My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked my 1200 the other day and it was running fine. Got it out a few days later and it will only run with almost full choke? I had washed out the tank & cleaned the float bowl a few weeks ago. I know I will need to clean the carb!!! What do you guys think?:crybaby:

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
I think you're right...you'll need to clean the carb.

I've been surprised about how fast methanol can ruin good, fresh fuel. And even more surprised how fast methanol combats the longevity of fuel stabilizers as well. That crap (Methanol) crystalizes in a few months, dislodges from the bowl and aluminum surfaces and, ultimately, clogs the needle, seat and jet(s). (IMHO :D)

Mark

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Alcohol likes to be 95% pure. Meaning it will readily absorb 5% water. Now that may sound like a good thing and it can be. BUT that water can also condense out. A little water will 'clog' a jet by not allowing gas in.
Happened all the time on my 1872 for some reason. It loved to condense water. That happened before this 'gasahol' too.
Funny. Back in the 70's we had 'gasahol' after gas price spiked up. They threw gasahol at us and we found out it was horrible for the engines of that era. But i think the engines of today withstand it fine. But that doesn't mean it doesn't degrade faster than 'real' gas.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I filled my outboard's tank with gas with ethanol last month and let it sit out on the lift in the rain for 3 weeks. This was not a problem before the marina started using ethanol laced gasoline. Seems the ethanol separated out the moisture that built up in the tank and when I started it, or tried to, I got a load of water in the carb. It took and hour or so to get it run out of there. The locals recommend Sta-Bil Blue, for Marine applications for gas with Ethanol. I will never go without it now in any engine that sits for extended periods.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stabil blue is good stuff. Added it to my boat which did not want to idle. Added the recomended amount and it is fine now. The fuel was over three months old and I had about 80 gallons in the boat. Added 8 oz and it is fine. Use 1 oz per 10 gallons. Costs $32.00 for 32 oz. Not cheap but it save lots of problems. I use it all the time now in my yard equipment and both boats. Find it a good marine supplier or order from West Marine.

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I cleaned the carb. up good. The main fuel needle point was bent and covered in black stuff. Straitend it and cleaned the very small holes in it out with a small wire. Purchased a carb repair kit. New gaskets & fuel needle & seat. Set all 3 screws to the factory settings & reinstalled. Turned the key & the think purrrrs like a kitten!!!!!! I think it run better than it ever has, at least since I have had it. Thanks Guys for all you advice.!!!:thanku:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts