My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ym186 has rims that can be reversed for different spacing. There are two bolt each one has a spring between the bolt and the rim. I guess for proper pressure - don't know why?

Then there is two holes in the rim and axle shaft that have a pin that goes through them. As I bought the tractor it only had one pin in each side.

I've added water to the tires and have been using diff lock to break up soil. THe left side pin snapped and fell out. So I out a grade 8 bolt and tightened down the two bolts on the hub. Short slow drive around the house netted the right side rim had snapped the pin.

I tend to think this is a saftey measure to prevent damage to the axle. Or at some point in the past the two correct pins were replaced with cheap pot metal.

????
Let me know before something gets broke.

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
I have a YM1300D and YM1401D that utilize the same spring/pin hubs. They act as detents that allow you to slide the wheel assembly in and out once you loosen the pins. My pins are actually bolts threaded through spring and to the hub, are softer than grade 8 and do nothing more then keep the wheel concentric to the hexagonal axle shafts.

I've never heard or read any reports of the pins breaking until now. Is it possible your hubs are loose from excessive wear? Do your axles or hub I.D. indicate burrs or look rounded off?

Mark

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would think turning with the diff lock to break soil up is the main problem. Kind of like not keeping your truck in 4x4 on pavement. Turning puts a ton of stress on any component in the drive line when the diff is locked. It's possible you can break the diff gears by doing this.

I would suggest you stop using your tires as a plow and either buy, borrow or rent a disk and use your tractor as it was designed to pull an implement, not be one.

I apologise in advance if that sounds rude, I just know that locked diffs are h#!! on the drive line from years of 4x4 experience.

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Commrad.. I think he meant he is using his diff lock for better traction for pulling something to break up the ground.. I'm with Mark in thinking something is loose and or worn out and that is causing the bolt to break. I do think i would find out the grade of the original bolt and return to that grade hard wear to avoid damaging the more expensive parts with a harder bolt.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can't really turn with the diff lock on. The little front tires just don't have traction to override the diff lock.

The pin that broke was a pot metal type casting. I would like to find out the correct grade but nit sure if it matter. The pins appear to just limit inward outward sliding and have little to do with limiting rotation. But that's my guess. The two bolts are the ones that limit axle hub slippage. Even with the missing pin the tractor can still be driven without the hex hub slipping onthe hex shaft.

My tractor was set up in the max width position using only one of the pins. I'd gather than two pins would be stronger but not sure what is required.??

I've got just a few more hours of box scraping and will be renting a Harley rake skid steer to finish the soil. Then my lille tractor will be primarly a bushhog and mower.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I apologise I completely misunderstood what he was saying.

the only thing I can think of that would break the pins under normal use would be that the hub fits to loosely on the axle and as it rotates it's basicly like bending a clothes hanger back and forth until it breaks. or it could be that some one just put cast aluminium or some other junk pins in it.

I know on mine one of the hubs is a little large and the wheel will kinda flop just a little some times even with the bolts tight but the pin hasn't broken.

again I apologise :trink40:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Refer to 80-10-3 of the YM186 Service Manual. "Always tighten the R.H. set bolt first". The sliding hub is designed as non-hexagonal ". Look at the illustration and note the orientation of the spring bolts to the pin. Wheel will come loose if you don't do it as shown.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts