My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Deceased, April 2015
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came in after mowing for 20 minutes or so with my 7268. The rectangular air filter cover snaps over the protruding lug on the plastic carb but the carb doesn't have the metal wire clip that snaps over the whole thing to keep it secure. I bet you know where I'm going, don't you?

So..I'm mowing along and looked down just in time to see the air filter cover disappear under the mower in one piece and reappear in 15 pieces.

I know LB made many of the plastic carbs with the wire clip but this carb didn't have one nor did it even have the small holes required to mount the clip. I should have known that cover wasn't going to stay put in my bumpy yard.

Before I yank that string again, I'm going to drill the holes myself and mount an extra clip I have..

Let this be a teachable moment for everyone that has a plastic F carb.

Cheers!

Charlie

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,767 Posts
:Stop:Well at least it wasnt your wallet.

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
My old r7268 had a hole drilled in the carb and had a clip in it, like the ones that hold the handle in place. It almost looked factory, but I think the PO had done this to avoid what happened to you.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I too came really close to doing this as well. I happened to catch it in time before it sucked it up! My lil sister ran over the pull starter later that day;) It came off the handle somehow. It was funny.

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
My old r7268 had a hole drilled in the carb and had a clip in it, like the ones that hold the handle in place. It almost looked factory, but I think the PO had done this to avoid what happened to you.
I think it was factory, I've seen lots of em like that.
Had to go to the 1980 parts list, but here it is :

Attachments

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
I think it was factory, I've seen lots of em like that.
Had to go to the 1980 parts list, but here it is :
You would know bald-guy, u were there cranking them out for us. I just looked at my 5247 and it has the clip as well. :trink40: Great info again, early models had the hole and later models had the other style retention device. Later production is definitely an approved upon idea, no way to lose the clip like the early model. OMC was always thinking. :thThumbsU

·
Deceased, April 2015
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holes drilled, replacement cover installed. Now I'm down one air filter cover. I had to steal one from my S21ZPN and it doesn't have the "Light Normal" printing embossed into it. Oh well, I think I can still figure out how to position the gov. flip lever.

Ya lives, ya learn.

The lessons best remembered are those that are hardest learned.

Charlie

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Mitch(odf) and i talked about this awhile back. We would up looking at the parts viewer and like ron said, one uses the metal clip that slips around the side and the other uses the pin that goes threw the cover...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts