My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am pretty new to the forum and have been looking at compact tractors for about half of a year now. My wife and I purchased a house with 6 acres in August 2009. We don't have to mow the entire property but we do because we don't want tall standing grass as it can be a fire hazard. Along with that, uncut tall grass looks crappy in my opinion. We also get a decent amount of snow in the winter. When we purchased the house we were able to get a John Deere X534 lawn tractor in the deal and I purchased a snow blade for it. We are able to do everything with that machine but it takes a lot of time. 6-7 hours to mow and 2 hours every time it snows to clear the driveway.

Since we moved in I have wanted to buy a tractor. Growing up on a row-crop farm I wanted to buy a 4440 John Deere with a front blade and a mower. I would be done moving snow in about 10 minutes and less than one hour to mow. That machine is old and very big.

I started looking at compact tractors which really grew on me. The only thing that angers me is they are about the same price as a 4440 which is super lame. Regardless I have been looking at the 4000 series and the 3000 series tractors.

I don't have a good feel for what I really "need", in all honestly I can get by with nothing else, I would just cut time out of the work.

At first I was really keen on the 990 or 4005, but then found out you can't get a hydro tranny which seems nice. The 17K-20K price tag seems a bit much. Then I started looking at the 4105 and higher models and they are newer at $18K +. I think having a 20K machine is kind of a waste. Then I looked at the 790 but then found out they have a front axle issue and started looking at the 3005. Then with the 3005 you are back up to the 15K+ range. Lastly I found the 3038E and the 3032E. They similar but lower end units but they are new.

My question, what model do you think best fits my scenarios? In a dream world I would have two machines. The smaller unit for landscaping and small tasks and a 4440 or 4030 so I am able to clear snow the .5 miles to the highway down the county road. Instead of waiting for the maintainer.
Realistically I want one machine that will used for everything.

Requirements:
4x4
front end loader
must be John Deere (I know other brands are good, But if I need to sell it chances are I will get all of my money back)

Tasks I want to do:
Mow 6 Acres
Move Snow
Attach an rear mounted auger
Possibly erect a pole shed (will need the attachment to put up the roof trusses.)
Landscaping tasks around my acreage.

Thank you in advance for reading my super long post.

·
Member 800 post club !!
953 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Ben. Wish I knew more to help you, but I am sure the JD guys will pile up the advice real soon. Pictures of your place would be nice, we love pictures of anything here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bing.com has a great picture of my place in the birds eye view of the property. I just don't think it is wise to post my address on here.

On a side note, I am leaning towards the 3032E or 3038E because I think If I find one used, I can get one for around 15K with a front end loader. They are a little smaller than I want but I could use it in my yard for landscaping and it would mow and move snow with ease. With it being smaller I would expect it would take more time to do these tasks as well.

I did call the local dealer for new pricing with a front end loader.
3032E $15800
3038E $17200

However if I was going to buy a new 3038E I would opt for a used 4000 series like the 4105.

I just want some opinions of these machines I am talking about. As much as I probably won't use this machine a 790 with a front loader would probably work fine. I am not that hot on a manual transmission, the hydro seems nice.

·
MTF spunky member :)
187 Posts
I would say 3038E based on your post. I know you said JD but some Bobcat dealers will sell a CT122 with a FEL for under 12k new.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Save $15000+ plant native grasses and save a ton of time! As far as snow I do enjoy the seat time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Save $15000+ plant native grasses and save a ton of time! As far as snow I do enjoy the seat time.
I like the part about saving money, but ain't crazy on letting native grasses grow. I think it makes your property look unmaintained. Thank you for your input.

·
Member 800 post club !!
953 Posts
What would native grasses be? And how high will they grow? Will they grow in the shade?

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
With 6 acres, I think you are on the verge of going too big with a tractor. I have 11.5 acres, mow 6-7 of it and my 2520 with 72" deck fits the bill perfect. Will also be pushing snow with it this winter.

·
Registered
200 Posts
What would native grasses be? And how high will they grow? Will they grow in the shade?
I have a few different ones planted some tall some short. I also have a wildflower mix planted with them. They seem to grow good along the creek where they are in some shade. I just don't understand the poeple that buy more than 3 acres and then want to mow it all. I have 8.5 acres, 4 in a buffer program at $180 an acre, 2.5 ares in trees (wind break) with a clover mix, a very large garden about 2 acres, and the rest around the shed I mow. I think it looks better than any mowed grass and it supports the wild life in the area.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a few different ones planted some tall some short. I also have a wildflower mix planted with them. They seem to grow good along the creek where they are in some shade. I just don't understand the poeple that buy more than 3 acres and then want to mow it all. I have 8.5 acres, 4 in a buffer program at $180 an acre, 2.5 ares in trees (wind break) with a clover mix, a very large garden about 2 acres, and the rest around the shed I mow. I think it looks better than any mowed grass and it supports the wild life in the area.
I would have rather had two acres but around Omaha where I live you don't have a lot of options. Our house was built in 2000 and we wanted something newer on an acreage without having to build from scratch. Not to mention, try finding 2 acres without knowing someone in Omaha. If you are within 10-15 miles of Omaha you can't buy 2 acres. You have to find something existing or buy a quarter section or at least 20 acres. And at 10-20K per acre I couldn't afford to buy 20 acres. I just like to live in the country, that is where I grew up, I couldn't care less about wildlife. I want the room to build a large outbuilding/shop, be able to shoot guns and ride ATVs; Most importantly be left alone and have a private life without living on top of our neighbors like so many subdivisions these days. For the time being I will probably make due with the mower (X534) I have and get a 790, 3005 or a 3032E or 3038E. I consider these tractors to be small and I am all about buying things once. As long as I live in this house I will have that tractor, hopefully until I die.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With 6 acres, I think you are on the verge of going too big with a tractor. I have 11.5 acres, mow 6-7 of it and my 2520 with 72" deck fits the bill perfect. Will also be pushing snow with it this winter.
Thanks for the insight, I was thinking the 3000 series is just too small. Honestly I would rather go a little bigger so the 3000 series is probably what I will do. Thank you for the reply.

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Thanks for the insight, I was thinking the 3000 series is just too small. Honestly I would rather go a little bigger so the 3000 series is probably what I will do. Thank you for the reply.
Hey, no problem at all. We're here to help and just wanted to be sure you look at all your options. I too considered the 3000 series, but when I was at the dealer looking, I just could not convince myself that I needed that over the 2520 or the 2720. After reading all the info here on the forum, I decided the 2520 fit the bill. Now will I keep it until I die? Most likely, but I bet by then there is another one or two tractors sitting beside it!

·
9K+ Poster
12,161 Posts
Will you be blowing snow or plowing? If blowing, some of the combos you mention don't have mid-pto options so you would have to go with a 3PH blower. Nothing wrong with that, but my neck likes to look straight forward. Sounds like you have a nice property! :)

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
I think you will be fine with whatever you decide. I bought 11.5 acres with the homestead 4 years ago. 3 acres of lawn (why?, it looks nice, but we certainly don't use it) and 4 acres of meadow, the rest is woods. I simply don't have time to mow it all, so my brush hog sits unused, and at 4' wide it takes a long time to do the 4 acres and the edges along the woods. So, I could've saved myself some $$$, which I am all about too, and pay someone to cut it once a year, or find a farmer who wants it for hay, etc., and just stick to mowing the lawn once a week. But if you like it all mowed, well, thats another story. Good Luck, just some food for thought and :Welcome1:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will you be blowing snow or plowing? If blowing, some of the combos you mention don't have mid-pto options so you would have to go with a 3PH blower. Nothing wrong with that, but my neck likes to look straight forward. Sounds like you have a nice property! :)
I will be pushing or piling snow with the front bucket. I don't want to do a snowblower, it would be nice but too pricey.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Personally I think you overlooked or may have the wrong impression of the 790, its a great tractor and I have owned mine for several years without a wisper of trouble. I mow approx 2 acres weekly in just over an hour, use it to push snow, move stumps/logs and everything else.. If you check a little deeper I think you will find that they are a great tractor will lots of power and can be bought at a resonable price.. However, they are not a dozer and if the previous owner used it primarily as a loader then I would suspect it may have issues.

Loader work takes a serious tractor and not many, including larger tractors can stand up to the abuse..

Best Regards

Art

·
9K+ Poster
12,161 Posts
Personally I think you overlooked or may have the wrong impression of the 790, its a great tractor and I have owned mine for several years without a wisper of trouble. I mow approx 2 acres weekly in just over an hour, use it to push snow, move stumps/logs and everything else.. If you check a little deeper I think you will find that they are a great tractor will lots of power and can be bought at a resonable price.. However, they are not a dozer and if the previous owner used it primarily as a loader then I would suspect it may have issues.

Loader work takes a serious tractor and not many, including larger tractors can stand up to the abuse..

Best Regards

Art
You know, rereading your first post, this is the first I've heard of a front axle issue. The 790 is really a tried and true machine developed from the 750 and then 770 with few design changes. To me the only issue would be gear vs. hydro and what you want. :)

·
9K+ Poster
12,161 Posts
I will be pushing or piling snow with the front bucket. I don't want to do a snowblower, it would be nice but too pricey.
A loader for snow removal isn't as productive as you might think. Some posters here use them alone or in conjunction with a rear blade and are happy, but IMHO a blower or front plow is more productive. :)

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts

Yeah, that sounds correct to me. Heck, if you go on the JD website, they recommend an X700 series as adequate for mowing up to 7 acres. A 2000 series with a larger 72" MMM deck ought to handle 7 acres with ease. Especially if the O.P. is cost-conscious, it would seem like the larger 3000- and 4000- series units are more than he needs.

But, that said, moving up to a 3000-series does get some even larger mower options and the auto-connect feature. I could easily see a 3000 series as a "lifer".

... If you are within 10-15 miles of Omaha you can't buy 2 acres. You have to find something existing or buy a quarter section or at least 20 acres. And at 10-20K per acre I couldn't afford to buy 20 acres. ....
You get a lot of land for your money out there.

It's interesting reading about land values in different parts of the country. In my vicinity, a build-able lot goes for about $700K. That would be anywhere from 5000-10000 square feet of land (roughly 1/8 to 1/4 of an acre). Of course, there would be an old house on that lot that you'd have to tear down first before building. What I'd give for an acre!

I am curious why someone can't buy 2 acres within 10-15 miles of Omaha? Is it because, there are no lots that big, or ????

Good luck with your tractor choice. That JD 3000 series is a nice way to go.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
A loader for snow removal isn't as productive as you might think. Some posters here use them alone or in conjunction with a rear blade and are happy, but IMHO a blower or front plow is more productive. :)
:ditto: I have a relatively short driveway for being in the country, but it would take me 1-2 hours to clear my driveway with the FEL and rear blade... Plus if you're driveway is paved, you have to be extra careful not avoid scratching the surface. If I didn't already have a plow for my Trailblazer, I would've purchased a snow blower.

I've used the FEL and plow to move back my snow piles, though... It was very handy for that! I also use my tractor to plow the small-radius turn-about in my neighbor's driveway, because my Trailblazer barely can make the turn.. the tractor does well.

I'd give your FEL and blade a try (once you get them), but be prepared: you may find yourself wanting a snow blower! BTW: buying implements is an addiction!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts