My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I joined the forum for some advice. I'm in the market for a new garden tractor and have it narrowed down to 2 models. XT1GT50 vs XT2GX50. Both are pretty similar with engine, hp and trans. The biggest difference I see is the gt50 weighs around 250 less than the GX50 and the GX50 has a locking differential. The main reason I want the garden tractor over a regular lawn tractor is that I plan on using so.e ground engaging attachments (disc plow, box blade, etc. Any input from anyone who has experience with either of these tractor's would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Hello everyone. I joined the forum for some advice. I'm in the market for a new garden tractor and have it narrowed down to 2 models. XT1GT50 vs XT2GX50. Both are pretty similar with engine, hp and trans. The biggest difference I see is the gt50 weighs around 250 less than the GX50 and the GX50 has a locking differential. The main reason I want the garden tractor over a regular lawn tractor is that I plan on using so.e ground engaging attachments (disc plow, box blade, etc. Any input from anyone who has experience with either of these tractor's would be greatly appreciated.
I think those weights are wrong. Cub probably listed the XT1 with the deck off. Mowers Direct has them listed at 615 and 700lbs which makes a lot more sense to me as they are very similar except for the XT2 having a thicker 11Ga deck.

The K58 is a pretty light duty hydro for heavy GT work and I wouldn't expect it to last a long time doing those tasks. Can they do them?--yes. Will it last doing them?--probably not long.

I had a K61 in my old Wheelhorse and it was puking hydro oil out the top of its overflow reservoir every time I mowed my hilly 2.5 acre yard indicating it was overheating at about the 2hr mowing mark. That wasn't even pulling anything but its own weight.

With those tasks in mind I'd personally gladly fork over the extra $300 and get the XT2 GX54 D fab and get diff lock and a stronger K62

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I think those weights are wrong. Cub probably listed the XT1 with the deck off. Mowers Direct has them listed at 615 and 700lbs which makes a lot more sense to me as they are very similar except for the XT2 having a thicker 11Ga deck.

The K58 is a pretty light duty hydro for heavy GT work and I wouldn't expect it to last a long time doing those tasks. Can they do them?--yes. Will it last doing them?--probably not long.

I had a K61 in my old Wheelhorse and it was puking hydro oil out the top of its overflow reservoir every time I mowed my hilly 2.5 acre yard indicating it was overheating at about the 2hr mowing mark. That wasn't even pulling anything but its own weight.

With those tasks in mind I'd personally gladly fork over the extra $300 and get the XT2 GX54 D fab and get diff lock and a stronger K62

Steve,

I thought you would pop in here and lend a hand.

If he wants ground engaging, would the XT3 be a better option?

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Steve,

I thought you would pop in here and lend a hand.

If he wants ground engaging, would the XT3 be a better option?

CCMoe
Yes but it is much more expensive. The XT3s without a deck are more expensive than the XT2 GX54 is with a deck.

I thought I was gonna buy my XT3 and use it for everything but was worried about tasking it to do grading and plowing etc. I ultimately found it was easier to have a dedicated mower--XT3 and a separate ground engaging use GT--3240. I wouldn't hesitate to use the XT2 for a dedicated mower and find a 3000 series for GT work but I do love the power steering on my XT3.

Reactions: CCMoe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys I really appreciate the knowledgeable input. I'm afraid the xt3 is out of the budget (especially after cost of attachments). The gx54 may be the answer but it too cuts a little deeper into the budget.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Since you mentioned ground engaging implements, it seems like a beefier machine may justify the cost. I'm not saying XT3 (unless you went used?). But the XT2 might be worth saving for a bit longer. People's uses rarely seem to get smaller over time :) And you're already listing some serious-sounding stuff. The locking differential could be very nice, if pulling difficult stuff.

If an extra $500 for something like the XT2 means it lasts for 15 years, rather than 5, that might be worth it.

And if you chose to consider used, you'd have more options, including XT3-level machines. If the condition is solid, a used XT3-type machine might better handle heavy work than a new XT1, etc. But I can understand being apprehensive of the older machines, like the ones with a reputation for being really rugged (the "they don't make 'em like they used to" kind, maybe like 60s, 70s). I was too nervous to go down that path. But maybe something like a "middle ground" age, like a 3xxx series Cub?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Spend about 2,000.00 or under, for a nice 3200 series, if it has medium hours, under 900 or so. Have a GOOD mechanic look it over, take it for a good test drive.....and you should have a long time member of your family!...( Look well past shiny paint, and new looking labels )

·
Super Moderator
15,894 Posts
Just so You Know the XT2GX50. does not Have diff/lock the GX 54 D Has Diff/lock XT1GT50 & XT2GX50 Both use a K58 trans with Out diff lock The GX54D has a K62 with Diff/lock very similar to a K66 XT2 GX54 D FAB - 14D7A6CA010 | Cub Cadet US If Going with a Garden tractor for Ground engaging I recommend the GX54 D especially if Plowing with a 10 inch Plow over any K58. We Bought a GX54D for a friend of ours about 3 years ago He uses it for Mowing several acres 1/2acre & 3/4 acre Lots equaling Maybe 6 acres a week and snow removal Here is a attachment that will do both your disc & Plowing work On the XT1 or XT2 Plus the XT3 Series Bercomac I hope to get one for My XT3 GSX this year sometime (y)

Reactions: country fried
1 - 9 of 9 Posts