My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I broke this last week and figured I'd better get on it so I can cut the lawn. I tried to look at the parts list for my mower(425015x92) but the murray site says it cannot find it. I thought it was a called a mandrel holder as the pictures I find on the net call it, but one guy told me it's a jack shaft? Another said it's a pulley cap? Would I need to find this whole assem. or just the piece I broke? Any good internet stores with good prices anyone can name?

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
You need a Spindle Assembly. Some refer to it as a Quill Assembly. That one looks to be pretty well shot.

Jack'sSmallEngine.com is one I've found reasonable prices. There are probably some on Ebay, too. I bought a pair recently for $45 with the shipping.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
You need quill assembly #1001200ma. That will not include the parts to the far left, which is the jackshaft and belt pulley. Jacks or Willards small engines are good sources for Murray parts.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
That quill didn't break like that in use did it? Scary if it did. I'm assuming there was a hammer involved lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Thanks for the part # BushBone. Yes, it happened in use, sounded awful. I already had my hand on the lever at the time. Discovered there was a block mostly buried in my backyard. My old mower never touched it. Recently conducted a sweep of the yard for anymore of these.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
The jackshaft should be ok as long as it was not thrown out of true by the impact. The part itself is about $10.00 but can be a bear to get the pulley off of it.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
The jackshaft should be ok as long as it was not thrown out of true by the impact. The part itself is about $10.00 but can be a bear to get the pulley off of it.
As bad as that one hit, I'd just buy a whole assembly, and be done with it.

But the nice thing about Murray is the fact you can replace just the needed worn parts. The other companies are making a killing off their assemblies. JD sells for about $45 - $65 depending on model. Husqvarna, and Craftsman( the same) and the MTD's are only assemblies, not just parts.

I just put new bearings in one of the Green Machine's spindle housings today. Total cost for 2 new bearings and a package of grease zerts, $12.54......the grease zerts cost more than one of the bearings. Both bearings together were less than $9, so when you can replace just the parts, it is worth it to do it.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
As bad as that one hit, I'd just buy a whole assembly, and be done with it.
Yeah, that was a violent hit. Good news though, I just rechecked the part and the jackshaft is included with the new mandrel. $25 at this supplier, though I've never used them.

http://tewarehouse.com/7-04236

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts

Attachments

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
Husqvarna, and Craftsman( the same) and the MTD's are only assemblies, not just parts.
Actually for the Craftsman, and I think Husky, you can get the individual parts. 9 times out 0r 10 though when you go to pull the assembly to replace just the bearings, one of the bolts usually breaks and you have to replace the housing also. I think they designed it like that on purpose. There have been a few times I have had to order the assemblies by the dozen on my weekly order because they are just built too light, or the owner uses the mower to cut 5 foot tall saplings...err weeds....and the price Sears wants for them (and they just went up) makes me want to :eck16:

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Actually for the Craftsman, and I think Husky, you can get the individual parts. 9 times out 0r 10 though when you go to pull the assembly to replace just the bearings, one of the bolts usually breaks and you have to replace the housing also. I think they designed it like that on purpose. There have been a few times I have had to order the assemblies by the dozen on my weekly order because they are just built too light, or the owner uses the mower to cut 5 foot tall saplings...err weeds....and the price Sears wants for them (and they just went up) makes me want to :eck16:
You probably right. Now that you mention the broken bolts, that is probably why I never tried to order individual parts. I heat the bolts heads now with a propane torch with better than average results. But yea, I think I did find the individual parts for Craftsman, now that I think about it. I got a pair for a customer for $40 included shipping from some outfit during the winter. How much have they gone up to now?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, that was a violent hit. Good news though, I just rechecked the part and the jackshaft is included with the new mandrel. $25 at this supplier, though I've never used them.

http://tewarehouse.com/7-04236

I've used tewarehouse before, and was very impressed with them. They usually have the best prices on the parts I want.

You guys are going to hate me..., I went to Tractor Supply a little while back to get replacement bearings for one of my spindles and they had the whole assembly (Arnold brand after market) on clearance for $6.99, but they only had one -- it worked great.

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
You probably right. Now that you mention the broken bolts, that is probably why I never tried to order individual parts. I heat the bolts heads now with a propane torch with better than average results. But yea, I think I did find the individual parts for Craftsman, now that I think about it. I got a pair for a customer for $40 included shipping from some outfit during the winter. How much have they gone up to now?
Sears wants $62 for the complete assembly, at least the 36"38" deck ones. I get them aftermarket but made by the same OEM for $** and sell for $40 for 1 or $70 for 2 and still make good money on them. $40-$**=:thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
If their tractor part prices are as overpriced as their appliance parts I can only imagine how much people are over spending. I saved nearly $75.00 on a stove knob and thermostat by using an online appliance part supplier as opposed to Sears. And yes, parts were identical.

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
When you go to buy your new quill/mandrel, make sure you are getting the newer type which has grease fittings.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts