Scott

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Well that slope tractor link Wingnut posted is pretty neat...

...as far as TPS's slope goes. If I understand it correctly that not too bad and could be mowed latterly. We have 300' of road embankment that mowed latterly with all our machines. I did have to disconnect the seat PTO on the 2550 to more safely hang my behind over the uphill side though. Mostly cause it was too sensitive and turned off all too easily with the least amount body adjustment.

This winter I'd like to mod the seat safety so it's less sensitive and will stay engaged if the operator slides to the side of the seat.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i use a 4x4 honda foreman with a tow behind agri-fab to mow similar slopes. it's far easier to shift your weight on an atv seat than on a tractor seat.

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
The Cub i-Series manual states it can safely do up to 15 degrees. 2.5 ft rise over 10 ft run is just under 15 degrees.

It has a wide track also - 42" from tire outside to outside, both front and rear. Never had it next to another tractor to compare tracks but it looks very wide to me. See the pics in my sig.

Top of the engine is 27" off the ground (cowling is taller but is mostly air). The battery sticks up about 6" from that and of course the seat back is higher, but most of the tractor is fairly low.

Other i-Series owners have posted that it hugs the hills very well (my lawn has only slight hills so I can't testify to this myself).

Here's a thread with posts from some people who have used one on more aggressive hills than I have. Specifically see posts #12 and #14.

And of course the bonus is it does zero turns, but won't crab when driving crossways on a steep hill since it doesn't have caster wheels like other ZTRs.. the fronts are linked to the steering wheel like a regular tractor.

Also with dual hyros that vary in speed depending on steering angle, you get the effective traction of a locking differential but also the differential tire speed to avoid damaging turf when cornering.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys,
Wingnut that slope tractor is the first I have ever seen like that! Neat looking rig and I bet they don't make them any more. After reading some of these posts, I believe I could mow across the hill when dry but I just do not want to turn the thing over.
Toolin,
I may check one of those I series out for just mowing.
I tried to get one thing to do all move rock, blade off snow in winter and mow etc. So far I am pleased with the little Kubota, I was just wanting to mow all the hill croass ways and not have to push mow around the house and over the septic etc.
Chris223,
What kind of grass is that on your hill? Looks nice.
I am trying to up load a pic of me on the hill, hope it comes through.
Thanks for the information and comments and take care-TPS

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts