My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A business associate of mine asked if I was interested in his 2004 Gravely/Kohler Pro 12 hp with blower and finish mower. I'm told it's very clean and has been stored indoors. I think he said it has less than 200 hours on it. He said he is looking to get a "fair" price for it.

As an old LI guy, I'm certainly interested in this tractor but I have no clue as to what is "fair" for this vintage and condition of tractor. Can anyone offer their opinion as to what might constitute a fair price? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Sounds like a nice machine. I own several Pro's myself so I can honestly say $2000-$2500 would be a "fair" price, if not a little low.

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
I believe you'd be pushing the envelope of "Fair" to offer anything less than $2000 for that equipment. That machine is nearly brand new by Gravely standards and was probably the last manufacturing year for the walk-behinds. Figure that when brand new, the tractor alone was $5K - sans any wheel assemblies or attachments.

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
I would not offer anything until I looked at it personly. If it looks like it's discribed, $2000 would be a bargain.
But Ron - this guy lives very close to Mark, so an "exceptional circumstance" might apply to make a sight-unseen offer. :biglaugh:

Seriously though - linekin - if your associate doesn't have the equipment listed publicly, follow Don's advice and personally check it out. But don't wait too long - if others (particularly Gravely-holics) get wind of it, the seller might make a deal as you're on the sideline.

A few of us here have made sight-unseen Gravely transactions - some at great distances. Fortunately, for most of us, it usually works out well. But if you're able to visit and inspect pre-purchase, all the better! :goodl:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I did not mean to imply that I would be buying this equipment without a pre-purchase inspection. Rather, I was hoping to cobble together a "trading range" so I could gauge my level of interest. In other words, if "fair" was $4,000-$4500 I would have to bow out or face divorce. $3300-$3700 and I might only need to check into the dog house. This I can tolerate.

Thanks so much for the advise all have provided.

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Sorry, I did not mean to imply that I would be buying this equipment without a pre-purchase inspection. Rather, I was hoping to cobble together a "trading range" so I could gauge my level of interest. In other words, if "fair" was $4,000-$4500 I would have to bow out or face divorce. $3300-$3700 and I might only need to check into the dog house. This I can tolerate.

Thanks so much for the advise all have provided.

Well I can assure ya that the equipment is "worth" $4000-$4500 - there's little doubt about that, given the hours on the tractor and the probably condition of it/the attachments. It just depends on what your seller will let it go for - the market simply won't support a $4K plus sales price at this time.

And I meant to say follow Ron's advice in my previous post - but following Don's advice (FlaDon) can also be a wise thing to do. :fing32:

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
But Ron - this guy lives very close to Mark, so an "exceptional circumstance" might apply to make a sight-unseen offer. :biglaugh:

Seriously though - linekin - if your associate doesn't have the equipment listed publicly, follow Don's advice and personally check it out. But don't wait too long - if others (particularly Gravely-holics) get wind of it, the seller might make a deal as you're on the sideline.

A few of us here have made sight-unseen Gravely transactions - some at great distances. Fortunately, for most of us, it usually works out well. But if you're able to visit and inspect pre-purchase, all the better! :goodl:
I knew you'd throw your 2 cents in somewhere! I guess if he decides to pass on this machine, I wouldn't mind checking it out myself. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
I knew you'd throw your 2 cents in somewhere! I guess if he decides to pass on this machine, I wouldn't mind checking it out myself. ;)
Yeah - most days that's about all it's worth! :trink39:

Sounds like an awesome tractor - it would be great to grab up one of the last machines that came off the line. :fing32:

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Yeah - most days that's about all it's worth! :trink39:

Sounds like an awesome tractor - it would be great to grab up one of the last machines that came off the line. :fing32:
May already have that covered! I'll get the numbers off my Pro14 Robin and have Don run them. Judging by the stupid bubbly letters on the hood, I estimate the machine to be 2003-2004.

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
May already have that covered! I'll get the numbers off my Pro14 Robin and have Don run them. Judging by the stupid bubbly letters on the hood, I estimate the machine to be 2003-2004.
Have you had a chance to run that puppy enough to see how she compares power-wise to your Kohler and Briggs powered tractors?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Nah, not yet. Just got it several days ago and drove it right into the shed. Hopefully I can find a few moments this week to tinker with it and toss one of my 50" decks on it. I'll be sure to get some pictures and maybe some video!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts