My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Looking at a used 3184 for sale in my area, owner says it has 1270 hours and has replaced power steering hose, ignition switch, gas line, and some deck parts. Other than that it looks to be in great shape, being garage kept and used in a yard that is too small for that type of tractor. I'm looking into it as a second tractor to my new Bx2380 for mowing around all my trees on my very hilly property. What else should I look out for if I were to check out the tractor in person, and what should I offer for it?

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Do a search for 3000 series discussions, cool thing about 3000's is many things are shared with all models, so things said about any of them apply to many. The hour count is high, but if it still looks good that's a sign it was well maintained and treated well.

Bill

·
Ejl in Pa.
567 Posts
I agree with Bill that the hour count is very high. If it were me I would do a compression check on the engine before buying it. That is a lot of hours for even a well maintained engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, looks like most of the issues I've came across while searching the forum haven't really been anything that would scare me away from the tractor. I plan to check it out on Friday in person and evaluate it further. I don't have any way to do a compression check, unless there's a way to tell just from cranking over the engine. The higher hours dont worry me as much as long as it looks like its been kept in good mechanical shape, as it will not be my primary mower and wont really see as many hours as my new BX.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I bought my 3185 with 1095 hours. It was bought at an auction in northern Illinois by the person I bought it from. He just bought it to flip it, he was only asking $600 for it in 2016, so he couldn't have paid much for it. I got it for $500 and a Miller welding helmet. Mine had been well cared for, but not babied. I think it was owned by an institution and was serviced regularly. It currently has 1313 hours and gets used almost daily as my "helper". I think your decision to take a look at the 3184 is a good call, and know there is nothing that can't be fixed if needed.

Bill

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Too many things going on lately. I have the paint, but it is a lot of time consuming work. And it leaves the tractor laid up while I work on it. It might be too much gold, the fronts are mainly polished aluminum with gold accent. The rears will end up a reverse of that, mainly gold with polished aluminum accents. Not sure I'll like that.

I moved this discussion about rear wheel color back to my "The life of my 3185 helper tractor begins - and continues! " discussion. Please check it out and offer an opinion.

Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I never really went to look at it. Overall it had too many hours on it, and was really too big of a tractor than what I was lookin for to complement my BX2380. I found this guy about 40 mins from me and went and checked it out on Wednesday, and it came home with me Friday. Fully rebuilt engine, deck fully restored, and came with the snow blower and blade That you see in the background.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Lawn mower

Tire Wheel Lawn mower Riding mower Vehicle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts