My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 445 John Deere about 4 years ago, Not sure . It had 710 hours on it when I got it , it has 900 on it now,and had always been serviced by the dealer I got it from. (I know the person that owned it before me). 2 hours after I got it home the water pump went out, I had them come get it and install a new pump,Steel cam gear new tappets ,oil gear and anything else in there that needed to be done while they were in there,I paid for parts they did the labor since I had just bought it , Fair enough. 2 weeks later it was leaking water again. All the bolts in the front cover were loose . I had them come get it again. They didn't charge me anything and 2 weeks later I was happy . 2 weeks later here comes the water again, bolts loose, appeared to be gaskets etc. Had them come get it again. Don't know what they did but it quit leaking . This has always seemed to "use " a little water every other time I mow ,which is about 2.75 acres.I can smell it , But could never find a leak or a puddle underneath it. Well now its leaking alot. Possibly the water pump again, cant pinpoint it but water running down the left side of the block, (as you are sitting on it). I could see where it came out of the water pump the first time it went bad, My questions are.. Shouldnt a water pump last more than 2 years? I dont want to take it to the same dealer again as I live close to another dealer that treats me good, and Have heard of alot of things having to be taken back to The first dealer.I could do this work myself , but with the aluminum cases and the trouble the 1st dealer had (and what they did to get it to stop leaking) Has me worried. What would you do ?
I love this tractor and want to get it fixed right.
Sorry this is so long.

Jeff

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
You are going to have to bite the bullet one way or the other, Jeff.

Someone, you or a dealer, needs to do some exploratory surgery to find the leak. Sounds like it may have been a warpage issue?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes Im gonna pay big time for this and thats exactly what I think The front cover has been bent , warped or something, Other than the water issue this thing runs great and uses no oil.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Take it to a dealer that has mechanics that know what they're doing. I've got a 445 JD, 1296 hrs on the original water pump. A guy I know took his JD zero turn to the local dealer, after $900 and it still didn't run right he gave up and sold it, the carb mounting bolts were loose. Tightened those up and it runs fine now! Any dealer or repair shop is only as good as the mechanics that work there, sounds like that one dealer has a bunch of grease monkeys instead of mechanics. Had the same thing happen on a new motorcycle I bought, after taking it to the selling dealer five times to get a rearend oil leak fixed, I took it to a dealer that I know and trust(in another state), he fixed it the first time, ten years later it's still fixed.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer I bought it from had a great reputation for over 30 years but recently I and a brother as well as others have had problems with them. The local dealer here is a branch of a Well known dealer in Kalona Iowa that My parents bought their Deeres from and think the world of.Thats what Im hoping for is to get many more years out of this tractor. I will take it in and have them go through it with what I know and what has been done and try to start putting in some overtime. I think im gonna need it ..LOL

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like maybe a new front cover is in order, But I will see what they say.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
As butchs hobby said a dealer is only as good as thier mechanics. I would be going somewhere else. slkpk

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Take it to the dealer you mentioned that your parents have had good luck with. A 445 JD is a good heavy duty machine and should give you years of service. I've got family in Iowa, that's where I took my bike to get it fixed right! I see and hear stories like this every day, I own an auto repair shop, and some of the patch cobbling I see called repair work is scary. My shop has a waiting list to get your car in, I don't advertise, my customers do it for me. I've always felt that if I do a good job at a fair price I'd always have work, after 26 yrs in the business, I can tell you for a fact I was right.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They will get a call on monday. Ill keep you updated on what is the problem with it, Now anybody want to help me mount the 72" Deck on my 855?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok , They Came and picked it up this morning (local JD dealer) By 10:15 they called to let me know they had found out that the front engine cover gasket was at fault, Imagine this. It had been poorly installed. They asked me if my tractor had a cam gear failure, Because of the new steel cam gear, I told them I had it replaced when the water pump went out. They said it was a good time to do it, too bad they didnt put the gasket in right, Oh Well ,The cost of another gasket and much labor and I will have my tractor back. I think it is in good hands, It should be done tomarrow . If I had done the work myself with my limited time it may have been two weeks.

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
its hard to believe they installed the gasket wrong that many times, but I guess its possible. I would think the second time around, the mechanic would of taken some extra time to do it correctly.

did the new place check the cover for warpage?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I mentioned my thoughts to them and they are checking it . I guess the gasket was pretty obvious.

·
ordinary average guy
1,521 Posts
this reminds me of a guy i used to work with. i pointed out something he did wrong, and it was obvious to the other guys also. and this wasnt the first thing that i or the crew noticed.
his statement to me was...
" ive been a carpenter for 17 years " and my comment back " thats a long time to keep screwing things up ".

sometimes quality is hard to find.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
with reciepts showing the numerous trips to the orig dealer would this 2nd place be able to warranty their work? (saving you $$) maybe thru Deere themselves? I know that car dealers are like this; you can go back to ANY dealer of the brand for warranty work. and maybe that screwup dealer will have something to pay to the Maker (I mean the Deere company) once they find out how poorly ther represent the brand.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
It's a shame. My take on this is, keep the machine as simple as possible if you don't have the ability to work on it yourself. ie; aircooled engines, etc.

Joel

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
with reciepts showing the numerous trips to the orig dealer would this 2nd place be able to warranty their work? (saving you $$) maybe thru Deere themselves? I know that car dealers are like this; you can go back to ANY dealer of the brand for warranty work. and maybe that screwup dealer will have something to pay to the Maker (I mean the Deere company) once they find out how poorly ther represent the brand.
Sounds like a plan to me !

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
this reminds me of a guy i used to work with. i pointed out something he did wrong, and it was obvious to the other guys also. and this wasnt the first thing that i or the crew noticed.
his statement to me was...
" ive been a carpenter for 17 years " and my comment back " thats a long time to keep screwing things up ".

sometimes quality is hard to find.
LOL Oh thats priceless do you mind if I use it ? :sidelaugh

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Official cause was gasket "pushed out" I Haven'T talked to them but when the wife got home it was sittin in the garage. She called them and said she would be in to pay them in the morning, as I will be at work and just now got home from work (get the picture?) Told you I was gonna get some overtime LOL I'm not gonna bother with the other dealer . They lost my business and that's that. I own this 445 and an 855 and I'm really happy with the way this local dealer has treated me. Reason this dealer is new to me is we moved here 6 years ago and until about 6 months ago I had dealt with where I bought the 445.. All appears well with it and It will get a good work out this week end.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Great bunch of Knowledge here.

(and comedians)

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
It's always nice to see a happy ending. slkpk

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I'm not sure JD would get involved if this was not warranty work--BUT that first dealer should gladly pay for the real repair it took to correct the problem. If not, you've always got small claims court, you have a legitimate complaint, which is why I say the first dealer should gladly pay the bill. Keep all your reciepts, make copies to give the first dealer when you go talk to him. IF it had been one of my mechanics that did the original work and the unit had been back in repeatedly and not fixed, he'd be looking for a new job while I fixed it myself or in your case pay for the repair. While I'm mainly an ole MF lover, have four, I do have the one 445 JD and I like it, use it mainly for mowing, 60" mmm. Still takes awhile to do three acres but faster than my 48" on the MF. I've got to get brave enough to check the serial no. on my JD about the plastic cam gear, the meter shows 1296 hrs. For some reason Kalona sounds familar, I grew up in the se corner of Iowa.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Butch, Kalona is a Amish, Mennonite community south of Iowa City,The Dealer there is Farmers Supply Sales. This is the one My Folks (Well Mom Now) Uses, I Live in West Liberty and There is a Branch of Kalona's Dealership Here , Good People ! I Love my 445 and also have a 60"mmm . I always got along well with the Shop In Iowa City and it Might be worthwhile to chat with the Owner there and let him know (if he doesn't already) Of the sloppy work I had done there. I have all the receipts. From all work I have had done there and he knew I had it back there many times. I will give this a good work out and see if it is fixed for good before I do anything .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts