My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got me an older Union-Carbide [Linde] HDA-200 with water cooled tig [40 foot] and Rack with wheels--70 foot stick leads--Miller water tank and pump---Bunch of steel---Boxs of Consumables--welding Helmet parts-- Can run it on 60AMP single phase--25 foot extension cord--And a Oxy. Tank [Big One] I can exchange for a Argon tank and just pay for Gas & Re-certification of $26--All for $450

Anyways the manual says to use Methanol mix distilled water for freezing protecting? Cause of the HF-- Was thinking there has to be something out there now that will work and not pay $ for Miller stuff they make? Alot of coolants now did not have back then,

I,ve been welding all my life but been Long time since did any tig but just thought I,d have one to do some welding for People around? Been talking and theres now place around here that does welding like this so we,ll see.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Howdy Durfman;
I am assuming this an automotive radiator styled machine?
Adding Methanol was an "old fashioned" anti-freeze to keep water from freezing and distilled water help to keep calcium buildups from forming in the motors cooling jackets and etc. Other products were used as well, including diesel fuel and used motor oil (in engines used on the north slope of Alaska).
If it does have an automotive style radiator, purchase some 50/50 blend anti-freeze similar to what you put in your car.
The distilled water won't cause the white calcium caking on the insides of the coolant passages and on the interior surface of the hoses. That calcium buildup will in time, act like an insulation blanket and reduce the heat transfer to the coolant. No one likes to "pay for water", but it's really the better way to go. The anti-freeze portion will of course keep the thing from freezing and it will also assist with the transfer of engine heat to the coolant.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,455 Posts
Windshield Washer fluid has methanol in it,so does "Dry-Gas" for engines without fuel injection.....not sure if it would be OK to use in that application though..

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Windshield Washer fluid has methanol in it,so does "Dry-Gas" for engines without fuel injection.....not sure if it would be OK to use in that application though..
Thats is what I thought--Seems like it be ok since same thing as mixing methanol with water-- Guy that had it ran water in it for years all worked ok he had heated shop I don,t and since manual says use methanol they should know what is best, Thanks

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Just remember, what worked the best years ago may not be the best solution today for that particular application.

·
Registered
182 Posts
This is for my newer inverter powered TIG. It’s an everlast power tig 250 ex with water cooled torch.

Everlast recommends RV plumbing antifreeze, if not using a dedicated water cooled tig fluid.

The manual specifically DOES NOT recommend automotive coolants.

Doesn’t say anything about methanol/water mix. Probably from the “legal department” side stepping the whole “methanol is flammable” liability.

If there’s one constant in this universe, it’s this: if there is a way for some jabloney to mess it up and catch it on fire, they’ll find a way to do it!

Lol!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Up-date,,,,,,,So far cooling been working find--I mixed washer fluid with soluble oil and water and all good now, Have to find the washer fluid with JUST methanol in it ti mix,,,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts