My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I think in the 90s Toro had a "500 Special" with metal flake paint and special decals.
I have owned 2 79 Mustang Indy Pace cars,, both V8 models. I later got parts off of a 3rd lightly rolled 79 Pace car. I remember the VIN# and after it was gone figured out it was one of about 75 or so "500 Festival" cars. It got crushed. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you know if we all had cars and mowers from when we were kids or young men just think of the value now
and the 1955 chevy I had back in 1962 that I payed big money to have rolled and pleated with a super black paint job and replaced the 235 with a hot running 327 OOOO they were the days and sold it around 1968 for 900.00

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boyd did you notice whats on the front of the car and the guys cap its one of carriers cheaper AC,s back then one coulod buy the complete unit for $300.00 and now $1900.00

·
16,675 Posts
I just read something the other day about the "500 special's" the other day...seems like RECO sales--a local Wheelhorse distributor, back in the
1960's had some sort of working relationship w/ the Indianapolis track--and they sponsored a small race each year. Then, for a long time--they were allowed to tow the race cars from the garages to the racing pits..

Wheelhorse, supposidely -isseued this special one-time tractor in 1968 to celebrate. Remember--Wheelhorse's were made in South Bend--not too far away....
I think I've heard Bill P. say only about a couple thousand were made and sold only in a few northern states.
Matter of fact--Last year @ the Wheelhorse show--it was the featured tractor!!

Bill Pearson (BPJunk here) is the guy that knows this stuff inside/out...:fing32:

Where did you did up that old photo--Jerry??

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Glenn they used all types of wheel horses the 1054 854 754
and look at the price sheet for the 754s
I won these and more last year at the show they only cost me about $200.00 what the heck it went for a good cause
and if you come to the show this year you will see four thats right four of the 754s in one spot

·
16,675 Posts
Jerry--Look At the Letter head on the invoice--
R-E-C-O!!

We are on the same page--I didn't know you had that old paper work, though..
Boy--you'll put me to shame...:hatsoff: :hatsoff:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
all one has to do is ask yep thats what ED Coles said four years ago after I ask him to ID my frist 754 I didnt know what it was But do now

·
Registered
169 Posts
all one has to do is ask yep thats what ED Coles said four years ago after I ask him to ID my frist 754 I didnt know what it was But do now

That is too awesome!! Love the photos!
I can just imagine the sound of all those horses rumbling down the track!

·
from South Jersey
601 Posts
That is too awesome!! Love the photos!
I can just imagine the sound of all those horses rumbling down the track!
You haven't heard anything until you hear the 'Horses cruising at the Wheel Horse Show on Friday night after the ice cream social. :woohoo1:

·
16,675 Posts
Buzz is working the crowd....Trying to get folks rallied up...

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And he can do that very well
just keep a eye on the lug nuts when cruising
after all his real name is lugnutBuzz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts