My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new to the site and looking for some guidance in aquiring a used Horse tiller. I've looked at the new models and have found that tillers these days are either junk or $2000. I found this horse for $125 in a local classified ad which states that it is a 1970's model and that it runs. The engine appears to be an old tecumseh engine, possibly the HH60 that I have heard a lot of good things about. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller to set up a time to view it and was wondering what I should look for when inspecting it. I've heard about the tines, which I would fully expect to replace as well as any leaking around the transmission seals and tines. What else should I look for? Also does anyone have any idea what the silver looking wire or cord thing above the wheel would be for? Thanks for any tips.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
If you can grab that tiller for $125, you had better jump on it.

If my memory serves me, that is an HH60.

The tines are not that bad to replace and the price tag, again if memory serves, are around $200, if they are even needed.

From the small photo, I can't tell what the "wire" is, but the machine looks to be in pretty good cosmetic shape.

For the price, unless the engine has a hole in it and the transmission is shot, I say grab it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was kinda my thought as well. Most decent quality 80's vintage Horses here are going for $600-$800, then you can get them for $300-$500 but may need some small repairs. If this horse is in as good of condition as it looks, I still think I will be ahead if it needs a new carb or tines or seals or something. Are parts for these vintage engines still readily available?

·
22,321 Posts
I can't really answer your Tecumseh parts question. My Horse has a Kohler on it, but I haven't needed parts for it.

I have seen some saying that the Tecumseh parts are getting scarce, but I don't really know.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Yeah,don't inspect it,buy it,,you can fix it later at that price,they are even worth putting a new motor on,,,now the gear box might be a worry? and the tiller gear part?,,can you replace these,or do you have to be a master tinker[er],,

·
Citizen of Earth
15,737 Posts
Even if the Tecumseh motor is completely shot to crap, Troy-Bilt used so many different brand motors over the years that there are several that will bolt right up.

·
Registered
421 Posts
One suggestion seems certain...buy it.
It's a little older than the one I had but I believe them when they say "you don't kill it, you will it." When they talk about these machines. I would buy it for $125 if the engine didn't run.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well after 5 phone calls and 2 e-mails I finally got a hold of someone only to find out the tiller was already sold. I'm convinced that these older horse tillers are exactly what I am looking for so I will keep my eyes open. Thanks for all the feedback.

·
22,321 Posts
Tough break. Keep you eyes open. Another one will show up, but be prepared to jump on it quickly when it does.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Ditto on the jumping...
That one looked so complete and original. I would have gave $300 without a thought.... Not trying to make you feel bad but When I bought my new one years ago it was priced at $2,400 and I got it for $1,900 on sale....It was a fantastic machine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i brought my horse new in 1979. 749.00 with a hiller / furrower. gardens 100 x 120. plus tilled other poeples gardens now and then. 1 set of tine seals. three sets of tines, set of tires, 1 new carb, 1 valve job, couple belts, thats it. changed the oil couple time a season, air filter every couple years. starts every year. complete tune up kit every ten years. just changed the transmission oil this year, frist time. has the tucumsah engine. you cant beat these old tillers. take care of them and they will outlast you, problely your kids. **** you can't beat any of the old machines. when i change garden sites, wich i do every few years. i frist plow and disc the sod with a 1957 simplicity walk behind tractor or my 75 mtd 990, depending on how i feel that day, before i set the troybuilt on it. i haul wood out with a 1962 economy tractor, 9 hp. the heavy stuff gets hauled with the 990. my main lawn mower is a 24 year old craftsman. most of the stuff you can afford todays is junk. if you want to get equipment equal to these old machines, and you can, you got to shell out 12 - 15000 dollars or more for tractors, 8000 and up for tillers. i can't afford that so i take care of and keep fixen my old iron. i expect most of it will out last me. if you see another horse in that good of shape, jump on it!

·
Citizen of Earth
15,737 Posts
i brought my horse new in 1979. 749.00 with a hiller / furrower. gardens 100 x 120. plus tilled other poeples gardens now and then. 1 set of tine seals. three sets of tines, set of tires, 1 new carb, 1 valve job, couple belts, thats it. changed the oil couple time a season, air filter every couple years. starts every year. complete tune up kit every ten years. just changed the transmission oil this year, frist time. has the tucumsah engine. you cant beat these old tillers. take care of them and they will outlast you, problely your kids. ............ i expect most of it will out last me. if you see another horse in that good of shape, jump on it!
Almost the exact same experience with my 1980 tiller. Except I still have the original tine seals and have gone thru 5 sets of tines.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts