My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Winter is coming. We have outdoor ceiling fans on our deck. What should I do with them in the winter, take blades off cover motors?? Outdoor ceiling fans are new to me, any advice?

·
Citizen of Earth
15,299 Posts
I am assuming that there is a ceiling above the fans? I would think that would provide enough shelter to protect them with no work needing to be done. I mean, it doesn't rain on them in the summer does it?

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Are they plastic or wood blades ?

I have a Hunter outdoor fan on my covered back porch, it's been out there for 10 years and I've never done anything but clean the blades a few times a year. If it's a true "outdoor" fan I would not even worry about it. Mine can even be rained on it's that weatherproof, from above.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have had a fan on a covered deck for 12 years and never do anything for it except clean the blades. I don't mark the blades either just remove, wash and reinstall. We use it all year summer or winter not only for light but to remove the smoke from the grill, out from under the roof. It wasn't even an expensive fan, I think less than $60.00. I figure if it fails it's cheaper to replace than spend a fortune for a great one.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Have a Hunter outdoor fan for about 7 years now and never a problem and we get some pretty good winds here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2/23/19 Just had two new outdoor hunter fans ruined because of wind! I should have listened to my instinct and taken the blades off. A South Dakota winter wind completely destroyed both outdoor fans, even though we have a roof over our deck. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts