My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I need some more help from the experts here. I bought an older Sears tractor the other day and the model# is 917-254410 I'm interested in finding out the year it was built. I also need to find a wiring schematic for the tractor since the last owner worked his "Magic" on the wiring. Wish I could figure out how to post photos! It has an 18hp briggs twin with a horizonal shaft engine. When I got it home it would only run on 1 cylinder so I drained the fuel tank, and flushed it with new gas. Re-built the carb, and it runs great! It also came with 55lb rear wheel weights, and a front blade that's in real good shape. Kinda lucky to run across something like this in So. California since there arent many old tractors out here. Thanks in advance for any info on this tractor, Litz

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Hey Guys, I need some more help from the experts here. I bought an older Sears tractor the other day and the model# is 917-254410 I'm interested in finding out the year it was built. I also need to find a wiring schematic for the tractor since the last owner worked his "Magic" on the wiring. Wish I could figure out how to post photos! It has an 18hp briggs twin with a horizonal shaft engine. When I got it home it would only run on 1 cylinder so I drained the fuel tank, and flushed it with new gas. Re-built the carb, and it runs great! It also came with 55lb rear wheel weights, and a front blade that's in real good shape. Kinda lucky to run across something like this in So. California since there arent many old tractors out here. Thanks in advance for any info on this tractor, Litz
Ok your tractor is a late 80s' to early 90s'.
Here is the wiring.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the wiring diagram, and info. It seems to be a pretty good old tractor so far. I havent run it much yet, but the engine runs good, and the transmission seems to be fine. I paid 200.00 for it yesterday. I figured the 55 lb wheel weights, and the front blade were worth that? I also have an SS 18 with an Onan engine, and another 80's Craftsman tractor with an 18hp Briggs engine. All my tractors have the hi-lo trans which seems to be almost indestructable. Anyway, I've only been fooling with these tractor for 3-4 yrs. and cant beleive how much fun they are. Anyway Thanks again, Litz

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Thanks for the wiring diagram, and info. It seems to be a pretty good old tractor so far. I havent run it much yet, but the engine runs good, and the transmission seems to be fine. I paid 200.00 for it yesterday. I figured the 55 lb wheel weights, and the front blade were worth that? I also have an SS 18 with an Onan engine, and another 80's Craftsman tractor with an 18hp Briggs engine. All my tractors have the hi-lo trans which seems to be almost indestructable. Anyway, I've only been fooling with these tractor for 3-4 yrs. and cant beleive how much fun they are. Anyway Thanks again, Litz
I had an older version, there as tough as nails. All my GTs have had those trasmissions. The suburban in my avatar has the same trans.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts