My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Thought that sounded familar, way back in the day I remember raceing an old dirt car at West Liberty. My parents live in Fairfield, gotta get up there this summer for a visit. Not a bad idea to make darn sure it's fixed but I'll bet it is. I specialize in automatic trannys, 40 yrs this year, of working on them and I've owned my own shop since 92. Every mechanic makes mistakes, period, we're human, but a good mechanic always double checks his own work to make sure everything is right before closeing out the job. To me this was sloppy workmanship compounded by trying to patch it instead of fixing it right. Glad everything turned out good, look at the bright side, you know better than to have any work done at that one place ever again.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
this reminds me of a guy i used to work with. i pointed out something he did wrong, and it was obvious to the other guys also. and this wasnt the first thing that i or the crew noticed.
his statement to me was...
" ive been a carpenter for 17 years " and my comment back " thats a long time to keep screwing things up ".

sometimes quality is hard to find.

I am SO using this quote!!! I deal with a lot of shops (as an auto appraiser) that don't realize that I not only went to Voc school for this trade, but put in 11 years working on their side before jumping the fence and probably am certified in my fields than they even know about, yet they still try to BS stuff and tell me how long they have been fixing cars. I just can't wait to hit them with that come back! :trink40:

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
this reminds me of a guy i used to work with. i pointed out something he did wrong, and it was obvious to the other guys also. and this wasnt the first thing that i or the crew noticed.
his statement to me was...
" ive been a carpenter for 17 years " and my comment back " thats a long time to keep screwing things up ".

sometimes quality is hard to find.

I am SO using this quote!!! I deal with a lot of shops (as an auto appraiser) that don't realize that I not only went to Voc school for this trade, but put in 11 years working on their side before jumping the fence and probably am certified in my fields than they even know about, yet they still try to BS stuff and tell me how long they have been fixing cars. I just can't wait to hit them with that come back! :trink40:

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
thought that sounded familar, way back in the day i remember raceing an old dirt car at west liberty. My parents live in fairfield, gotta get up there this summer for a visit. Not a bad idea to make darn sure it's fixed but i'll bet it is. I specialize in automatic trannys, 40 yrs this year, of working on them and i've owned my own shop since 92. Every mechanic makes mistakes, period, we're human, but a good mechanic always double checks his own work to make sure everything is right before closeing out the job. To me this was sloppy workmanship compounded by trying to patch it instead of fixing it right. Glad everything turned out good, look at the bright side, you know better than to have any work done at that one place ever again.
amen !

·
Registered
938 Posts
I say just pay the bill and move on. Things change at dealerships. The good tech retires and they hire someone else to replace him who isn't as sharp.
Most shops only stand behind their work as far as bringing it back to them. It would be a waste of time IMO to attempt to get the first dealer to pay the bill.
I also used to be in the garage business. My comebacks were few but we all have them. I would never pay a bill at another garage unless I aware of and involved in why it had to go there. I've had a customers try that and for one thing, a majority of mechanics will badmouth the last shop to make their self look smart. Also most good shops don't want their name on any part that some other person might have compromised so they will often include replacing parts you just had replaced in the repair. It's never a good situation and unless it involved provable gross incompetence or outright dishonesty, just move on. Although I would let the first dealership know what's going on and that they had lost your business so they can deal with the incompetent person.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I say just pay the bill and move on. Things change at dealerships. The good tech retires and they hire someone else to replace him who isn't as sharp.
Most shops only stand behind their work as far as bringing it back to them. It would be a waste of time IMO to attempt to get the first dealer to pay the bill.
I also used to be in the garage business. My comebacks were few but we all have them. I would never pay a bill at another garage if I aware of and involved in why it had to go there. I've had a customers try that and for one thing, a majority of mechanics will badmouth the last shop to make their self look smart. Also most good shops don't want their name on any part that some other person might have compromised so they will often include replacing parts you just had replaced in the repair. It's never a good situation and unless it involved provable gross incompetence or outright dishonesty, just move on. Although I would let the first dealership know what's going on and that they had lost your business so they can deal with the incompetent person.
Excellent point. :fing32:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I also used to be in the garage business. My comebacks were few but we all have them. I would never pay a bill at another garage unless I aware of and involved in why it had to go there. I've had a customers try that and for one thing, a majority of mechanics will badmouth the last shop to make their self look smart. Also most good shops don't want their name on any part that some other person might have compromised so they will often include replacing parts you just had replaced in the repair. It's never a good situation and unless it involved provable gross incompetence or outright dishonesty, just move on. Although I would let the first dealership know what's going on and that they had lost your business so they can deal with the incompetent person.
Sounds like gross incompetence to me. You would think the three times they failed to do it correctly would be the proof.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
938 Posts
Incompetence for sure but having been a garage owner and also having sat in trial as an expert witness on a case where the garage was alleged to have done incompetent work (they did but the vehicle owner still lost), I can say that proving it is not as easy as just saying they had 3 chances. Also I think you would have had to contact them, document the contact, and tell them your exact intentions BEFORE you took it to a different garage. And have recorded the fluid loss, taken pictures ect. You see where this is going, that's why I'd still say just move on, it's more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The place I had it fixed at would NOT out right say it was the other shops fault...That said ...he said it appeared to have not been done right , His mechanic was cussin up a storm while working on mine and when the shop manager went over to see what the cussin was about . The new gasket had pushed out on him and he took it back apart and fixed it right. So they must be a PITA . Glad I let them do it

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thought that sounded familar, way back in the day I remember raceing an old dirt car at West Liberty. My parents live in Fairfield, gotta get up there this summer for a visit. Not a bad idea to make darn sure it's fixed but I'll bet it is. I specialize in automatic trannys, 40 yrs this year, of working on them and I've owned my own shop since 92. Every mechanic makes mistakes, period, we're human, but a good mechanic always double checks his own work to make sure everything is right before closeing out the job. To me this was sloppy workmanship compounded by trying to patch it instead of fixing it right. Glad everything turned out good, look at the bright side, you know better than to have any work done at that one place ever again.
Butch, I can see that Race track from my yard , Its in town and Im just out side of town on 6 acres. The only thing between me and the track is a creek and a 20 acre field. Yep it gets a little loud on Saturday nites..:greendr:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Just a little update: I put it through the paces this weekend. 2 weeks without mowing and about 6" of rain over that period left me with about 8" of very tough mowing. Have put 6 hard hours on it with mowing and Sweeping and hasn`t leaked a drop! Im a Happy camper now.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Glad to hear you got it running right. Just eat it and move on. Life's too short to waste extra time on morons. Lesson learned. I bet I know who will work on it next time.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I'm glad you got that cleared up heres to many trouble free years.:trink39:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts