My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1986 318 that I am looking to replace the power steering control valve on. I have not taken the old one out yet. It seems that earlier 318s had a 4 port version, then switched to a 5 port. I see adds for used ones that say they are the 5 port version. Would this be the correct PS control valve for my 318? Its serial No. is 366853.

Thanks
Mark

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
I have 4 port in mine. What was the advantages to the 5 port?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks D-Dogg, that's what I needed to know. Now I can bid on a 5 port and know it will work. Hopefully those "small differences" won't make a difference in fit and function for me.
Mark

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Thanks D-Dogg, that's what I needed to know. Now I can bid on a 5 port and know it will work. Hopefully those "small differences" won't make a difference in fit and function for me.
Mark
There is a difference in the manifold among the 5 ports, so it would be prudent to ask the seller the serial number form which it came before you bid.

I think 285001 through 595888 would be safe for you.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Looks to me like manifold, check balls, and a valve are the key differences. The thread sizing on the ports I can't imagine being different.

Either of the 5 port valves would most likely work for you, but I don't want to say that authoritatively and have you get the wrong one.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, I understand. I won't hold you responsible. You are always taking a risk buying used parts on ebay anyways. I would think that if I bought a brand new one from JD, they would only have one version, the latest made, available for a service part anyways. So with that assumption, you're probably correct that a later model would still work.

Mark

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
OK, I understand. I won't hold you responsible. You are always taking a risk buying used parts on ebay anyways. I would think that if I bought a brand new one from JD, they would only have one version, the latest made, available for a service part anyways. So with that assumption, you're probably correct that a later model would still work.

Mark
Where's my sign?
AM100268STEERING CONTROL UNIT1285001-595888(FIVE PORT) (SUB AM107082)

Apparently JD thinks the newer one will work in place of the older one too.

·
Super Moderator
35,860 Posts
5 port allows the Power Steering to take precedence over the other hydraulic spools if they're being used so that steering effort doesn't change. I have the 4 port and if you are using the other spools while turning you lose PS until they've completed cycling.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
You are correct. My 4 port does that too. I understand why they went to a 5 port.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts