My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only owned my HT20 for about a month or so,I'm honest,so I will be straight forward. I paid $600.00 for a running,moving non smoking HT20 with a 54" deck and a 48" snowblower.A stones throw from where I live sets an HT 20 with no attachments other than the 3 point hitch,he wants $600.00 for a non running tractor. My question: Would you pay that kind of money for a 3PTH and a parts tractor? Can I even work the mower deck(up and down)independantly from the 3PTH? Would I be better off "fabbing" my own 3 point?
What would you do?
Thanks,Bill

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
You can make a lot of 3ph for 600 bucks.

·
5,525 Posts
Offer $400 and see if he takes it.

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
You could always sell the 3 pt for at least half that with no trouble, if it is complete. If the tractor has all of its parts, that is a reasonable asking price, IMO.

·
Registered
829 Posts
$400-$500 is a fair price.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could always sell the 3 pt for at least half that with no trouble, if it is complete. If the tractor has all of its parts, that is a reasonable asking price, IMO.
It's a complete tractor,minus power steering and engine shrouds. He picked it up in Maine a few months ago(maybe from a member?)and never heard it run. I think his price is somewhat reasonable,but I will try to talk him down. He's the type of guy,that if he doesn't like yuor offer,he will run you off his property,again and again and again. Can you "multi task" with the original large frame 3 points?
In other words;can I lower my mowing deck with the 3 point and a 10"plow attached without plowing the lawn while I mow?That will be my deciding factor in this deal. From the pictures I've seen,a person can lock the 3PTH in the upright posision,is this true?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
The 3pt uses the same lift cylinder the mmm does. I have read (on MTF, I believe) of a guy that added another rock shaft for use on the 3pt. Now THAT'S the way to go!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He wouldn't budge on the price. I bit just for a parts tractor and 3 pth. After removing the seat pan I found this..,.
Apparently the grub screws came loose and the drive shaft made a mess of things.

This picture of the bottom side of the seat pan doesn't do justice. It is beaten,hard. I imagine ,at 3600 RPM,when that came loose,someone made a mess in their drawers.

After adjusting the points and adding gas,she fired right up with minimal smoke,actually surprised me for as long as it's sat. Long story short,it's obviously no longer a "parts tractor".:trink40:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeah,hear is a pic. of the hitch. Plus I got a pair of 50# FMC wheel weights.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
After adjusting the points and adding gas,she fired right up with minimal smoke,actually surprised me for as long as it's sat. Long story short,it's obviously no longer a "parts tractor".
Congratulations! It was a bit of a risk and glad it turned out well. You have two nice machines.

After seeing the pics of the damage, I will certainly pin the shafts when I use them. I have been depending on the close-fit of the tiller to keep the shafts on.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Does it still have the lock for the 3pt? Should have a rob that comes out from the seat pan so that you can lock the 3pt in the upright position.. if that piece is still installed. I'm not 100% sure how it works, I know grandpa's tractor has one. Just not sure how it works.

Looks like a good find. Hope you post more pictures.

Nick

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does it still have the lock for the 3pt? Should have a rob that comes out from the seat pan so that you can lock the 3pt in the upright position.. if that piece is still installed. I'm not 100% sure how it works, I know grandpa's tractor has one. Just not sure how it works.

Looks like a good find. Hope you post more pictures.

Nick
Yeah it has the lock,was missing the rod though. I made one,works good now. I have to straighten alot of brackets/bars/linkage on the new one,that drive shaft reeked havoc. Even broke both ends of the rod that connects the pedal to the rear,which are cast.
Anybody know where I can find a fan for the drive shaft? Is the fan even needed?

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Yes the fan is a must have.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts