My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 12 volt conversion, do you replace the regulator? I have a 12 volt conversion on my 8n and I was thinking of rewiring and noticed that the regulator was original and I read some where that you have to change out the reg.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The old 6v regulator is not used with a 12v alternator conversion... most new style alts, like the 10/12SI have an internal regulator. ocasionally you see an old 70's era alt like a delco 10DN that still uses an external reg.. but those are less common...

if you used a 12v generator. then you need the new regulator for that generator.

soundguy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The conversion was done before I bought the tractor and when replacing the starter this last week I noticed there are extra wires not connected at the alternator and also I was replacing the air filter I noticed a regulator which I believe is the original behind the dash. There are two wires connected to it but I'm going to see where they go today. The tractor runs great but I want to rewire it in case who ever had it , did it half ***. After I wrote this post I was reading about the alternators having a built in regulator so I might just look for a Delco 10SI or 12SI at the bone yard. I have everything else to do the wiring except never doing this before. :fing20: Which alternator is the best way to go?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
what makes you think the alt you have is bad?

it's likely hooked up as a 1-wire unit, needing hi-rpm to start charging.

I'll re-iterate what I said before.. the old 6v vreg is not needed in this setup.. some lazy person probably just left it on there as it was easier than removing it...

soundguy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah! Nothing wrong with the alternator. I followed all the non-connected wires which two of went to the regulator. I disconnected them started the 8N up. The two wires didn't do anything and removed them. No Problem. Found the wire from the alternator to the resistor spliced and taped up with wires hardly touching inside the wad of tape. Starts and runs better now. Plus she is charging now and didn't before I redid the wiring.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
you may be able to hook it up as a 3-wire alt if you want to.. but if it starts and works fine like it is.. might just leave it alone.

soundguy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts