My Tractor Forum banner

What zero turn for my mom and step dad

2488 Views 32 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  My craftsman 917.27308
My mom and step dad are needing to buy a mower for a new house with over an acre yard. It's fairly sloped and they want one that will last them out if possible. They are 59 and 60 and I'm mowing it for now until they get something. He (step dad) seems almost dead set on Kubota or maybe Ferris because he wants something from the local dealer that they will service. I'm having a hard time getting him to consider anything different. He also says he would rather have a gas engine. He was also originally thinking something in the $7k range but he said he knows he might have to spend $10k or so... I don't want to suggest anything too expensive. I was trying to find a used Grasshopper with the liquid cooled Kubota gas engine but they don't show up often.

I was thinking the ZG222 or ZG227 but those engines are made by Kohler and I hear they are junk engines. If they had the liquid cooled Kubota gas engine this would be perfect.

The Z724 with the Kawasaki FX 23.5hp engine, Parker HTG14 transaxle and 54" deck sounds good. $11,550

Or the Z421 or Z422 with the Kawasaki FS730V 24hp engine, Hydro-Gear commercial ZT-3600 transaxle and 54" deck for $8,400

How well will the Z421/422 hold up longevity wise compared to the Z724? Any other mowers I should try to suggest?
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
We went to the Kubota dealer and they had zero Kubota zero turns (showroom was empty) and the sales guy was busy so we ended up leaving. He went to a different dealer in another town and was asking me about a Bad Boy that cost $6500 and has the FR730V. I know this is a cheaper homeowner engine compared to the FS730V but don't know much about them. I'm trying to get him to hold out for what he really wants.

He is wanting to get something ASAP since I'm hauling my 345 over and mowing it for now which I told them is no big deal if I have to do it the rest of the mowing season. I'm trying to help as much as I can to get them situated with what will work best for them. He just doesn't want to rely on anyone which I understand.
I work at a state university, the fleet here is numerous John Deere X7XX tractors, several Z9XX, some eXmark, Ven-Trac for hills, These are all multipurposed for snow removeal also. There is a nice Massey Fergusson SCUT along with many other larger tractors for the Ag Department. We are 90 minutes from Moline and have a campus in the Quad Cities, I'm surprised we are not Green through and through.

CCMoe
FWIW I looked for a used Scag and was told their warranty only applies to the initial owner. I figure if they are that strict on the warranty, they may not be as good as they seem. Ditto on lawn care business usually using Exmark, but local schools around here use a fair amount of Deere ZTRs, use them a couple years and trade them in. Must be something there that lawn care businesses don’t buy into.
I have a Husqvarna MT61 that I bought new 6 years ago and I beat the stuffings out of it every week on my yard. The only things I have done to it are new deck belt, one new spindle (my fault), new blades, and a new battery. It takes hills really well. The only thing I wish it had were a suspension seat and a swiveling axle in the front. It's easy to high-side wheels on it. It's fast and cuts nice.

It's been very reliable, however I don't think it's realistic that it, or any other mower, last for the rest of my mowing career. I am 62 and am pretty sure I will be replacing it before I die.
I have 2 cubs RZT-L54 a 2015 mine & 2017 Wife's. Both bought new. Total for both was 5900.00. So we mow at least 100 inch a pass. Lot's of trees and tight spots. Reason for the 54 inch decks. Both have kohler 7000 series 24hp. Way over powered. But very good on fuel. Other then oil & filter and blades sharpened nothing else. All original. Mine a bit over 600 hours. Wife's a bit over 300 hours. Far as I know kohler has 3 year commercial warranty on the 7000 series now. We mow between 5 & 7 acres on farm. Between 3 inches to 2 feet of grass that is cut. On hills not very good but that's between 20 & 25 degrees. Riding mower could control where you were sliding. Zero turn hang on for the ride. Have had zero problems with EZT trans. But if I do I will just rebuilt it easy enough. I think most all mowers today are good mowers. It more depends on how they are treated. I'm 65 and My Wife 63. Reason for us buying zero turns. The turning the steering wheels on our garden Tractors were hurting our health. Have always had simplicity Tractors. But there zero turns were priced a bit to high. And cub had 48 month 0 interest on these. I like all mowers from all manufacturers they are all special.
Your step dad has the right idea.. to get something that the local dealer will service.
He is smart. Step aside, step son. 😉
My mom and step dad are needing to buy a mower for a new house with over an acre yard. It's fairly sloped and they want one that will last them out if possible. They are 59 and 60 and I'm mowing it for now until they get something. He (step dad) seems almost dead set on Kubota or maybe Ferris because he wants something from the local dealer that they will service. I'm having a hard time getting him to consider anything different. He also says he would rather have a gas engine. He was also originally thinking something in the $7k range but he said he knows he might have to spend $10k or so... I don't want to suggest anything too expensive. I was trying to find a used Grasshopper with the liquid cooled Kubota gas engine but they don't show up often.

I was thinking the ZG222 or ZG227 but those engines are made by Kohler and I hear they are junk engines. If they had the liquid cooled Kubota gas engine this would be perfect.

The Z724 with the Kawasaki FX 23.5hp engine, Parker HTG14 transaxle and 54" deck sounds good. $11,550

Or the Z421 or Z422 with the Kawasaki FS730V 24hp engine, Hydro-Gear commercial ZT-3600 transaxle and 54" deck for $8,400

How well will the Z421/422 hold up longevity wise compared to the Z724? Any other mowers I should try to suggest?
You may have to drive out of the area to buy your Kubota. I have noticed that some dealers have less inventory than others. The local dealer will still service it. They should also certainly understand him buying it somewhere else since he started with them and they didn't have anything.

We ordered a new Gravely ZT HD 60 last summer around April and we waited two months and finally we were told they wouldn't have anything until fall. We got the deposit back and went and bought a used (had 30 hrs. on it) Bush Hog Commercial mower for about $8k. You may need to look at the slightly used market. Again, they will still service it locally.
Hope the step dad finds a Kubota he likes.
You may have to drive out of the area to buy your Kubota. I have noticed that some dealers have less inventory than others. The local dealer will still service it. They should also certainly understand him buying it somewhere else since he started with them and they didn't have anything.

We ordered a new Gravely ZT HD 60 last summer around April and we waited two months and finally we were told they wouldn't have anything until fall. We got the deposit back and went and bought a used (had 30 hrs. on it) Bush Hog Commercial mower for about $8k. You may need to look at the slightly used market. Again, they will still service it locally.
Cost benefit analysis would say you can buy a fish cheaply at the local market for years instead of packing the truck and boat off to some remote lake and spending the day in the fresh air and sunshine fishing.

Maybe I'm as crazy as my wife claims, but I'd spend $10k on a mower before paying anyone else to live my mowing life. My worst day mowing is far better than my best day sitting on the sofa.

Just my opinion. You do you, I'll do me.
💯 Agree. There isn't much practical about my equipment buys. But it is my hobby and I make no apology for them.

Everyone has to settle that for themselves.

Also, dependency on others is becoming more of a crapshoot everyday.
Cost benefit analysis would say you can buy a fish cheaply at the local market for years instead of packing the truck and boat off to some remote lake and spending the day in the fresh air and sunshine fishing.

Maybe I'm as crazy as my wife claims, but I'd spend $10k on a mower before paying anyone else to live my mowing life. My worst day mowing is far better than my best day sitting on the sofa.

Just my opinion. You do you, I'll do me.
If your step dad is set on the Kubota then that's what he should buy, but personally, I would consider the Ferris before the Kubota. Ferris main focus is cutting grass and that's my reason. Not tractors or HD equipment.
Ferris, Simplicity, Snapper and Snapper Pro are all owned by Briggs and Stratton and you can still get a Kawasaki engine in them. My Snapper Pro S150xt is now 9 years old and I have never had a day of disappointment.

He is now looking at the Bobcat ZT3500 which they said they could get it in within 2 or 3 weeks.
Ran across a used Kubota zero turn with a metal dump from the seat MCS. It has just over 1800 hrs, but for a diesel, that’s not much. Looks very clean. Gave it some thought for myself, but it only has a 52” deck, I don’t have anything else diesel, and my 757 runs and the 60” 7-Iron cuts great. PM me if you’re interested. It’s in upper LP of Michigan.
He is now looking at the Bobcat ZT3500 which they said they could get it in within 2 or 3 weeks.
My back hurts every time I use the tractor to cut the grass, so I bought a Toro My Ride. The seat suspension is on a separate frame from the mower deck and wheels. No matter how fast you go, you don't feel the bumps. Its super comfortable. When I get off of it, my back doesn't hurt. They are easy to work on too. Everything is accessible. I already did a five hour oil change on it. My yard is flat so I don't know how it is on slopes. But I do know Toro owns Exmark and they are basically made the same. Both quality Zero Turns.
21 - 33 of 33 Posts